Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What will be your first trip once your Cali arrives ?

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Had a lovely few days planning our first trips next spring when 'Gisela' our new Coast arrives. Our very first trip will be a day trip to the seaside I think with our little girls in Feb/March, park up with fish and chips, I can't wait ! What are you all planning to do ?
Also planning Cambridgeshire at Easter, Cornwall in May, France in August. All other trips will be last minute weekenders

Had a lovely few days planning our first trips next spring when 'Gisela' our new Coast arrives. Our very first trip will be a day trip to the seaside I think with our little girls in Feb/March, park up with fish and chips, I can't wait ! What are you all planning to do ?
Also planning Cambridgeshire at Easter, Cornwall in May, France in August. All other trips will be last minute weekenders

Don't plan too much. Keep the Cali loaded with all required things. The only items to be added should be fresh produce or other food items. The going away at a moments notice without much planning is what makes the Cali fun. :thumb

Also include sleeping in it on the drive the first day! trust me .. it is good fun :)

Enjoy!

Too late for answering that, but my first trip took off 4 days after having the papers sorted.
2 weeks and over 3000 km later, the first trip ended. That could count as a maiden trip.
Drove half of France in search for good weather.

had a trip planned end of April early May for the nc500 anti clock wise in our daily driver as we didn’t have the Cali then. Covid arrived and the rest is history
So, this is the first trip we’re going to do, hopefully, next year.

We're hoping to get over to the Ardeche next year and back to Ile de Re (we're total Francophiles). Also desperate to get back to Switzerland. But first up will be the Northumberland 250, so we can visit our best friends at the same time (cancelled three times this year with lockdowns). Oh and hoping to do the Northern Lights Cali trip in September 21 if we can (see other thread).

Don't plan too much. Keep the Cali loaded with all required things. The only items to be added should be fresh produce or other food items. The going away at a moments notice without much planning is what makes the Cali fun. :thumb

Also include sleeping in it on the drive the first day! trust me .. it is good fun :)

Enjoy!
Oh but I love planning, it's all part of the excitement for me ! I will be doing plenty of unplanned last minute trips though, I promise :thumb

Too late for answering that, but my first trip took off 4 days after having the papers sorted.
2 weeks and over 3000 km later, the first trip ended. That could count as a maiden trip.
Drove half of France in search for good weather.
I hope you found the good weather after that mileage !

We're hoping to get over to the Ardeche next year and back to Ile de Re (we're total Francophiles). Also desperate to get back to Switzerland. But first up will be the Northumberland 250, so we can visit our best friends at the same time (cancelled three times this year with lockdowns). Oh and hoping to do the Northern Lights Cali trip in September 21 if we can (see other thread).
I love the Ardeche, I used to live in Lyon not too far away, would love to go back

Oh but I love planning, it's all part of the excitement for me ! I will be doing plenty of unplanned last minute trips though, I promise :thumb

Ha ha! Agree, :thumb that is the most fun part of it. In my planning ritual, I create maps of all the trips that I wish to do in Google maps and save it with - Switzerland 202-, Iceland 202-, Portugal 202- etc, and when the opportunity comes, one of the maps gets renamed. This year it was Portugal 202- renamed to Portugal 2020.

Our first planned long trip in the Cali was to Portugal this year. Glad we escaped in time but had to quarantine when we returned. Read a report on here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/portugal-2020.37198/

For you guys, from Cheshire, a few hours on the ferry and you will be in Dublin. Another fine place for a visit in Summer when you get your van. Ireland-WAW-202- is a map that I am currently in the process of creating :)

The lakes and the Dales should be on top of your list for a weekend away to get to know your van best.

Ha ha! Agree, :thumb that is the most fun part of it. In my planning ritual, I create maps of all the trips that I wish to do in Google maps and save it with - Switzerland 202-, Iceland 202-, Portugal 202- etc, and when the opportunity comes, one of the maps gets renamed. This year it was Portugal 202- renamed to Portugal 2020.

Our first planned long trip in the Cali was to Portugal this year. Glad we escaped in time but had to quarantine when we returned. Read a report on here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/portugal-2020.37198/

For you guys, from Cheshire, a few hours on the ferry and you will be in Dublin. Another fine place for a visit in Summer when you get your van. Ireland-WAW-202- is a map that I am currently in the process of creating :)

The lakes and the Dales should be on top of your list for a weekend away to get to know your van best.
Will take a look at your Portugal report thanks. We are in Cheshire just on the border of the Peak District so very lucky to have places like, Bakewell, Goyt Valley, Edale, Monsall Trail, Ashbourne all within 30 min :) Lake district is about 90 mins away, don't know much about the Dales but we will in time :) Southern Ireland is on our list too, probably 2022, the West Coast, Dingle, The Burren are like the end of no where, stunning scenery !

Great thread - I think our first trip will be same as yours seeing as it will hopefully be March - day trip to beach with fish & chips - I have sooooo many places on my list but one of my very first proper trips will be to Scotland via the Lake District - never been to either but desperate to go - then I want to revisit all the glorious south coast from Dorset down to Cornwall, then the Welsh coast, then the Norfolk Coast, I also plan once they kick start again to do the Eventing circuit from May through to September - Ive got lots of loose ends to tie up before I can properly kick start all these adventures but thats what the next 6 months are for - great name Gisela !

Yes, I'm enjoying daydreaming too... mine is at the port awaiting a ship so not toooo many more sleeps I hope. I think first night on the drive is pretty likely for me, then I have booked a couple of 'prime' campsites in Devon/Cornwall for school holidays next year but apart from that I'm really looking forward to making it up as we go along. Part of the driver for taking the Cali plunge was being able to go and stay near family and friends to see them in whatever capacity the restrictions allow, so I hope we'll be able to do some of that over Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, I'm enjoying daydreaming too... mine is at the port awaiting a ship so not toooo many more sleeps I hope. I think first night on the drive is pretty likely for me, then I have booked a couple of 'prime' campsites in Devon/Cornwall for school holidays next year but apart from that I'm really looking forward to making it up as we go along. Part of the driver for taking the Cali plunge was being able to go and stay near family and friends to see them in whatever capacity the restrictions allow, so I hope we'll be able to do some of that over Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.
Its still very exciting though isnt it just to have it parked on your drive & sit in it!!!
Oh yes forgot to add that to my list on family/friends driveways - on route to my destinations!!

I've got this horrible feeling that my first drive will just be to Tesco ...
But think what a much more exciting trip that will be in a Cali ! Just dont forget to park in the furthest away corner possible!!!

Great thread - I think our first trip will be same as yours seeing as it will hopefully be March - day trip to beach with fish & chips - I have sooooo many places on my list but one of my very first proper trips will be to Scotland via the Lake District - never been to either but desperate to go - then I want to revisit all the glorious south coast from Dorset down to Cornwall, then the Welsh coast, then the Norfolk Coast, I also plan once they kick start again to do the Eventing circuit from May through to September - Ive got lots of loose ends to tie up before I can properly kick start all these adventures but thats what the next 6 months are for - great name Gisela !
I'm about 90 mins from the lakes, only ever been twice !

I hope you found the good weather after that mileage !

I'm about 90 mins from the lakes, only ever been twice !
I expect that will soon be added to !! Must upgrade my membership & start buying some bits - need something to occupy myself in the meantime!!!!

Probably to the end of my street as not allowed any further....

We are going to pick the van up from Peston, drive home up the M6 to North Lakes, load the van up, then drive an hour away to Kettlewell campsite in the Y dales, all on the same day, and then probably entertain our fellow campers with our ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA antics,
Note to self>remember manual...

Scottish highlands, if we can travel before the midges arrive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London to Cornwall winging it (some wild camping I hope) via friends in Bath, Lyme Regis and St Ives...

Scottish highlands, if we can travel before the midges arrive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More likely this year after the midges have departed :-(

Back