Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where would you go for ten days in December?

T

Ta51tac

Guest User
We have a conundrum, probably because we are newbies!

We have ten days off leading upto Christmas Day this year. We considered doing the NC500 but now are also thinking about hopping over to Europe and driving to Italy...

If you had ten days for an adventure in December where would you go?

Ideas grateful received.

Ferry to Bilbao or Santander (or drive down from Calais, 2 days), then coast of Portugal. Parts of the NC500 (Bealach na Bà to/from Applecross for example) could be impassable in December.
@clarinetbcn I was concerned that parts of the NC500 might be impassable. Thanks for the tips. Hadn’t thought about Portugal. :thanks

Skiing is a great idea, but I have an injury that rules it out this year unfortunately. :sorry
So, go south and relax while you recover. I’ve been there. Have recovered from foot surgery and collarbone injury. The only way forward is to recover well with patience. I’m 64 and going strong.
7FB8E060-316E-4FD2-B6C7-838E34BBAE13.jpeg

We looked at the nothern Spain crossings last December and they were still astronomically expensive. Plus you’re spending 3 of your 10 days on a ferry. In the end we bought easyJet return tickets to Athens from Bristol for £53 each, spent 3 days in Athens, then hired a car for £6 a day and drove around the Peloponnese. It was lovely.

Otherwise how about the romantic road in Germany

Last edited:

We have ten days off leading upto Christmas Day this year. We considered doing the NC500 but now are also thinking about hopping over to Europe and driving to Italy...

Ideas grateful received.
We spent several weeks in Sicily December 2017 and January 2018. The east coast (Syracuse area) is generally 2 degrees warmer than the north coast (Palermo area). Being in the rain shadow of Etna it is drier too. We spent some of our time in a self-catering house with a massive garden and paddock to the rocky beach.

It was in Calabernado that we discovered what was at the end of the rainbow.
IMG_0882.JPG

Depends if you want to brave Northern Europe weather in a California...?
Which let’s be honest. It’s not as Romantic as some Instagram feeds will suggest.

Personally, I would hit the slopes or pop over to somewhere like Morocco where the weather is usually lovely this time of year.

Depends if you want to brave Northern Europe weather in a California...?
Which let’s be honest. It’s not as Romantic as some Instagram feeds will suggest.

Personally, I would hit the slopes or pop over to somewhere like Morocco where the weather is usually lovely this time of year.
Historic cities of the UK including Canterbury, Oxford, Cambridge and York. All have decent campsites on bus routes into the centres, use the hookup to keep warm and enjoy.

Depends on destinations in Europe, consider tyres and chains if they need to be carried. We had Christmas in the Cali a few years ago went on a Whim found ourselves in Bruges (Memling) on Christmas morning, then headed into Germany and found a great site near the Nurburgring. Went to bed all was well woke up to a foot of snow. Moved North to another great site same again woke up to a foot of Snow.
The Cali performed great but remember Christmas is in Winter in some parts of the world and different laws apply regarding as said tyres/chains.
Have a great time, we might do the same again as we don't have the mothering law this year ;)

WHERE WOULD YOU GO FOR TEN DAYS IN DECEMBER?

If it includes Christmas, i'd go to ground!

Ideas grateful received.
1. Many campsites close for the winter months, not because of the weather necessarily but staff holidays and refurbishment.
2. You have a California. You can travel in style, you can camp in style But you can also stay in hotels or similar. You are not restricted. Sometimes its nice to drive and stop in a little hotel somewhere and have a nice meal and a bottle of wine when its bad weather outside.
Don't be tied to the idea " I have a California. I must Camp ". Just enjoy.
Italy in December, 6 days driving return trip unless you like long distance drives with little sightseeing and the weather could be problematic depending on your route.

Ferry to Bilbao or Santander (or drive down from Calais, 2 days), then coast of Portugal. Parts of the NC500 (Bealach na Bà to/from Applecross for example) could be impassable in December.
That's what I would do, Pompy to Santander (it's cheaper than to Bilbao) then for a few days of Moroccan sun.

Back