Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel chocks for storage

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

We currently keep our van in a barn on a local farm due to parking restrictions at home. The van is on a very slight slope and I'm keen to get some wheel chocks to use instead of leaving the handbrake on for extended periods of time, however I have no clue what is best to use.

Would these ones in the club shop be ok or do I need wider/bigger ones? The van has 255 section tyres on 18 inch wheels, but these chocks are only 70cm wide from what I can tell. Do I need to get something that is the width of the tyre?

Cheers

Rico

Also affect on tyres. they will develop flats in the rubber tread which will cause vibration.

Better option is to raise the van on to axle stands so that the wheels and tyres are off the ground. Also means that you do not need the handbrake on. And you can vary the heights to accommodate the incline.

Create a solid wedge of wood to go under each axle stand so that the stand remains vertical. Or you could cast some concrete wedges if you want something more permanent.

Just about any chocks will do, wood block or even a medium sized stone. As for flats on the tyres developing, move the vehicle every one or two weeks so a different part of the tyre contacts the ground. The flat is caused by what material scientists call "compression set". In tyre rubber this takes a while to set in and if not fully set is undone when the vehicle is used. However, if the set has begun to set in drive off slowly because if you start quickly this can put a lot of strain into the set part of the tyre that can lead to the rubber cracking or even splitting. If you are going to leave the van for a long time then, as Alan recommends, use axel stands.

Thanks, the van will still be used fairly regularly so setting up axle stands would be a bit of a faff, and hopefully will keep flat spots at bay too.

I've got a wooden block at the moment, but thought proper chocks might be better for the tyres.

For the sake of a fiver I'll probably give the kampa ones a go.

Also affect on tyres. they will develop flats in the rubber tread which will cause vibration.

Better option is to raise the van on to axle stands so that the wheels and tyres are off the ground. Also means that you do not need the handbrake on. And you can vary the heights to accommodate the incline.

Create a solid wedge of wood to go under each axle stand so that the stand remains vertical. Or you could cast some concrete wedges if you want something more permanent.
Could you explain where and how you place the axle stands? What support points do you use?

Just about any chocks will do, wood block or even a medium sized stone. As for flats on the tyres developing, move the vehicle every one or two weeks so a different part of the tyre contacts the ground. The flat is caused by what material scientists call "compression set". In tyre rubber this takes a while to set in and if not fully set is undone when the vehicle is used. However, if the set has begun to set in drive off slowly because if you start quickly this can put a lot of strain into the set part of the tyre that can lead to the rubber cracking or even splitting. If you are going to leave the van for a long time then, as Alan recommends, use axel stands.
Same question to @Wildcamper
Could you explain where and how you place the axle stands? What support points do you use?

Hi

We currently keep our van in a barn on a local farm due to parking restrictions at home. The van is on a very slight slope and I'm keen to get some wheel chocks to use instead of leaving the handbrake on for extended periods of time, however I have no clue what is best to use.

Would these ones in the club shop be ok or do I need wider/bigger ones? The van has 255 section tyres on 18 inch wheels, but these chocks are only 70cm wide from what I can tell. Do I need to get something that is the width of the tyre?

Cheers

Rico

Just leave it in gear with the handbrake off. No chocks required.

Last edited:
Same question to @Wildcamper
To be honest I don't know the answer to your question. I have never had to use axle stands so have never looked into it - sorry.

I place them at the points where the suspension arms are attached to the vehicle.

I use tough rubber pads between van and the axle stands.

I jack at the designated jack points. Again using rubber pads to cushion between trolley jack and the van.

Just leave it in gear with the handbrake off. No chocks required.

If it's an auto/DSG, putting it in Park will engage the locking pawl on the transmission which acts as a very effective handbrake (better than compression braking on a manual anyway).

If I put the handbrake on on my Cali it seizes in only a few days (although won't do massive harm when the pads unstick). But still I leave it handbrake off when I'm not using it for more than a couple of days.

All the stuff about rotating the wheels every week etc is right in principle, but I've regularly left vehicles for several weeks or even a couple of months without rotating them and no real problems provided you keep the tyres properly inflated. Any very slight flat spotting will usually disappear after a few miles driving.

If in a barn, be aware of the havoc that rodents can cause to the wiring. Would be worried about that over the handbrake.
I'll second that, one small mouse that decided to nest in my engine bay cost me an injector loom ouch. That was not even in a barn.

Back