Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where was this photo taken?

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
OK, hoping you well travelled lot can help. I would love to know whereabouts this photo of my mother and me, was taken back in around 1979 / 1980(at a guess).

I ‘think’ it’s Cornwall and guess it could be Fowey, Falmouth or Looe … maybe. Anyone recognise that estuary hill in the background? It would probably be the south coast.

I can’t explain it but I feel the urge to go and visit the exact spot this was taken. Stu

P.s. everyone’s mum cut their hair in the 70’s okay!
4ba71fc64f2cb9b99b4774bd22a843d9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Could (can) you read the registration code on anyone of the boats ?

OK, hoping you well travelled lot can help. I would love to know whereabouts this photo of my mother and me, was taken back in around 1979 / 1980(at a guess).

I ‘think’ it’s Cornwall and guess it could be Fowey, Falmouth or Looe … maybe. Anyone recognise that estuary hill in the background? It would probably be the south coast.

I can’t explain it but I feel the urge to go and visit the exact spot this was taken. Stu

are you on the facebook group? Post on there and you may get more responses from friends of friends and people all over a bit dangerous I guess, but responses will come.

Possibly Dartmouth

I don't think its Looe - it looks too wide a stretch of water.
My first thought was that it was either Salcombe or Dartmouth up by the top ferry, but street map for neither of those is available near to where it would have been taken from.

Also reminded me of Bideford - a low hill rather than steep cliff, wide stretch of water with commercial traffic & what looks like a harbour wall along the front.

Obviously taken from a different angle but you get the idea below.

IMG_4102.jpg

Great photo. Looks like many of my family photos from the late 70s when I was virtually the same age. Cracking hair cuts!

Thanks guys. Will check photos of Dartmouth online!

I thought it might be Kingswear from Dartmouth, but just found a recent one I took and although similar, I don't think it is.
1643813786718.png

I think it might be Falmouth, taken from the little beach on the Flushing side. The pier on the extreme right of the picture looks a bit like the Greenbank Hotel.
But I also wonder if it might be Polruan, taken from the Fowey side. Really hard to tell, looking forward to the answer when you get there (and the photo!)

I think it might be Falmouth, taken from the little beach on the Flushing side. The pier on the extreme right of the picture looks a bit like the Greenbank Hotel.
But I also wonder if it might be Polruan, taken from the Fowey side. Really hard to tell, looking forward to the answer when you get there (and the photo!)

They were both my best guesses but I can’t get a decent pic of on google earth from the Fowey side as the quayside is now pedestrian only. We stayed in Mylor a few times but used to visit Falmouth, Fowey, Restronguet & Flushing - very happy memories of The Pandora inn as a child! I don’t think it’s Fowey from the Polruan side as Fowey has a distinctive skyline with trees along the top of the hill and Fowey hall etc.

Thank you - I’m still searching

Well done !!! It looks like it IS Polruan from the Fowey side - check out the object directly above my mums head on the skyline, and the long building next to it. Found this photo online

D5D278BF-3966-420D-8D41-0D8FEDD5D701.jpeg

Thanks everybody - hope you all got more work done than me today!
What a great excuse to visit Fowey again and find that wall for a snapshot!

Brilliant, thanks for that picture, the rock thing was the clue, I think there’s a place up there where we used to watch the Fowey Regatta fireworks over the river when I was a kid. Also remember sitting on the quay outside the Lugger, a lovely pub if you do get back down there to recreate your photo.

Great photo. Looks like many of my family photos from the late 70s when I was virtually the same age. Cracking hair cuts!
I suppose I should just be grateful my mother tipped the cornflakes out of the bowl before using it to cut my hair.

Well done !!! It looks like it IS Polruan from the Fowey side - check out the object directly above my mums head on the skyline, and the long building next to it. Found this photo online

View attachment 88808
That’s fantastic that its been figured out!

I suppose I should just be grateful my mother tipped the cornflakes out of the bowl before using it to cut my hair.
We all had haircuts like that then. Did you crop the photo to hide the flares?

These two features con
these two features confirm it’s the same place as in your photo

7AB763F0-662A-4D2C-BB34-E272418C7388.jpeg

Yes I had the exact same hair cut and jumper in the 70's!

Back