Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When did you last need your diff lock?

This is a good argument for carrying a pump in the van. Letting the air out of the tyres is a good way to find traction.
Proper tyres, properly deflated definitely go a long way, but depending on conditions, narrow tyres overinflated can be better. Advantage of diff lock in my opinion is that it negates the need to induce wheelspin to achieve traction.

Did it turn out to be a mechanical failure or was it something you could have, had you known the right trick, handled yourself?
Mechanical failure. It was a rare (I’ve been told) sticking of the actuator. They weren’t aware that it was under warranty so the initial solution was to free the actuator and put it back. It was functioning fine in the workshop. A new actuator is about £600 plus VAT and the engineer suggested trying again with the existing one. I asked was it not covered under my extended warranty (5 -years)? He said, he wasn’t aware I had an extended warranty. He also said as the part is technically working it shouldn’t be a replacement. I asked him to do what he could. He came back to say that he had a replacement authorised. There was a wait for the part and it has now been replaced. The whole VW Assist, collection of the vehicle on a flat bed, taxi to a rental car place and a rented car for the duration all felt like good value for money. The replaced part more than covered the c £350 extended warranty too.

Mechanical failure. It was a rare (I’ve been told) sticking of the actuator. They weren’t aware that it was under warranty so the initial solution was to free the actuator and put it back. It was functioning fine in the workshop. A new actuator is about £600 plus VAT and the engineer suggested trying again with the existing one. I asked was it not covered under my extended warranty (5 -years)? He said, he wasn’t aware I had an extended warranty. He also said as the part is technically working it shouldn’t be a replacement. I asked him to do what he could. He came back to say that he had a replacement authorised. There was a wait for the part and it has now been replaced. The whole VW Assist, collection of the vehicle on a flat bed, taxi to a rental car place and a rented car for the duration all felt like good value for money. The replaced part more than covered the c £350 extended warranty too.
Note to self: Get the extended warranty!

This is a good argument for carrying a pump in the van. Letting the air out of the tyres is a good way to find traction.
I got a Ryobi cordless pump a while back and have found it a really handy thing. It's one of the "ONE+" range of tools that share 18v battery packs (I already had one of the Ryobi power drills). Rather than faff about plugging leads into 12v sockets I just wander about with it checking and correcting pressures in my various vehicles. I don't know how many tyres it'd do fully on a charge but it seems to last for ages topping up. Much more beefy than those cheap little Chinese 12v pumps but not much heavier, and I now throw it in the back of the van when on a trip.

I think a decent understanding/training of how to drive on slippery surfaces would go a long time way.

Last year we sat having breakfast watching a couple in a brand new 6 trying to drive off an almost flat pitch. It was wet but the driver just nailed the throttle and once it started spinning he just kept his foot in.

It was a good 20 minutes before the site owner turned up with his tractor.

With half an ounce of skill/understanding it simply wouldn’t have happened. One of those, “do I stand and watch or look away” moments.
Just let the foot brake off and avoid the throttle?

Just let the foot brake off and avoid the throttle?
There is a lot of "depends" there. if the weight of the Cali has caused the ground under the wheels to subside, then avoiding the throttle will not help. The best is to know when to nurse the throttle and when to gas it. Not may people are able to rock the van out of a groove and then gas it to give it sufficient momentum to start moving and then keep the momentum consistent to get it out on the road. Comes with practice/experience.

Back