Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to do with keys when surfing?

Non coded key from local locksmith...7 quid.....works fine
If someone breaks into the van, it will be very obvious to the insurance company

Your 100% sure the insurance company will pay out...???
Plus what's more inconvenient, a wet key or no van. Surfers are now purposely targeted by car thieves. Beaches around South Wales have a huge problem with car theft and lots of extra police presence.

To take your chances with a £50k van is nothing short of stupid.
Use an Aqua pac and know it will still be there when you get out.
:thumb

Last edited:
Just be careful with that, I had the same and it was full of water after one surfing session, very unlucky, remote key was gone.

I've used Aqua pac for 10 years never had a leak.
You must have been really unlucky. The best thing to do is take ONLY the van key. Saying that, you see people with a bunch of jagged house keys stuffed with the van key all poking at the sides of the Aquapac. Asking for trouble really. Especially as its wedged into your wetsuit :headbang

At least your van was still in the car-park:D

image.png
Your 100% sure the insurance company will pay out...???
Plus what's more inconvenient, a wet key or no van. Surfers are now purposely targeted by car thieves. Beaches around South Wales have a huge problem with car theft and lots of extra police presence.

To take your chances with a £50k van is nothing short of stupid.
Use an Aqua pac and know it will still be there when you get out.
:thumb
Just checked my documents
You are quite right soûl.....looks like the van is not covered if the keys are not completely removed from the veichle.

Even on the incurance of my 2000euro electric bike the documents state , two original keys need to be showed when bike reported stolen or no pay-out!
Would be unreal you get away with it on a 50.000£ Cali.

Think in the case of wanting to leave a key in the verhicle maybe to get a thirth copy of the original key fob to leave behind so you always show the other two when verhicle should be stolen:D

View attachment 15891
Just checked my documents
You are quite right soûl.....looks like the van is not covered if the keys are not completely removed from the veichle.

Good work.
Better to be safe than sorry buddy
A friend of mine double bags a small Aquapac into a slightly larger one, with just his key. No chance water would get through 2 Aquas.
I keep meaning to do the same, but have never got round to it.

The thieves at Rest Bay sit way off in the distance and watch you using decent binoculars. Then they wait for you to walk down to the beach and paddle out back. They have so much time to take your vehicle. Real scum bags...!!!

We are not surfers but when going off to walks it's about the same thing , you park up at parking knowing you will be sevral hours away not able to reach to the verhicle , once they get in your Cali they got plenty of time to dig out everyting ....blinds closed...nobody noticing a thing.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Last edited:
It's a Thatcham approved lock and chain that will stop anyone driving off with the wagon you ******* clown.
What's with the attitude?

What's it bolted through...???

Insurance companies only allow Thatcham chains for Motorbikes, scooters, quads etc.. Even then if you read the small print they must be secured to a lamp post or similar, they won't accept having it just on the wheel.

Also why advertise with decals, i know they are for snowboarding (just did a google search). If we leave ours for any length of time all blinds are down + windscreen cover put on.

Hi. I had the same problem with swimming at lakes. I used one of the secure numeric code key boxes but had to obtain written authority from insurance company. Once they were satisfied it was a good quality box (can't remember the required specification) and we agreed what part of the vehicle it would be attached to, they put that as a condition on their records. There was no added premium.

Hi,

Are there any surfers / water sport enthusiasts on here and if so what do you do with your keys whilst surfing? Previously I've always had a normal (i.e. Non alarm ) key which I've kept in a pouch. However my Cali only came with two of the alarm fob keys and I'm nervous about putting them in a water proof pouch in case it leaks (they do from time to time). What do other people do? I've thought about buying a key pod to lock the key to the van but again leaving the key anywhere to a £50k+ vehicle is a bit worrying .
Any advice? Does anyone else use a Keypod and if so where do you lock it to?

Thanks,

Jez
I had a key cut for 7 quid from a blank. Goes in my wet suit after locking manually with it. Real key stays inside van.

I had a key cut for 7 quid from a blank. Goes in my wet suit after locking manually with it. Real key stays inside van.

What happens if some smashes the window and finds the key and drives off, won't the insurance be void?

To be fair to Pete M. I didn't realise I was replying with any attitude. Any offence caused, I apologise.

However, I would hate to see someone's van stolen by some lowlife because of bad information and even worse them not being covered by their insurance.
Most of us know our vans are worth a lot of money, £50-£60k in some cases. But thieves may view them for far less money.
Driving a vehicle away which is being damaged is of no concern. It could be only worth a few grand when they break it down for parts. But it's easy money for them, so why not...???

My view is, be sensible and make it as hard as possible for them to steal.
Keeping the key on you is the best way of doing that:thumb

Back