Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's the best SMALL drive away awning?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We're after a small drive away awning for occasional use and to store child seats etc. Any recommendations?

Our best selling small utility awning in the shop is the XL Handi from Outdoor Revolution.

Easy to put up and pack down, also packs away nice and small

What about a pup tent. We've got a pop up tent it's thin enough to store under the mattress at the back..takes seconds to put up and take down. We use it to store car seats and other bits we don't need. It only cost a few quid so if it gets stolen or breaks it's no great loss.

You need to help us a bit more with understanding your needs, as my initial reaction was towards a pup tent (which doesn't attach). But you wouldn't want to sit in one for an evening ;)

A compromise would be the decathlon pop up shelter ('base seconds' is it called?). Plenty of debate on here about that one.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about a small tailgate drive away too, ideally with an inner tent for overflow sleepers - as usual I read too much about too many & deferred the decision!

Outdoor Revolution was top of my list though, vs a Quechua...

Is it just for storage or for sitting in? Many try one and sell as the faff erecting, packing away and space taken up carrying it is not worth the trouble. Unless you stay in one spot for a while which kind of goes against a Cali nomadic lifestyle.

We currently use a Decathlon pop up tent for car seats etc. It's great as it really can be pitched in about 1 minute!

But I am tempted to upgrade to something like the Base Seconds XL to give us a second living space.

What about a pup tent. We've got a pop up tent it's thin enough to store under the mattress at the back..takes seconds to put up and take down. We use it to store car seats and other bits we don't need. It only cost a few quid so if it gets stolen or breaks it's no great loss.
Thanks... yes, we have a pup tent, but a site we want to stay on sadly only allows awnings : o (

I'm thinking about a small tailgate drive away too, ideally with an inner tent for overflow sleepers - as usual I read too much about too many & deferred the decision!

Outdoor Revolution was top of my list though, vs a Quechua...
I think I'm veering towards the Quechua pop up tent. It looks more like a drive-away awning and looks light and simple to erect. Thanks for your help!

Our best selling small utility awning in the shop is the XL Handi from Outdoor Revolution.

Easy to put up and pack down, also packs away nice and small
Looks good. Any idea when it will be back in stock? Need to get something sorted over the next week.

Thanks... yes, we have a pup tent, but a site we want to stay on sadly only allows awnings : o (
I've never quite understood why some campsites will let you leave a bloomin' great driveaway awning on a pitch while you go out for the day or a toilet tent, but not a pop up pup tent with your kit in. Hey ho. We bought a small driveaway awning (Sunncamp air silhouette - really good) for just this reason. At a cost of £385 instead of £25 ... perhaps the sites are in league with the awning salesmen!!!

I've been very impressed by the Outdoor Rev Cayman Tail I got from the cali shop. Its lightweight and has added nice space at the back. The non tail version looks good too. I saw a larger version on a recent trip and it was even bigger and nicely put together.

Can be used standalone or attached and tent or open sided.

Last edited:
I've never quite understood why some campsites will let you leave a bloomin' great driveaway awning
I've come across this on a site in Lytham, and their issue is planning permission.... Which they have for motorhomes and their ATTACHED awning, but not for camping, so anything unattached is viewed as a tent, and disallowed.

Be aware that the Quechua, although it looks like an awning may still fall foul of a similar rule, as it doesn't attach.... Although you can wind your awning out a little 'over' the entrance to create the illusion that it is.

Last edited:
IMG_2865.JPG This is a Vango Kela 3 low. Used as storage, dog kennel, we also put a popaloo in the porch area.

Agree with 2into1 we wind our van awning a bit over our base seconds when its rain,can step into it. Never had a problem at any campsites.

Good storage, sitting area. Very quick to put up & down .
Wish they still did the inner tent.

In this photo ,no rain . Spot my friend . Only just noticed her .
IMG_0300.JPG

Wise choice we have one and it is so easy to put up and down and travels well in the Cali standing up behind the rear seat. We did buy a 2017 Vango Kela low and it leaked in two places allowing rain in on the first night it was pitched. We also found it heavy and time consuming especially taking down and an effort getting it packed away. With the Quecha you don't have to detach from the awning and re-attach on return like a traditional drive away awning so overall much easier to use if you just want some additional space. We've had no problems using it on sites slightly tucked under the Cali awning.

I've never quite understood why some campsites will let you leave a bloomin' great driveaway awning on a pitch while you go out for the day or a toilet tent, but not a pop up pup tent with your kit in. Hey ho. We bought a small driveaway awning (Sunncamp air silhouette - really good) for just this reason. At a cost of £385 instead of £25 ... perhaps the sites are in league with the awning salesmen!!!
It is crazy, but there must be a reason – planning permission as 2into1 mentioned could be it. We've also come across a site that allows a small pop tent alongside the van providing you don't sleep in it! Storage only allowed.

Agree with 2into1 we wind our van awning a bit over our base seconds when its rain,can step into it. Never had a problem at any campsites.

Good storage, sitting area. Very quick to put up & down .
Wish they still did the inner tent.

In this photo ,no rain . Spot my friend . Only just noticed her .
View attachment 22555
I've seen your version for sale. We are thinking of buying the attached. It should be possible to hook the large door flap onto the awning casing giving the appearance of it being linked to the van like a proper drive-away awning.
big_985b70e05e69440dbdc37cf4e5a241c0.jpg

Wise choice we have one and it is so easy to put up and down and travels well in the Cali standing up behind the rear seat. We did buy a 2017 Vango Kela low and it leaked in two places allowing rain in on the first night it was pitched. We also found it heavy and time consuming especially taking down and an effort getting it packed away. With the Quecha you don't have to detach from the awning and re-attach on return like a traditional drive away awning so overall much easier to use if you just want some additional space. We've had no problems using it on sites slightly tucked under the Cali awning.
Have you used it on sites that categorically stipulate no tents? We want to stop on a site that's pretty specific about this. I think it will be fine though, but just interested in what you've encountered.

Can you call the site you want to go to and discuss this with them in advance. My personal take on our Quecha Base is that's not a tent designed for sleeping in and as it has no sleeping pod or ground cover and is in fact a shelter to store items/cook/sit in.

Can you call the site you want to go to and discuss this with them in advance. My personal take on our Quecha Base is that's not a tent designed for sleeping in and as it has no sleeping pod or ground cover and is in fact a shelter to store items/cook/sit in.

Agree with you Seaview. We use it like an awning,only storage & sitting in. Always ask each site,explain we use like an awning, no problems so far.

In France when hot ,we use cali awning fully out & put the base seconds at the side of that. Like the sliding door open with no obstructed view.

We had an awning with our bongo ,which was useful when we had the boys home but now just the two of us & two westies. Although it was a pain to put up & attach to the van.

It's also my boginabag place at night .

Last edited:
Can I ask - Originally we bought the comfortz side panels and a breathable ground sheet but it did not suit us, 1. We had to pack up everything just to go out for the day, 2. Not suitable for the dog. We chose the Kela which is great for us, but since we've purchased it we have notice several sites stipulating no non-breathable ground sheets. Anyone had problems?

+1 for the Quecha Base.
Cheap as chips, really quick to put up/repack, and actually fits in its storage bag!
As someone said, on a wet night just roll out the awning 6" without dropping the supports and the gap remains dry.

Here it is in one night 'Beach' mode....

IMG_0143.jpg

and 'week' mode in previous SE... (doubled up as we liked them so much!)

IMG_0124.jpg

We're after a small drive away awning for occasional use and to store child seats etc. Any recommendations?
Khyam screendome....no poles to fiddle with...up in seconds...high quality....dont need to attach to van.....eliminates having to site van perfectly to meet attachments......see loads on Vw van rallies all over europe. can get chairs etc inside when wet also useful as a toilet tent.

Back