Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Atlantic Way. Bad Roads

Tyre damage. Suspension etc. I’d rather hire a van next time. As well as danger to life.

There is nothing you will (or can) damage by driving the Irish roads. Just search youtube for T5 offroad and see what you can safely do with a car like this. Tyres will hold, the suspension will hold. Driving 130 on the highway causes more stress on the suspension and tyres than an old Irish road will ever do. If you don't feel safe driving on this kind of roads just don't go there - not even with a hired one.

I'm not a daredevil and I can imagine you want you precious cali to stay undamaged. If you like travelling around in Ireland (or Croatia, Norway, the Italian alps to mention a few) you can drive as fast as you feel safe to do. Locals will always overtake you as soon as you make way and there is no need to hurry.

Last edited:
I love Ireland and I love the small country roads. I don’t want motorways I never proposed replacing the country roads with motorways. But resurfacing and repairing the existing roads would be great. And reducing the unrealistic speed limit on roads that you can barely fit two car widths in from 100kph to say 80kph.
I only have my Cali for 10 months so I guess I am a bit cautious and it is painful walloping over potholes eroded surfaces. The trip was great but could have been amazing with just minimal changes. It seems to me the roads haven’t been upgraded for 30 years. Despite those complaints I highly recommend the WAW and the Cali is the vehicle for the job.

Completed WAW this year and found roads no worse than our Scottish single track although no ‘passing place’ signs. Everyone mannered though and I prefer the enforced slow pace to see stuff. Didn’t enjoy so much the wider faster roads as more attention had to be paid to faster traffic but at least many of these roads have wide hard shoulders for slower traffic, great idea. The height and suspension with 17 inch wheels on our Cali felt ideal for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk