Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What size kador strip?

Covade

Covade

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
We're expecting our new Ocean to be with us in the next couple of weeks and have recently bought a Vango Tolga Air VW awning. What size kador strip would fit best, 6x4 or 6x6 please?

Hi,
We're expecting our new Ocean to be with us in the next couple of weeks and have recently bought a Vango Tolga Air VW awning. What size kador strip would fit best, 6x4 or 6x6 please?
It seems the Kador strip comes with the awning.

Hi,
We bought a Vango Hexaway II and these people provided a 6mm-5mm kador strip and driveway 'figure 8' strips, which was perfect for our Cali SE awning.. Most forums were saying 6-4mm kador, but the 4mm can slip out of the awning rail in higher winds. The 5mm fittings is snug and works perfectly..

Link send to be broken:Camper Essentials, Greenslade Farm, Avonwick, South Brent TQ10 9EZ

Hi,
Assume the Vango will be 6mm, so 6mm figure of 8 strips are needed. For the van rollout awning, if it’s a new van then most likely to be 4mm. We hired a new 2021 MY van last year, and the awning had a 6mm channel, but when ours turned up in Feb 22, the kador kit wouldn’t fit, and we needed a 4mm/6mm kador strip.

Assume the Vango will be 6mm, so 6mm figure of 8 strips are needed. For the van rollout awning, if it’s a new van then most likely to be 4mm. We hired a new 2021 MY van last year, and the awning had a 6mm channel, but when ours turned up in Feb 22, the kador kit wouldn’t fit, and we needed a 4mm/6mm kador strip.
Thanks for the info, we're picking the new van up on Saturday so I'll sit tight and check it then....

It seems the Kador strip comes with the awning.
Unfortunately not. We bought this one and tested in the garden last week. There is a kador strip built into the awning but it’s not “drive away.

We have just bought a Maypole 3M “Drive Away Kit” that comes with a double sided kador strip with and a figure of 8 (6mm/6mm) to give us driveawayability. We checked the awning and Thule slot and both 6mm.

The Thule awning itself on the van is only 2.5m, so I guess you will always end up with 25 cm extra at each end. We’ll either live with that or I’ll trim it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not. We bought this one and tested in the garden last week. There is a strip built into the awning but it’s not “drive away.

We have just bought a Maypole 3M “Drive Away Kit” that comes with a strip with the figure of 8 (6mm/6mm) to give us driveawayability. We checked the awning and Thule slot and both 6mm.

The Thule awning itself on the van is only 2.5m anyway, so I guess you will always end up with 25 cm extra at each end. We’ll either live with that or I’ll trim it.
Best to cut the figure of 8 strip so you have about 100mm extra (but keep the bit you’ve cut), and cut the kador strip with a craft knife so it is exactly the inside dimension of the awning. If you don’t, the kador strip may kink when you wind in the awning to tension the canvas.

Here’s a question back to the forum., about the kador strip interfering with the opeNing of the sliding door.

We’ve pitched up today, and because of a sloping pitch the front wheels are on ramps, around 150mm above ground, to get the van level. We’ve got the side awning attached (Vango Kela low type), and it’s all nice and square / taught. The kador strip is in the wind out sunshade awning channel, and we wound the sunshade in to tension the tunnel. All normal. But, we couldn’t open or close the side door as the kador strip was pointing down to the tent awning at about 30deg and the side door rubbed on the figure of 8 bars. I think it’s because the van is higher off the ground.

The temporary fix has been to let out the sunshade awning about 75mm so the door can open and slide ‘inside’ the kador strip.

Just wondered if we’d made a rookie mistake, or is this normal, and what cunning solutions folks have found ? :help

Here’s a question back to the forum., about the kador strip interfering with the opeNing of the sliding door.

We’ve pitched up today, and because of a sloping pitch the front wheels are on ramps, around 150mm above ground, to get the van level. We’ve got the side awning attached (Vango Kela low type), and it’s all nice and square / taught. The kador strip is in the wind out sunshade awning channel, and we wound the sunshade in to tension the tunnel. All normal. But, we couldn’t open or close the side door as the kador strip was pointing down to the tent awning at about 30deg and the side door rubbed on the figure of 8 bars. I think it’s because the van is higher off the ground.

The temporary fix has been to let out the sunshade awning about 75mm so the door can open and slide ‘inside’ the kador strip.

Just wondered if we’d made a rookie mistake, or is this normal, and what cunning solutions folks have found ? :help
We used this method (credit to original poster):

Worked lovely - guess you could 'double Fig of 8' if you wanted to leave the clips in place on the van awning ... i.e. fig of 8 to the drive away awning, kador strip, fig of 8 to the van awning .. if that makes sense?

Back