Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which caravan is best?

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
It always happens - when we get away on our hols, particularly our 2 week one as we are now, we start to relax and think ahead to our early retirement plan which I hope will be in 4 years or so.
Until now we were thinking of upsizing to a motorhome (Burstner, Dethleffs, Adria etc) but we're struggling to find anything we like in terms of an enlarged living area that we could both stretch out on.
By accident I was on Adria's website last night and thought I'd found the perfect seating arrangement only to realise I was I their caravan section, which gave me a bit of a lightbulb moment - what about ditching the motorhome idea and instead buying a new Ocean and caravan to go with it?
Leaving the money to one side it seems like the perfect idea to me as we'd have the Cali for day to day camping and for quiet out of the way sites (or most of Cornwall!) and the caravan for longer trips with the added bonus of having the Cali to bomb about in during the day if needed.
So are there any former/current/potential caravan owners on here who know what would be a good choice of caravan to compliment the Cali? We'd be interested in something modern with a curved front roof and a C shaped seating area.

I realise that this is possibly the wrong forum to ask this question in but I didn't really want to have to join a caravan forum to ask one question (though I probably will do if nobody on here can help).

Adria look quite nice but I have no idea where they stand in terms of quality etc.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well, if you think that it will work for you then why not. I wonder how many others do this?

Ideal if you are taking the mother in law.

Funny you should say that! She has her own VW camper but might make things easier if she stayed in one of our units.

I used to love my caravans but tended to go for smaller rather than larger, until I was tempted by the fixed bed. For me that did it, no faffing around every night converting living space into bedroom. The last one I had was a 2004 model disposed of in 2008 so I am a bit out of touch now.

When we hired out a Cali a few weeks ago I did see someone with a very small caravan behind their Cali in the campground. It was pretty small but did give them added storage and space, I'm not sure what was inside so I can't say what extra was in there.

We have been through 3 caravan's and a motorhome and I can't think of going back to towing something again. But I can understand having the extra facilities while camping. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the Cali XXL goes into production because it seems like something we would be interested in for a bit more full time camping.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree about the whole thing but I've just seen a lovely gold coloured Burstner caravan being towed near the site we're staying at at Lake Annecy. I think my evening will be spent looking at their website!

We tow a small caravan in the UK but run free on the continent. Nobody, how well informed they think they are, can answer your question because we are all different in the compromises we will accept. What you like I might hate and vice a versa. Just look to see what works for you.
On the continent we are staying in more mobile homes because the deals you can get means you can have reasonable accommodation for little more than a pitch fee. Bad weather coming, on the internet and get yourself warm and cosy in a mobile. Still got the Cali for days out.
Just starting third week of four in France and currently in a Gite because our son decided he would come out on his motorbike and join us for a week. During our time over here we have talked with 3 other Cali owners doing the same thing.
It's what 'rocks your boat'.

Yes understood, everyone is different.
I suppose I was hoping that there might be a few people on here who had done it.
I've never been the slightest bit interested in towing a caravan before but I'm going to explore all the options before we decide what to do.

On the wine now. Having possibly inferred that I wouldn't give advice, what I would say is remember the weight of the Cali to start with and the 'train weight' with a caravan in tow. I have a small caravan, Bailey Orion 2 berth which at max is 1076kg. I know, weigh bridge, that I'm not near that. The magic figure is 3.5 ton when you need 'Grandad rights' to tow or drive a big white whale.. I have that and because I'm over 70 had to have a sort of medical to prove I'm healthy enough to retain them for 3 years.
Ignoring that you want to have the necessary power to tow comfortably. I know how important that is, over 30 years towing and I'll leave others to decide what experience I have or learnt.
As a boss said to me once about somebody else who had said, 'I have 25 years experience' to which my boss said to me '1 years experience repeated 25 times'.
Bugger, glass is empty, where's that wine bottle.

I think I'm ok with my licence as I'm old enough to have the extra rights over the younger whippersnappers these days but it's something I would check a bit nearer the time.
Don't want to get too excited about it yet as it's still 4 years away but I'm certainly weighing up options.
Get that next bottle opened that's what I'm doing now!

Friends have recently bought the Swift base camp plus . They wanted a small caravan to tow .

Last edited:
Friends have recently bought the Swift base camp plus . Their wanted a small caravan to tow .
Thanks will have a look. Not tonight though as just about to watch the doctor foster cliffhanger (series 1)!
The joys of being on holiday!

It always happens - when we get away on our hols, particularly our 2 week one as we are now, we start to relax and think ahead to our early retirement plan which I hope will be in 4 years or so.
Until now we were thinking of upsizing to a motorhome (Burstner, Dethleffs, Adria etc) but we're struggling to find anything we like in terms of an enlarged living area that we could both stretch out on.
By accident I was on Adria's website last night and thought I'd found the perfect seating arrangement only to realise I was I their caravan section, which gave me a bit of a lightbulb moment - what about ditching the motorhome idea and instead buying a new Ocean and caravan to go with it?
Leaving the money to one side it seems like the perfect idea to me as we'd have the Cali for day to day camping and for quiet out of the way sites (or most of Cornwall!) and the caravan for longer trips with the added bonus of having the Cali to bomb about in during the day if needed.
So are there any former/current/potential caravan owners on here who know what would be a good choice of caravan to compliment the Cali? We'd be interested in something modern with a curved front roof and a C shaped seating area.

I realise that this is possibly the wrong forum to ask this question in but I didn't really want to have to join a caravan forum to ask one question (though I probably will do if nobody on here can help).

Adria look quite nice but I have no idea where they stand in terms of quality etc.

Any ideas?

Have a look at the Eriba Troll, we used to have one of these and it was excellent, 'aluminium construction and very well built'. Same width as the Cali. We once towed our Eriba up and over the Col du Glandon on our way to Alp D'huez.

Have a look at the Eriba Troll, we used to have one of these and it was excellent, 'aluminium construction and very well built'. Same width as the Cali. We once towed our Eriba up and over the Col du Glandon on our way to Alp D'huez.
Nice one thanks I'll have a look

I have no idea, and I see myself as far from the segment wanting a caravan (at the moment), as other said you can probably best answer the question yourself. But I think you would have great help of visiting one of the camping-motor-shows around. And maybe join a Campervan forum - there might come more than one question as you get along anyway. You might have a look at the Adria Action its modern and with a lot of light coming in, and not particularly big.

I caravanned for many years and watched them increase in comfort but also in weight, kept having to buy bigger cars to coupe.
As suggested above I'd second the Eriba range, never had one but think that they compliment the Cali for towing and longer onsite stops. Especially during inclement weather.

No more expensive for site fees than single Cali. Extra insurance, storage, servicing and depreciation (Eriba's have very little) to consider.

We've had two Eriba Trolls and wouldn't be adverse to having one again in the future, great compact caravans. However, for extended travelling I think there are probably more comfortable caravans around in terms of lounging areas etc.

A good feature about the Eriba range is that they too hold their value really well so you could try one and then sell it on very easily. Eriba's are compact but well designed so, not dissimilar to the good old Cali.

From day one of caravaning we have wanted an Eriba. The size, the style, how it sits behind a tug, it's store-ability, it's longevity and price holding. In over 30 years of 'vanning we are now on our 7th caravan and never bought an Eriba. It's such an iconic van which there lies the problem. I agree with what Seaview said.

There seems to be quite an Eriba fan club here and not surprisingly :D

Something I have looked at quite a few times in the last 12 months to complement the Cali. Compact, brilliant design, durable and hold price - as others have said. All the qualities I like about the Cali.

There seems to be quite an Eriba fan club here and not surprisingly :D

Something I have looked at quite a few times in the last 12 months to complement the Cali. Compact, brilliant design, durable and hold price - as others have said. All the qualities I like about the Cali.

We are thinking of buying one when we sell house in France

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't expecting much of a response.
I'd not even considered Eriba's before starting this thread so I'll definitely be taking a close look at them.
I was on Burstner's website last night and they've got some lovely looking caravans but as 6 or 7 berths they're a bit bigger than what we'll be after, and while there are no prices on there I'm sure they'll be mostly north of £30k.
Caravan and motorhome shows will definitely be on the cards as we get a bit nearer the time.

Another alternative to consider, just hire a Caravan to tow as and when. Avoids the problems of storage, servicing and insurance etc, especially if the annual usage is going to be limited overall, ie: limited to 2 or 3 long holidays a year.

Back