Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Tesla model 3 LR owner. Hands down best car I’ve ever owned. Speed, tech, supercharger network, range/efficiency is best there is.

Teslas require NO official servicing.

No other manufacturer has mastered OTA updates like tesla.

For me, it’s a no brainer.

Teslas require NO official servicing.
Their after sales reviews are pretty poor.

Hopefully they'll catch up and understand that some customers appreciate service and assistance when their products don't behave as they intended them too.

The new Hyundai Ionic 5 trumps the lot....lucky enough to have driven one already (although they are not due at the dealers until next month). Really really cool looking car and brilliant tech and drive. Complete game changer in my view. Starts at £36k and that spec good enough for most people.

Agree the Ioniq looks really cool. We have an ID3 and love it. Was the cheapest option through my company scheme and ticks the boxes for us. No software issues!

Their after sales reviews are pretty poor.

Hopefully they'll catch up and understand that some customers appreciate service and assistance when their products don't behave as they intended them too.
I agree some people have had issues, but it’s the vocal minority. Expensive cars do attract a lot of entitlement. Which is fair enough. I know of 6 model 3s in my network and no one has had major issues. I had my glass replaced after a crack. Booked it in on the app, dropped it off, collected it, no issues. Also the ranger service can repair many things at your home.
Tesla do not rely on dealerships to milk further money from customers.

Consensus is that the made in China cars are beter quality compared to US made cars. The German made model Y will be even better.

I agree. I drive deliver the current model all over the country which does show up the inadequacy of the charging infrastructure. I have nine apps and 2 charge cards to use the current, and at times woeful, charging network. The increased range of the new model will take away the hours of fun I have route planning. It will also cut down my work hours, no longer will it take 2 1/2 hours longer to get to Glasgow or Edinburgh than it does to get back in a ICE car. So less pay too ☹️

When I was an apprentice we used to do a lot of work for Unigate Dairies. Their vehicles would go all day on a single charge...Only thing is milk floats are not that quick....
Your real name isn't Pat Mustard per chance?

I agree. I drive deliver the current model all over the country which does show up the inadequacy of the charging infrastructure. I have nine apps and 2 charge cards to use the current, and at times woeful, charging network. The increased range of the new model will take away the hours of fun I have route planning. It will also cut down my work hours, no longer will it take 2 1/2 hours longer to get to Glasgow or Edinburgh than it does to get back in a ICE car. So less pay too ☹️
This is why the supercharger network is priceless. It just works and is being expanded all the time. I did Aberdeen to Leeds, left on a full charge and only an extra 30 mins compared to ICE car. And autopilot 90% of the way made it very relaxing.

I am now on my fourth EV, a Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

I have had 3x BMW i3 before, one of each of the different battery sizes, with the smaller two being with the REX.

The Tesla is (IMHO) a complete ICE replacement. The supercharger network is flawless and totally reliable. The car itself in terms of build, material quality is all fine. I've had Audis, bmws, VWs etc before and this is in the mix. Not the best, not the worst. The way VW and Audi are going with their interior quality, Tesla will be on top before long.

The real good stuff on the Tesla is the hardware underneath and just how well thought out it is as an EV. Games, Netflix, Web browser etc may seem like a gimmick until you are sat charging for 20 mins with nothing to do. Wife and I sat and watched another episode of modern family on Netflix whilst charging the other day when doing a 300 mile trip, just quite handy.

The large central screen just makes sense and works as quick as the latest iPad, graphics processing how it should be done, not like it was designed a decade ago.

I am not a total fanboy though - the autopilot is too nervous and the paint depth could be better. I wish the glass roof had a movable shade on it (car does get hot!) and I wish it also came with a key fob to make opening the frunk easier when you are outside (I know you can buy one from Tesla).

I've driven MANY other EVs including the i3, id3, e-208, e-2008, e-niro, Kona, ioniq and out of that lot it is only the e-niro and Kona I'd consider now over the Tesla.

i3 - marmite car. Quality very good, range not great even with 120ah battery model (44kw). Performance good and driving good. i3s is quite hard riding and a bit bouncy. Feels big and airy inside. Very very good in city/town driving due to brilliant turning circle. Adaptive LED matrix headlights very good. Camera-only adaptive cruise is rubbish.
id3 - interior poor quality, drive is a bit boring, range is average unless having the (overpriced) max model
e-208 - lovely interior and quality. Looks fantastic, quite small, range poor for a 50kw battery
e-2008 - as per e-208 with even less range
e-niro - feeling a bit old inside but quality good. Ride a little unsettled but excellent efficiency and very good Tesla-rivialling range. Loaded with spec too
kona - as per e-niro, but with even more range as is slightly smaller
ioniq - good at feeling like a normal (ice) car, range excellent for size of battery but still quite limited when many offerings now have 200-300 mile real world range

Model 3 or wait for the Model Y early next year (fingers crossed)

Model 3 or wait for the Model Y early next year (fingers crossed)
Made in China model Y are due to be delivered in aug/sep. RHD are being made for Hong Kong, so they might divert a few to U.K.? Otherwise I expect giga berlin will make ours?

new paint tech, new battery tech and maybe new construction tech will make the Berlin one model Y 2.0. That’s the one I’ll change my model 3 for.

Made in China model Y are due to be delivered in aug/sep. RHD are being made for Hong Kong, so they might divert a few to U.K.? Otherwise I expect giga berlin will make ours?

new paint tech, new battery tech and maybe new construction tech will make the Berlin one model Y 2.0. That’s the one I’ll change my model 3 for.

Not sure if the will start shipping RHD Model Y from Shanghai or bot first, but defo feels like the Berlin will be the one to wait for

Thank you everyone for your insightful comments. In the end we have gone for a turquoise ID3 68Kw 145ps for around 26k. I've been told that this will be up to 20 weeks owing to chip shortages.

You wont be dissappointed. I think they are a great drive.

Would love a small electric car to go with the van. To be used for the 95% of our journeys that are less than 10 miles.

Sadly my employer (big 4 firm of 16,000 people) has stopped offering an electric car scheme. This, with the accompanying tax savings, is what made an electric car appeal on cost for me.

So we have just bought a 3 year old petrol Up! Great so far but very jealous of the e208 and Honda e talk :)

Would love a small electric car to go with the van. To be used for the 95% of our journeys that are less than 10 miles.

Sadly my employer (big 4 firm of 16,000 people) has stopped offering an electric car scheme. This, with the accompanying tax savings, is what made an electric car appeal on cost for me.

So we have just bought a 3 year old petrol Up! Great so far but very jealous of the e208 and Honda e talk :)
my wife works for a big company and they have said they can't afford to fit and run 2000 charging points. when you can charge up in a few minutes for 1000 range . ill think about one then.

my wife works for a big company and they have said they can't afford to fit and run 2000 charging points. when you can charge up in a few minutes for 1000 range . ill think about one then.
Make sense. That’s not the issue for my employer. It’s more about lowering access costs for people via tax incentives.

100 miles of range would last me two weeks. I don’t mind if that takes several hours to charge up at night.

That's interesting. I wonder why they feel that they would need to install charge points? Modern EVs now are regularly having 200+ mile real world ranges so charging at work is more of a convenience rather than a requirement, especially as home charge points suit many people too.

Presumably they haven't previously had bunkered fuel for staff car use on site?

Many companies partner with an EV charge point operator too, striking a deal Capex vs revenue take from the charges levied to the users etc.

Make sense. That’s not the issue for my employer. It’s more about lowering access costs for people via tax incentives.

100 miles of range would last me two weeks. I don’t mind if that takes several hours to charge up at night.

7 miles a day…?
It’s no wonder the environment is in the state it is. I wish the government would introduce pay per mile charging to help cut congestion, pollution and unnecessary journeys via car usage.

7 miles a day…?
It’s no wonder the environment is in the state it is. I wish the government would introduce pay per mile charging to help cut congestion, pollution and unnecessary journeys via car usage.
An average of seven miles yes. I hope you understand that means I don’t drive exactly 7 miles every day. Nor does it make them any less necessary because they average out at a low number.

But yes, I do wish the government provided more suitable alternatives.

I also assume and note that we both drive VW diesel vans :)

7 miles a day…?

Depends on the use case.

7 miles could be all country lanes with no public transport. One way up steep hills. Could be some people physically can’t walk or cycle 7 miles a day. Maybe they carry equipment for work.

Let’s not be too quick to judge.

Just loaded our two new Brompton e-bikes into the boot of our 19 year old Golf Anniversary for a holiday. Will restrict our trips to the range of the bikes. If the batteries run flat, no worry about finding charging points for us, just pedal. Bit restrictive though, and not that suitable for touring in the Lake District or the Scottish Highlands!

Back