Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to watch on Netflix?

If your into Scandi Crime series then Walter Presents on 4OD has a large selection. Mostly subtitled but some good series. Some of them not for the faint hearted.
Just had a look at the website. I am a complete tart for Scandi so will def try some of these. If any specific recommendations please say.

Wasn’t aware of the extent of Colin Chapmans involvement.

Mike

Yes if he had not died in December 1982 he would likely after a few years have been held accountable. As it was, Fred Bushel took the can and went to prison. After release he was compensated by being appointed a Director of Classic Team Lotus which is run by Clive Chapman, son of Colin.

Yes if he had not died in December 1982 he would likely after a few years have been held accountable. As it was, Fred Bushel took the can and went to prison. After release he was compensated by being appointed a Director of Classic Team Lotus which is run by Clive Chapman, son of Colin.

Not good is an understatement.

Mike

Not good is an understatement.

Mike

True, but look at the situation at the time, U.K. as a whole was in recession and NI in a terrible state. The GOV were more than keen to show any stimulus to NI that they could. Protestants & Catholics coming together to make cars was mana from heathen.

As for Chapman, you stood more chance of winning in his cars but less chance of surviving. Stacey, Rodriguez, Clark, Rindt, Peterson....and a few others and as late as 2000 Dawson-Damer in a 1969 Lotus 63....which I saw racing in the British GP of 1969 Along with other 4WD cars from Matra & McLaren

Started watching Nightstalker docuseries on Netflix. Now thats a scary (true) tale

True, but look at the situation at the time, U.K. as a whole was in recession and NI in a terrible state. The GOV were more than keen to show any stimulus to NI that they could. Protestants & Catholics coming together to make cars was mana from heathen.

As for Chapman, you stood more chance of winning in his cars but less chance of surviving. Stacey, Rodriguez, Clark, Rindt, Peterson....and a few others and as late as 2000 Dawson-Damer in a 1969 Lotus 63....which I saw racing in the British GP of 1969 Along with other 4WD cars from Matra & McLaren

I meant the legacy of Chapman as the decision to finance the factory was understandable.

Mike

Yes the sixties were both glorious and poignant times in motor racing and there seems to be a growing retrospective interest eg the Le Mans 66 movie (I think I mentioned above, great film).

A documentary about Lotus would be really interesting. You're quite right that on the track the Lotuses were blindingly quick but fragile, dangerously so, Chapman knew it but declined to make crucial suspension components robust due to his obsession with reducing weight, even though arguably the cars still could have remained dominant at that point if made a bit safer. Jochen Rindt wrote to Chapman in 1968 to say his "point of no confidence was near". He was killed in 1970 when his Lotus's brake shaft broke.

Just had a look at the website. I am a complete tart for Scandi so will def try some of these. If any specific recommendations please say.
Bullets is another good watch.

Just finished “The Investigation“ on IPlayer, about the murder of a Swedish journalist by a Danish inventor on his homemade submarine.

Very pedantic, Mr Lemondrop hated it. But bring a pedant myself, I liked it.

Not watched it yet but ‘Little Miss Sunshine’s Road Tripper’ on Amazon prime (I think), is a comedy road trip movie in a VW Bus.

F57ACA49-F955-4C9E-83AE-82682041BBE6.png

News of the World, Tom Hanks on Netflix.

News of the World, Tom Hanks on Netflix.
Yes, watched it yesterday afternoon whilst home alone twiddling my thumbs. It's a good watch.

I'd have past it by if it wasn't for Tom Hanks playing the lead. If he's in something it's always a belter. I loved Bridge of Spies. One of his best!
Morgan Freeman is another. They seem to have a nose for a good script.

Btw, after a shakey start (too much forward and back nonsense), the Serpent did turn out to be a good watch. Thanks.:thumb

Yes, watched it yesterday afternoon whilst home alone twiddling my thumbs. It's a good watch.

I'd have past it by if it wasn't for Tom Hanks playing the lead. If he's in something it's always a belter. I loved Bridge of Spies. One of his best!
Morgan Freeman is another. They seem to have a nose for a good script.

Btw, after a shakey start (too much forward and back nonsense), the Serpent did turn out to be a good watch. Thanks.:thumb
Agree about Bridge of Spies excellent film.

ZeroZeroZero on Sky. Bit violent and subtitled for parts in Italy and Mexico but a great storyline and very watchable. Only 1 series atm of 8 episodes. Give it a go.

I watched the imitation game last night.

I realised 5 minutes in I had watched it before.

It bends truth to breaking point but captures fully the travesty of justice that befell Alan Turing. I found it very upsetting that someone can contribute so much but be damaged so far simply because of being different.

Terribly distressing.

Just got round to watching The Irishman - Scorcese, starring De Niro, Pacino and Pesci. One of the greats, when you have the requisite three and a half hours to spare (and let's face it who hasn't at the moment). Wry and entertaining throughout.

I watched the imitation game last night.

I realised 5 minutes in I had watched it before.

It bends truth to breaking point but captures fully the travesty of justice that befell Alan Turing. I found it very upsetting that someone can contribute so much but be damaged so far simply because of being different.

Terribly distressing.
Bletchley Park is a good day out. The new visitor centre there is very well done.

Bletchley Park is a good day out. The new visitor centre there is very well done.

It was on my big cycle journey until I changed the route.

Strangely Alan Turing features in my manuscript of my latest (and last) book.

The post war era was so full of hatred for anyone or anything different. A strange reflection on the British psyche but out of my realm.

I have my own personal experience, it is not a beautiful one.

Last edited:
Just got round to watching The Irishman - Scorcese, starring De Niro, Pacino and Pesci. One of the greats, when you have the requisite three and a half hours to spare (and let's face it who hasn't at the moment). Wry and entertaining throughout.
Good call. A great film. A long'un but def worth it.

Eastbound and Down is very funny.