Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Will Hyundai stick this hybrid into production? They have released some interesting cars.
This is another head turner…

FB85878B-37A0-4D6A-A64A-DF964E470543.jpeg

3AF450AD-DD83-4DC0-B85B-4ECA104E1BCA.jpeg

931DE596-2C92-4F88-B10A-8DAA179DAF8A.jpeg

C6BC1D0E-8330-47A9-AB5B-82CE6E45E944.jpeg

Nice. A bit Quattro-esque, if that’s even a word.

However, I thought the IONIQ 5 looked good in photos but had a look round one recently and hated it, looked like a normal car with some cheap body panels stuck on, don’t think that design will age well.

I had an interesting conversation with my sister about an hour ago.

We were bringing Max back from the vets and was passed by a very nice Jaguar Coupe. She asked me did I still miss my XKR, which I've often said was my loveliest car ever.

I honestly had to think about it, before answering that I can't ever see me paying a premium price for a car again. We were in the Cupra, which, apart from some trivial bits of irritation with the VW infotainment system, is quite lovely.

So, I'm not sat on animal hide, instead sat in a very comfortable bucket seat covered in recycled plastic recovered from the ocean. Whisper quiet, 0-60 in just over 7 seconds, lovely sound system, very well planted on the road. A really nice driving experience.

Probably an age thing, but I quite enjoy driving something costing less than £40k which gives me just as much pleasure as something double the price would.

cupra.jpeg

@GrannyJen great post.
I think you’ve bought a little cracker with that Seat, (cough) sorry Cupra. Great car.

I consider myself an ex-petrolhead. Love cars, especially VW Buses and Porsches it’s just in the blood. But, I must admit. My works van Nissan EV is brilliant. Hated it 5 years ago, wasn’t ready for the change. But it hasn’t had a single failure, nothing.
OK, the battery is rubbish, but it’s first gen tech. The newer ones are a lot better. But the drive and the way it is around town is cracking. It flies along without any noise or rattles and handles superb.
Yeah, I’ve proper converted to the EV thing. Took some time, but I think they’re great and would even consider one that cost more to run than some 2.0l diesel hypermiler…

@GrannyJen great post.
I think you’ve bought a little cracker with that Seat, (cough) sorry Cupra. Great car.

Some things were meant to be. I had just returned from my local VW dealer who laughed like a drain when I said I wanted an ID3. "Sorry luv, over 12 months waiting time....".

Came home, went on auto trader, rang the Cupra dealer in Woking who was selling his demo, "sorry luv, Demo sold .... wait though, we have a cancellation, just delivered, Dark blue, V2......"

Deposit passed over in 10 minutes, deal agreed for the Fabia trade in, brought it home 3 days later. Just a lovely little place to be in. The camper is always going to be the long distance transport, which means El Toro can just sit in the drive, being refuelled from my Solar panels via the 3 pin, which means it doesn't draw more than my panels can produce, and always ready for an up to 200 miles trip.

Last edited:
Jen you’ve made a great choice, I couldn’t imagine not having our model 3 now, simply incredible to think about given the ICE cars I’ve owned, still miss my Elise but I even hire ours out now and it’s utility is increasing by the day.

Just been looking at Twizys , could be a giggle for nipping to the shops?

431DB8DF-7CA8-408E-B0BC-699DF24AE232.jpeg

This is what you need @sidepod, I call it the Happy Shopper with a Volspeed V4 laughing chip…;)

Zooooom….

Very interesting. I was thinking of getting a Volspeed dongle for my Cube hybrid. Is it as easy to fit as they say?

Easy enough to do.
It’s all plug and play, no cutting etc.
Whe the bike initially turns on, it defaults to standard mode. If you want super turbo, hold down - for 5 seconds and your off. The displays still works as normal with speed and distance shown, unlike some chips which will be blank.
So far it’s been fine and increases speed to about 27mph, makes such a difference. I could probably go faster, but limited by the bikes gearing, the legs spin pretty quick at that speed.

This is my eeb option for shop nipping. I just like the Twizy. For £7-9k, it’s not gonna break the bank. 4491A44E-8DE0-4659-A968-04ECEFF1C7F7.jpeg

I see that some are saying that with the electricity price rise, and more to come, that some electric cars will be more expensive to "fuel" than ICE vehicles. Not seen any numbers to confirm this yet.
Right first bill in under Octopus Go. 382kwh for last month (note that some of this now goes into storage batteries) at a cost of £28.65.

Lets say £20 for 870miles covered (mostly around town / extra urban / communting). So we would need to find a diesel car capable of 381mpg where the average speed is around 30mph

Right first bill in under Octopus Go. 382kwh for last month (note that some of this now goes into storage batteries) at a cost of £28.65.

Lets say £20 for 870miles covered (mostly around town / extra urban / communting). So we would need to find a diesel car capable of 381mpg where the average speed is around 30mph
Enjoy while it last. Once we all switch to electric we'll get the VAT at 20% instead of 5% and the equivalent charge of the 52.95 pence per litre tax applied to a kW of electricity too. Guaranteed we'll never be able to cover 870mile with 20quids. Ealy adopters like you are benefiting at the moment.

Enjoy while it last. Once we all switch to electric we'll get the VAT at 20% instead of 5% and the equivalent charge of the 52.95 pence per litre tax applied to a kW of electricity too. Guaranteed we'll never be able to cover 870mile with 20quids. Ealy adopters like you are benefiting at the moment.

Regardless of future costs.
The less IC vehicles on the road the better. Especially in inner city urban areas…

1666732323200.gif

Hybrid owner since 2015, the BMW is the 3rd one.

Probably less now going forward as I have 14.7kwh of batteries that charge up. So electric costs next month with the £66 will be a negative figure.

Back