Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When did you last need your diff lock?

If you really want to learn something about driving a 4M van, we can recommend the Seikel VW Transporter 4Motion Off-road Festival, each year in Germany. We have posted about it before, we have learned a lot there. See here for an impression when we were there (also see us end up completely helpless, flat on our belly on the sand, with all 4 wheels spinning - there's no diff lock that will help you out there :headbang )

I want to do this sooooooo much!!!

I had thought about the leveling ramps at one point but the ground was to saturated from Storm Francis that had come through about 4 days earlier and I needed to make it up the incline...What I did take away from the experience though that a Winch is a solid idea for situations such as that and now have one properly fitted.
Got any details of the install? Any impact of the extra nose weight?

This is what I went with...https://www.seikel.de/shop/3600-kg-winch-12-v-with-plastic-rope/?lang=eh had a local shop do the install...not sure about the nose weight but I have not noticed anything untoward...next step is going to be a full VB Air Suspension though probably in Jan or Feb next year after we get through the C-19 mess

Terranger have one where the winch sits underneath, in the spare wheel compartment, and that can winch in front AND back, alternatively. Expensive, though!

This is what I went with...https://www.seikel.de/shop/3600-kg-winch-12-v-with-plastic-rope/?lang=eh had a local shop do the install...not sure about the nose weight but I have not noticed anything untoward...next step is going to be a full VB Air Suspension though probably in Jan or Feb next year after we get through the C-19 mess
Nice. Have the same idea including the air suspension. Advantage of lift when it’s needed but less stress on the CVs and drive shafts.

Nice. Have the same idea including the air suspension. Advantage of lift when it’s needed but less stress on the CVs and drive shafts.
"Guys" seem to care about things like CV's and Drive shafts...which I know absolutely nothing about nor...really want to know about...I just want to know that it is going to get me out of the mischief I often find myself getting in to hehe

Terranger have one where the winch sits underneath, in the spare wheel compartment, and that can winch in front AND back, alternatively. Expensive, though!
Then, of course, where winches are concerned, a separate hand winch is much cheaper, and probably more versatile than a fixed car winch:

51eOr2XXX%2BL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Then, of course, where winches are concerned, a separate hand winch is much cheaper, and probably more versatile than a fixed car winch:

51eOr2XXX%2BL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
Had one of these, albeit a much more heavy duty option, was great for moving the vehicle about 10-20 cm max before needing to reset. its a great theory but my experience of practice, not worth it. Others may have had better experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I haven’t used my diff lock for a few months. Last time I used it, it actuated fine and got me out of the mud but wouldn’t then disengage. I tried all of the tricks, reversing a long way, reversing with hand brake on, small circles left and right.....

Ended up getting it towed. VW are replacing the faulty actuator. Over £600 if I was paying for it.

could I have got out without a diff lock? Probably with some traction boards (which I wasn’t carrying).

The moral of the story is if you have a diff lock and you want to be able to use it, you need to use it periodically to ensure it works when you need it.

926AEC1F-36AB-40F0-8D00-89686A4A1566.jpegA163559D-5992-435D-B64F-5F9B0B7A8526.jpeg

I haven’t used my diff lock for a few months. Last time I used it, it actuated fine and got me out of the mud but wouldn’t then disengage. I tried all of the tricks, reversing a long way, reversing with hand brake on, small circles left and right.....

Ended up getting it towed. VW are replacing the faulty actuator. Over £600 if I was paying for it.

could I have got out without a diff lock? Probably with some traction boards (which I wasn’t carrying).

The moral of the story is if you have a diff lock and you want to be able to use it, you need to use it periodically to ensure it works when you need it.

View attachment 80960View attachment 80961
Has that just happened?

Blimey
Had diff lock on the old cali, only used a couple of times too (luckily no probs). Have ordered it on new van so will make sure I head off into the mud every couple of months ;)
Hope they get you back on the road ASAP.

2nd pic could be a contender for the calendar.

Surprised that you didn't need it at your last stealth camp stop. Deep muddy ruts and potential for bottoming.
Yes, ground clearance and under body protection are the biggest problem I’m finding with the Transporter. I was going to wait until the warranty ran out but I think I’m going to have to address those sooner rather than later.

Blimey
Had diff lock on the old cali, only used a couple of times too (luckily no probs). Have ordered it on new van so will make sure I head off into the mud every couple of months ;)
Hope they get you back on the road ASAP.
That’s the spirit!

Good visual representation of the diff-lock working in some dry conditions with up to 2 wheels off the ground.
it's the exact same vehicle and same exact location from same youtuber as in post #24 .
In that video a non diff.lock manages to overcome the same spot.( at 7:41).
Having sad that, I think such type of off-road may be too harsh for the interior of an Ocean as much as I would like to hear the opposite.

it's the exact same vehicle and same exact location from same youtuber as in post #24 .
Having sad that, I think such type of off-road may be too harsh for the interior of an Ocean as much as I would like to hear the opposite.
I’m not saying this couldn’t be done without a diff-lock. There have been multiple arguments about how the rear diff-lock works. I felt this video showed it rather well. I was looking for a good thread to post it on rather than start a new one. I thought this was a good place.

I am quite sure a normal 4motion without difflock could handle that yes, and as he mentions, a bit wrong though, the esp system brakes the free spinning fron wheel to make the other front wheel have power.

I think a decent understanding/training of how to drive on slippery surfaces would go a long time way.

Last year we sat having breakfast watching a couple in a brand new 6 trying to drive off an almost flat pitch. It was wet but the driver just nailed the throttle and once it started spinning he just kept his foot in.

It was a good 20 minutes before the site owner turned up with his tractor.

With half an ounce of skill/understanding it simply wouldn’t have happened. One of those, “do I stand and watch or look away” moments.

Did it turn out to be a mechanical failure or was it something you could have, had you known the right trick, handled yourself?

Back