Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to do with keys when surfing?

Detritus

Detritus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

Are there any surfers / water sport enthusiasts on here and if so what do you do with your keys whilst surfing? Previously I've always had a normal (i.e. Non alarm ) key which I've kept in a pouch. However my Cali only came with two of the alarm fob keys and I'm nervous about putting them in a water proof pouch in case it leaks (they do from time to time). What do other people do? I've thought about buying a key pod to lock the key to the van but again leaving the key anywhere to a £50k+ vehicle is a bit worrying .
Any advice? Does anyone else use a Keypod and if so where do you lock it to?

Thanks,

Jez

Our T5s came with a "normal" non electonic key as well as the two electric ones. Try asking the dealer, perhaps it's another VW cost cutting exercise.

Hi,

Are there any surfers / water sport enthusiasts on here and if so what do you do with your keys whilst surfing? Previously I've always had a normal (i.e. Non alarm ) key which I've kept in a pouch. However my Cali only came with two of the alarm fob keys and I'm nervous about putting them in a water proof pouch in case it leaks (they do from time to time). What do other people do? I've thought about buying a key pod to lock the key to the van but again leaving the key anywhere to a £50k+ vehicle is a bit worrying .

Thanks,

Jez
Surf Key. Non electronic key that opens/locks vehicle mechanically. Cannot start vehicle as immobiliser will not be switched off as there are no electronics.

image.jpeg I bought a non remote key from VW, and had it coded to my California. I wear this on a lanyard around my neck. I sealed the edges with super glue where the plastic joins to avoid any water getting to the chip. Works perfectly, apart from the key is very prone to corrosion. Even after one surf you can see the brown colour of rust in the cut groove. Which is disappointing, because I use the same method on my zafira and there is no sign of rust after 11 years. I do worry that any rust powder that falls off in the ignition might cause problems in the future, what do people think?

Thanks guys.
@WelshGas a surf key is ideal. Can I just get a copy made of the key to open the doors and I'll lock the main key inside in a keypad somewhere? Can any locksmith do this or do I need to purchase from VW?

Perhaps a dive shop would have a waterproof holder. I had a lurid pink plastic hip flask shaped key holder and took my key diving in some pretty horrid conditions and never had it leak.

Thanks guys.
@WelshGas a surf key is ideal. Can I just get a copy made of the key to open the doors and I'll lock the main key inside in a keypad somewhere? Can any locksmith do this or do I need to purchase from VW?

Just go to VW using the VIN number , mine was 50 euro simple as that

Last edited:
VW won't do it, nor most high street locksmiths. Google for Surf Keys.

Strange , my dealer does ....
but than again i go to CNN in Holland ....:D

I recently asked Timpsons about getting a basic, non remote key. Apparently they have to create a cloned key with a transponder in the key set up for the specific type of vehicle and as yet they haven't "cracked the code" for my 2013 T5 but said to try again in a couple of months.

I tried to get a surf key cut at three different breaches of Timpson's, each one came up with a strange reason as to why they couldn't do it and then referred me to another branch. In the end I tried a small independent lock smith and they cut me a key no problem. I didn't have the transponder coded in the surf key, I was told that if I try to start it with that key the system will lock down. I haven't tried it to prove that theory.

@Silver5urfer

Do you happen to know the part number of the key? My dealer seems a bit confused.

I have a parts diagram from them and it looks like part nr 37 on the diagram which is 2K0837219ADINF.

And £~60 and then £~60 to program it to the vehicle (which seems a little outrageous...)

Timpsons will do it, I think they get confused as they don't understand why you want a key that won't start the car. Mine cost £10 from them.

I put the real key under the drivers seat and lock the drivers door using the surf key, I put the surf key in the key pocket of my wetsuit.

The surf key will *only open the drivers door* so make sure you can reach the real key! Once opened reach under the seat, find the proper key and open all the doors before the alarm goes off.

I use a waterproof pouch inside my websuit with a cord attached. There is a small pocket in my suit where it can fit without being able to feel it. Will admit I havent use my cali key in this way yet... I have always kept the little silica packets and use them to keep the inside of the pouch dry.

@Silver5urfer

Do you happen to know the part number of the key? My dealer seems a bit confused.

I have a parts diagram from them and it looks like part nr 37 on the diagram which is 2K0837219ADINF.

And £~60 and then £~60 to program it to the vehicle (which seems a little outrageous...)

I paid £52 for key and £37 for coding.
Sorry don't know part number.

Just got back from local locksmith - charged me £14 per key so ice had two done (one each for me and the Mrs). Tested and works great! I'll lock the real key in a key pod inside the van for a bit of extra security.

Thanks all!

Jez

Hi,

Thanks,

Jez

You must be mental even thinking about getting a non immobiliser key cut. You will still need to leave you proper key inside the van...???
Even locked in a keysafe, that will slow them down an extra 30 seconds.

£50k van, imagine the phone call to your insurance company. I think they will tell you to forget a payout if you left the keys in the van.

I surf and have used Aqua packs for years and never had one leak. Just remember to replace every couple of years and throw the old one away.

Even if it did leak, at least my van will still be where I parked it. Little inconvenient, granted.
However, van stolen with key. Standing in a cold carpark in my wetsuit. Massive disaster...!!!

Just got back from local locksmith - charged me £14 per key so ice had two done (one each for me and the Mrs). Tested and works great! I'll lock the real key in a key pod inside the van for a bit of extra security.

Thanks all!

Jez

Please don't use a crappy Keypod from one of the local surf shops. I saw a complete stranger open one in about 15 seconds with no tools...!!!

Non coded key from local locksmith...7 quid.....works fine
If someone breaks into the van, it will be very obvious to the insurance company

Back