Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When is it too windy?

GrahamBland

GrahamBland

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Looking for some advise on when I should consider the wind is too strong to pop the roof for fear of structural damage, ripping the canvas etc.

I have had the roof up in good force 6+ conditions but when gusts get above 35 knots I get nervous and close up. Obviously the orientation of the Cali is important but am I being overly cautious ? dropping the roof when it approaches gale force? :?:

It's too windy when it's too noisy to sleep ;)
Was on a cliff top last week with gusts up to 65 MPH, the roof was fine but had to bring it down due to the noise and feeling seasick with the rocking

Swaleuk, a good way of measuring :thumb
Had the roof up on many occasions in gale force winds, with the van rocking (from the wind !)and not suffered any damage. The canvas is strong, to rip It, I'm sure would need severe gale force.
My main worry in these conditions is getting the roof down without trapping the bellows.

Hubert

Swaleuk said:
It's too windy when it's too noisy to sleep ;)
Was on a cliff top last week with gusts up to 65 MPH, the roof was fine but had to bring it down due to the noise and feeling seasick with the rocking

Funny that you mention the figure of 65, as 65 knots was the maximum wind that Airliners operate. Not because it is a airframe ground limit but because it is the maximum wind that the jetty's can be operated at the airports.

Another point is that Airliners are also parked so that they are facing into high wind's. So as Graham mentioned orientation is obviously important that is parking the back of your Cali into the wind. :thumb

I guess you have to say to yourself what is the advantage of having the roof up as I would doubt you would get much sleep. :crazy

John

Back