Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to watch on Netflix?

Put the historical inaccuracies to one side and enjoying The Crown.

Some great one liners and we’ve now hit Series 3.

Disappointed with the wholesale change of cast so far but admittedly only watched the 1st one of Series 3.

Hopefully it improves.?

Mike

Oh it was truly dreadful!!

I was using a spreadsheet to list all his options and accessories, but posting it in with round pounds whilst my excel equations were doing the same.

I find being an historian really at times inhibits my leisure activities. So difficult to watch "the Crown" type programmes without risking imminent execution by one's other co-watchers by saying "Not true" .... "didn't happen like that"...."Fake history".... etc.

I was once asked by a cinema employee to please be quiet during a showing of "the longest day". Since then if I go to the cinema I have to sit and eat my popcorn on my own.
As a professional musician, this happens to me with films with musicians. 99% of the time it's painfully obvious that the musicians are not really playing, nor even musicians. I reached my limit on the subway when a busker randomly ran his fingers over the keyboard while recorded music played, then asked for money. Friends dragged me out of the car while I shouted, "It's a recording, he's not playing!"

Put the historical inaccuracies to one side and enjoying The Crown.

Some great one liners and we’ve now hit Series 3.

Disappointed with the wholesale change of cast so far but admittedly only watched the 1st one of Series 3.

Hopefully it improves.?

Mike
It does...just finished Series 4, and I've really enjoyed the characters as they have aged. You just have to keep reminding yourself it's fiction!

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and I couldnt stop watching it, nearly squeezed in a 3rd. it is gripping and a great watch. Really quite eerie. Looking forward to more :thumb

Finished the Crown and tried White House Farm.

Less disciplined and watched the first three.

I suspect the last three will go in one sitting.

A good watch.

Mike

‘You’ on Netflix is good.

Finished the Crown and tried White House Farm.

Less disciplined and watched the first three.

I suspect the last three will go in one sitting.

A good watch.

Mike
Hope The Crown’s cast grew on you!

I agree, the film is a very good watch. Very well crafted.

Having said that, there was a recent article in the Telegraph entitled: "Archaeologist in Netflix film 'a bumbling sexist caricature". The article basically stated that Netflix had become embroiled in a sexism row after portraying the young female archaeologist Peggy Piggot played by Lilly James, as a "bumbling, deferential, sidekick to her husband". However Rebecca Wragg-Sykes, a leading archaeologist writing in the Times, said that she was by then an extremely experienced excavator. Well all I can say is that when you watch these productions you don't expect them to be completely factually accurate!

We visited Sutton Hoo some years ago with friends and shortly afterwards, the British Museum to see the finds. I found the intricacy of the workmanship in each piece jaw dropping. I'd recommend anyone putting both on their bucket list.
If they’re not accurate, why say you’re portraying a real person? Make any fiction you like, but if you’re portraying Peggy Piggot, you can expect upset if you misrepresent her?

If they’re not accurate, why say you’re portraying a real person? Make any fiction you like, but if you’re portraying Peggy Piggot, you can expect upset if you misrepresent her?
I agree but then there's interpretation. No two people will see things the same way even if they have the same facts placed before them and so it is with script writers. Then there's artistic licence. Some stories need a sprinkling of that to make them palatable to the viewing public: a bit like adding seasoning to bare ingredients to create a delicious meal. And no two cooks will do that in the same way either! In terms of entertainment, I am usually fine with that as long as the storyline follows the basic facts reasonably closely. After all, it's films we are talking about here not documentaries. I really don't think most people would expect any film to follow actual events or portray real people with total accuracy. I think that if challenged, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a film that is completely factually accurate even if I were fully aware of the facts in the first place.

As for Peggy Piggot, played by the gorgeous Lilly James, I may be wrong but I doubt if actual events involved much slap and tickle. Most films have a love interest woven into them in order to appeal to a wider audience.

Last edited:
Some did thanks.
emoji106.png

Don’t want to spoil it for anyone else but the tucked away members of the family was a surprise. How did I not know that.
emoji849.png

Mike
And not too dissimilar to Prince John's circs (Son of King George V and Queen Mary).

Just started to watch Goliath on Amazon Prime. Really good so far.

Weirdly the lead character (played by Billy Bob Thornton) stays at the Ocean Lodge in Santa Monica and drinks at Chez Jay. On holiday many years ago I stayed at the Ocean Lodge for a few nights and drank at Chez Jay.

Weirdly the lead character (played by Billy Bob Thornton) stays at the Ocean Lodge in Santa Monica and drinks at Chez Jay. On holiday many years ago I stayed at the Ocean Lodge for a few nights and drank at Chez Jay.
Watched both series and enjoyed them a lot. Would recommend highly.

Just can't get enough of Billy Bob. He is one of the greatest US actors in my book. Goliath is a great plot for him to share his talent for character development. Just loved him too in Fargo the series as a really cool baddie.

Has anyone tried Bitter Daisies? Crime drama in Spanish I think with subtitles but this it is gripping.

Also Sinner, love the worn-out old cop played by Bill Pullman that never gives up on fining teh real truth despite his problems

Clarksons Farm Amazon Prime is great to watch classic Clarkson with a human touch gives an insight into just how hard a farmers life is. Caleb, Gerald Cheerful Charlie Lisa make this programme a great watch

Seems it’s TV watching time as it’s wet and horrible out so from the humour of Clarksons Farm to the grim reality and futility of war with The Outpost again on Amazon Prime. If you do watch this film which I would recommend please watch the credits as the soldiers involved in the battle are interviewed and amazingly one of these brave men actually plays himself in the movie.

Eventually got around to Fargo S1-3. Offbeat and brilliant.

Lupin S1 was passable. Tried Lupin S2 but couldn't get on with the silly premise, dopey plot and flashbacks.

Eventually got around to Fargo S1-3. Offbeat and brilliant.

Lupin S1 was passable. Tried Lupin S2 but couldn't get on with the silly premise, dopey plot and flashbacks.
We enjoyed both series of Lupin, the flashbacks were relevant to the storyline.

Not on Netflix but currently in cinemas - King Richard is really good. Tells the story of Venus and Serena Williams rise to the top in world of tennis. Good performance by Will Smith as their father.

Just watched The Chestnut Man on Netflix. Formulaic but well strung together 6 part Danish crime thriller. We found it pretty good example of Scandi Noir, enjoyed.