Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where should we go in Spain and France?

Where the N/D86 comes up from Pont Saint Esprit it crosses the Ardeche river. Look over the bridge and there are 3 campsites with in the summer a lovely beach on the river. There are also a number of village type restaurants. St Martin is up the river and from there you can hire a canoe. They take you to the top of the river and you return down the gorge by paddle power. Magic.
Pont St Esprit is an attractive old town on the river with a market .
Also close to Orange and Avignon
We have spent many holidays there with the kids and on our own
All this is almost 3 years old so I can’t guarantee it is still the same after Covid! But we will be back there this year To find out!

Where the N/D86 comes up from Pont Saint Esprit it crosses the Ardeche river. Look over the bridge and there are 3 campsites with in the summer a lovely beach on the river. There are also a number of village type restaurants. St Martin is up the river and from there you can hire a canoe. They take you to the top of the river and you return down the gorge by paddle power. Magic.
Pont St Esprit is an attractive old town on the river with a market .
Also close to Orange and Avignon
We have spent many holidays there with the kids and on our own
All this is almost 3 years old so I can’t guarantee it is still the same after Covid! But we will be back there this year To find out!
Agree. I recommend the Ardeche region. Beautiful area and great place to holiday.

Yes, we live exactly in this region , totally agree its fantastic, however in peak season Ardeche can get a lot of tourists , try the Gard , which sits alongside it for a less busy experience and as beautiful region

Some great suggestions here. Family holidays were spent mainly in more westerly and southern parts of France. Hadn't considered the Ardeche region but it does look lovely. I guess I will have to explore this area when my Coast finally arrives.
Thumbs up too for the Gard. The Roman aquaduct and Uzes are well worth a visit.

The Massif Central is a very beautiful region in France. For example Languedoc-Roussillon, Puy-de-Dôme but also Aveyron and Ardèche and much more is worth a visit. My tip: stay away from the péages and look for the smaller roads that lead you into the mountains, among other things. Before you know it you have a beautiful view of Clermont-Ferrand and much more.

Travelling down South , as I did last night try the route A71 and A75 via Calais , Rouen, Chartres , Orleans, Clemont Ferrand , Mende, then pick up whatever direction you like East or West on an N road. The route South above is almost toll free compared to the A7...an excellent aire to stop is here, by this hotel. Very very quiet .

I would dip into the blue route a little bit and then head back up the green route.
Seaside route for me at the ending of a holiday.

07315FE3-FB49-4E59-98BD-AC7FE57D0D0C.jpeg
Looking like Purple I think. Want to do a bit of Pyrenees, Languedoc/Roussillon then perhaps Ile Noirmoutier or Ile de Ré via Loire. Back via Brevedent campsite.
Simples, sort of.

Last edited:
View attachment 92546
Looking like Purple I think. Want to do a bit of Pyrenees, Languedoc/Roussillon then perhaps Ile Noirmoutier or Ile de Ré via Loire. Back via Brevedent campsite.
Simples, sort of.
Looks great! The islands are extremely touristy but well worth a visit. We did Île de Ré and Île d'Oléron and stayed on each one for a week or so. This summer we are doing Île de Noirmoutier.
Have fun and enjoy.

All deposits paid for 5 sites. Pretty much as predicted in purple!
Took forum advice on Ile de Ré sites and decided best to book. Then inevitably decided to reserve everywhere. Never been to Ile de Re or Pyrenees before, and looking forward to having pixtos in San Sebastien again!
DDC0F8B2-A1A8-43C5-9BAB-899E9483AA57.jpeg
Many thanks for help.

Last edited:
Travelling down South , as I did last night try the route A71 and A75 via Calais , Rouen, Chartres , Orleans, Clemont Ferrand , Mende, then pick up whatever direction you like East or West on an N road. The route South above is almost toll free compared to the A7...an excellent aire to stop is here, by this hotel. Very very quiet .
Yes, we are there now camping for the night just off the A71 before Clermont Ferrand. The campsite, isLa Cocinelle is new to us but is beautifully kept, has a small restaurant and they have arranged for blue skies and sun for us. Bliss

Back