Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where there is no doctor: performing and reading your own ECU codes

D

Doug Curran

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I imported a German spec 2005 T5 California to Canada (15 year old import admissability) and am finding some difficulty in getting the engine Fault codes read and fully accessible through my local VW dealer. Apparently, VW tightly restructs much of the coding for their vehicles to their market segments: North American access to the full vehicle code and diagnosis does not slip into the systems mounted for UK/EU vehicles. Hard to believe of such a global operation, but this is what I'm told by the service manager here in Victoria, BC.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality Code Reader that they've found useful and user friendly (as much as such an animal might possibly be)? I am looking for a full integrated unit, not simply a plug-in module with smartphone/Bluetooth connection. Preferred is a touch screen device. Price (within reason) is not the primary criteria. Costs up to perhaps 600 Pounds might be acceptable. I need to find a bridge to let me monitor and diagnose vehicle information and at present can not rely on VW's own dealers to perform this function.

cheers and thanks, Doug

I imported a German spec 2005 T5 California to Canada (15 year old import admissability) and am finding some difficulty in getting the engine Fault codes read and fully accessible through my local VW dealer. Apparently, VW tightly restructs much of the coding for their vehicles to their market segments: North American access to the full vehicle code and diagnosis does not slip into the systems mounted for UK/EU vehicles. Hard to believe of such a global operation, but this is what I'm told by the service manager here in Victoria, BC.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality Code Reader that they've found useful and user friendly (as much as such an animal might possibly be)? I am looking for a full integrated unit, not simply a plug-in module with smartphone/Bluetooth connection. Preferred is a touch screen device. Price (within reason) is not the primary criteria. Costs up to perhaps 600 Pounds might be acceptable. I need to find a bridge to let me monitor and diagnose vehicle information and at present can not rely on VW's own dealers to perform this function.

cheers and thanks, Doug
Doug, looking at your needs, have you heard about a VCDS? read more here - https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ . Well, it is a dongle/laptop combination, but considering that you want details on the codes, that seems to be the best option. 15 year old makes it a 2005 van. Do check with RossTech, which VCDS will work with your van.

There are newer tools such as a CARISTA (with a related app) that will give you lots of information, and that is worth trying before you shell out on a VCDS cable, but again, a bluetooth laptop combo.

Someone with more specific knowledge of your vehicle will be along to advise more, but not heard of any permanent attached tool with a touch screen for monitoring parameters.

Thank you, KurienP, Unfortunately the Carista units do not work with any pre-2010 T5. The Ross-tech appears to be the common unit, but is meant to be used in combination with PC laptops, which I would have to purchase as I am MAC-invested with my computers.
regards, Doug

Thank you, KurienP, Unfortunately the Carista units do not work with any pre-2010 T5. The Ross-tech appears to be the common unit, but is meant to be used in combination with PC laptops, which I would have to purchase as I am MAC-invested with my computers.
regards, Doug

AFAIK, you can run the VCDS software on a Mac (newer mac with the Intel processors). You need to run a Windows Virtual machine on your mac. Though not having used, it works as it should on a Mac. That may be your best bet based on the dealer-level information that you need.

Doug, don't be afraid to talk to the support folks at Ross-Tech. I am sure if there is a solution to your problems they will help you overcome it. From experience they are very helpful.

Thank you, Rod, I have sent an email to Santos/Don in their sales dept., explaining the problem to him. It is baffling to me that there would be layers or access of VW coding not fully exchanged with their international divisions.
My old '93 T4 was a simple vehicle in comparison, but simply becoming too old for the projects and distances I have in plan. There are perhaps 3 T5s in all BC.
Doug

Thank you, Rod, I have sent an email to Santos/Don in their sales dept., explaining the problem to him. It is baffling to me that there would be layers or access of VW coding not fully exchanged with their international divisions.
My old '93 T4 was a simple vehicle in comparison, but simply becoming too old for the projects and distances I have in plan. There are perhaps 3 T5s in all BC.
Doug
Hi Doug,

I've used VCDS on T4s, T5s and now a T6 plus lots of other VWs for friends and relatives although I am no expert with it.

Both of the following forums can offer endless expert help...

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ - includes T5s

https://www.t6forum.com/ - don't be put off by the T6 label, lots on there were T5 owners before.

Many in the UK have delved deeply into the coding possibilities on these vehicles and are most willing to assist others.

Doug
Maybe a cheap Windows Laptop + VCDS lead and software?

Carista has a 30 day free trial. App runs on a Smartphone so can be done cheaply as a try out.

cheers and thanks, Doug
I have just looked at which vw transport/multivan variants are supported with the latest (v20.12) VCDS kit. See attached image.

You will need to check which diagnostic interface socket you have. You might find that you need an adaptor cable.

I bought the vcds kit c/w all the various legacy interface cables, as I use this on some old Audi and VW vehicles.

I can certainly vouch for vcds.

I have been told by vw commercial centre technicians that vcds is more capable than VW own VAG-COM diagnostic tool.

Where abouts are you, someone on here with vcds might be willing to meet up and show you the kit.

It does need a computer/laptop.

210121 - vcds v20.12 supported VW transporterMultivan variants.JPG

I have just looked at which vw transport/multivan variants are supported with the latest (v20.12) VCDS kit. See attached image.

You will need to check which diagnostic interface socket you have. You might find that you need an adaptor cable.

I bought the vcds kit c/w all the various legacy interface cables, as I use this on some old Audi and VW vehicles.

I can certainly vouch for vcds.

I have been told by vw commercial centre technicians that vcds is more capable than VW own VAG-COM diagnostic tool.

Where abouts are you, someone on here with vcds might be willing to meet up and show you the kit.

It does need a computer/laptop.
Hi Alan,
please let me know where I can find the software and the kit.
I''ve the TE model and I see that it's supported
I've an old laptop with xp running, I think that the program do not need so mach performance

Hi Alan,
please let me know where I can find the software and the kit.
I''ve the TE model and I see that it's supported
I've an old laptop with xp running, I think that the program do not need so mach performance
You buy the Interface Lead from Ross Technical or their retailers, with 1 or more vehicle licences , and the software is a free download.

Be aware there are cheap Chinese copies available which can be problematic.

You buy the Interface Lead from Ross Technical or their retailers, with 1 or more vehicle licences , and the software is a free download.

Be aware there are cheap Chinese copies available which can be problematic.

I bought mine from Gendan Automotive Products (search Gendan Limited) , who are an approved Ross Technical reseller. They had an offer when I bought mine.

It has proved invaluable. But I think you will need a newer OS version in order to obtain the latest software. These are provided free of charge and automatic when connected to internet.

Thanks, found it in Italy:
250 euro for at least 3 cars, free upgrade and software and email support

The basic problems with Macs is they don’t have USB ports to plug the cable into. Zero, zip, nada.
I had to use my wife’s work laptop for VCDS Lite. Her IT guy thought VCDS was hilarious. It worked to adapt new DPF sensor though. Cable was £15 on eBay. VCDS Lite free.

The basic problems with Macs is they don’t have USB ports to plug the cable into. Zero, zip, nada.
I had to use my wife’s work laptop for VCDS Lite. Her IT guy thought VCDS was hilarious. It worked to adapt new DPF sensor though. Cable was £15 on eBay. VCDS Lite free.
There are USB adapters for the Mac..

Apples are for eating not communicating with Volkswagens!

Apples are for eating not communicating with Volkswagens!
Well Apple Macs can run Windows but I'm not sure if Windows can run OS 12.12.

yes, windows can run mac (on oracle virtual box), but unfortunately do not work good!
I use both for work, windows and mac but on 2 different machine

Back