T5 SE 180
Some people do, some people don't.
The ones who do seem to fall into various categories:
The vehicle;
A particular activity, e.g. cycling, hiking;
A particular hobby, e.g. tractors, motorbikes;
Pets, primarily dogs;
Locations, U.K. and overseas;
Weird and wonderful and just plain wacky.
Did you choose something that you particularly like and want others to see?
Did you choose to convey a message?
Did you choose to ensure that your avatar was immediately recognisable?
I'm interested to know what motivated your avatar decision.
You know who you are.

Because for a year we didn't have a Cali but we did have a Pepper Pig trike , and oh yes Susi Sue is my wife, and a very good one, and an avid Cali wild camper.

Becasue it's a VW bus (sort of).

I see a lot of me in the character

He was Scottish as am I (I know James Doohan was Canadian)
Can be left in charge for a while, but doesn't desire command rather be in the engine room
Can see beauty in engineering

Because the naïve silhouet is still inspired by this first basic Ben Pon sketch from 1947, and because there's more to this than meets the eye.

Original-VW-Camper-Sketch-1.jpgRene-Magritte-La-Trahison-des-images-Ceci-nest-pas-une-pipe-1929-Courtesy-of-Centre-Pompidou.jpg

Last edited:
Since we had a mascot on our T4, I decided to move this over. It’s part of ensuring the Cali is seen as a fun camper and not a plumbers van!
Seem appropriate to have this uniqueness as an avatar.

Because this character is what we named our van. Can you guess who it is?

”there’s a farm called misery but of it we’ll have none.........because we know of one that’s always lots of fun”

Thoughts courtesy of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band.

Life should always be like that :cheers

Cover of Gentle Giant’s eponymous album. Always a fan especially when my uncle (going back to the 70s) was given the vinyl by the group who he’d been giving some saxophone lessons to, back in Pompey.

It reminds me of the good times.
Being in a fabulous place with a fabulous van.

OK I'll tell you (I don't think this warrants suspense). It's Hector, from the film "Coco" about the Mexican celebration of Day of the Dead. Kids love the film, we thought the name suited our van.

Because it’s one of the good places our van has taken us !

Because someone once confused the name of our van “Amarillo” with “armadillo”. When an old school friend showed me the armadillo he’d drawn for a book of children’s poems he had written, I could not resist the pun.

I think I should change my profile name - the van is called Goldilocks - the third van - the best. First one (rented) was very noisy and nearly got stuck because of 2WD. Second one (rented again) was on a standard suspension and was all over the place with my spirited driving. The third - met all my needs - 4MO and VBAir and glides along.

Also, Goldilocks - because my daughter loved the story when she was small and the van also had a golden tinge.

OK, let me figure out how to change my profile name now :)

Which I have indeed traversed. But not in a Cali.
From a remote position you directed me across that pass. The Blofeldesque power you felt caused you to change your avatar from the selfie you previously used to the Bond villain.

Last edited:
Back