Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is this remote for?

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm confused. I've read all the threads that might be appropriate and I'm even more confused!

They speak of 'auxilary heaters' and 'parking heaters' and I don't know which is which. The sticker on my door pillar says I have an Eberspacher (sp?) and a Webasto heater. Now I know the Eberspacher is the one that heats the van when we're living in it, so I guess the Webasto is the one that heats the coolant and/or windscreen - or something.

So which is this remote for? I can't find any mention of this in any of the 3 different manuals I've looked in!

I have to go out very early tomorrow and I'm wondering if I can start warming the engine up and clearing the screen before I go outside by using this remote - or should I just go out and start the engine?

IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

I'm confused. I've read all the threads that might be appropriate and I'm even more confused!

They speak of 'auxilary heaters' and 'parking heaters' and I don't know which is which. The sticker on my door pillar says I have an Eberspacher (sp?) and a Webasto heater. Now I know the Eberspacher is the one that heats the van when we're living in it, so I guess the Webasto is the one that heats the coolant and/or windscreen - or something.

So which is this remote for? I can't find any mention of this in any of the 3 different manuals I've looked in!

I have to go out very early tomorrow and I'm wondering if I can start warming the engine up and clearing the screen before I go outside by using this remote - or should I just go out and start the engine?

View attachment 17946 View attachment 17946
I would think that is the remote for the Parking Heater. Switch the heater on 30 mins or so before going out and the interior should be warm and windows defrosted. If it is a very severe frost maybe 45 mins.
The Webasto heater heats the engine coolant to get the engine to temperature quickly. It is completely automatic, starting when the engine is started as it takes a lot of electrical power to start and run, and works ONLY if the external temperature is 5c or less.

Thanks for that - as you say 'you think' do I take it you don't have one of these remotes? Someone mention pressing it twice, someone else said press and hold - maybe it depends what year/version of Cali it is.

I was sure I'd seen a picture of it somewhere but I've hunted through the THREE manuals I have and can't find it mentioned!

Thanks for that - as you say 'you think' do I take it you don't have one of these remotes? Someone mention pressing it twice, someone else said press and hold - maybe it depends what year/version of Cali it is.

I was sure I'd seen a picture of it somewhere but I've hunted through the THREE manuals I have and can't find it mentioned!
My heater remote is slightly different. 1 press and a green light should for about 30+ seconds and the heater will fire up on the last temperature setting used. On mine if you press it 2 x then the same process but it comes on at Temperature Setting 7.

Just checked with Google for pictures of VW Heater Remote.

Your remote is for the Parking Heater.

It's definitely the parking heater remote the Webasto coolant heater doesn't come with a remote. It's different to the one on my T6, correct operation should be covered in your handbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

correct operation should be covered in your handbook

I thought so too but can't find it anywhere!

UPDATE! Finally found it!

Last edited:
It looks difrrent than the one i got with my 2012 T5

Parking Heater in new design!

It's definitely the parking heater remote the Webasto coolant heater doesn't come with a remote. It's different to the one on my T6, correct operation should be covered in your handbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coolant heater remote was an option on the t5, I think the VW one looks the same unfortunately. The van in question is a T5 so it could be either.

telestart_t91_250.jpg

Easiest test is to use it and see where the air comes from. Dash vents = coolant, pillar vents = parking heater.

I thought so too but can't find it anywhere!

UPDATE! Finally found it!
BG, I'd suggest you download the manual from the downloads section. You can search the PDF and when you find something that looks right, cross reference with the printed manual.

...message ends...

Yes that's a T91 Telestart remote for the coolant heater. You may have a VW OEM or Webasto retro fit. What colour does the LED flash when you press the button?

There's the rub - it doesn't flash or light up at all, which I guess means the battery is deader than a dead thing! No matter, I went out to the van this morning and started the - I'm inclined to say the 'habitation heater' from the control panel, didn't really set it hot enough but with that and a squirt of de-icer, by the time I'd turned the van round and set off, it was pretty much defrosted.

Discovered I have heated mirrors, and where the control is, on the door with the other mirror controls, but should it light up?

Can't find the button for the heated rear screen though, and more worryingly, neither can my 10 year old grandson.

You won't have a heated rear screen it is double glazed

There's the rub - it doesn't flash or light up at all, which I guess means the battery is deader than a dead thing! No matter, I went out to the van this morning and started the - I'm inclined to say the 'habitation heater' from the control panel, didn't really set it hot enough but with that and a squirt of de-icer, by the time I'd turned the van round and set off, it was pretty much defrosted.

Discovered I have heated mirrors, and where the control is, on the door with the other mirror controls, but should it light up?

Can't find the button for the heated rear screen though, and more worryingly, neither can my 10 year old grandson.
No light on the Mirror heating control. It is timed, I think about 10 mins, then stops . To restart turn the switch L or R and back to heating position to restart timer.

Double glazed window unit cannot have heating elements.

Thanks folks - I had thought it was only later than 2007 that had double glazed rear window, wasted ages looking for the button!

:embarrased

My heater remote is slightly different. 1 press and a green light should for about 30+ seconds and the heater will fire up on the last temperature setting used. On mine if you press it 2 x then the same process but it comes on at Temperature Setting 7.

Strange, pressing once on mine always seems to come on at Setting 7 no matter what it was on previously. I've never tried pressing twice.

Maybe it's back to front, I'll try pressing it twice next time ....

The remote in BikerGran's photo looks like the same remote as mine which is the habitation heater. It goes green if the van has received the signal and red if it doesn't receive a signal from the van. The range is impressive! The control panel light also changes.

Sorry to hijack the thread but while all the heater experts are here can I just ask whether anyone else has an issue with the habitation thermostat?
I set it on one but it very rarely knocks off no matter how hot it gets inside. Mine is a 2008 model.

The remote in BikerGran's photo looks like the same remote as mine which is the habitation heater. It goes green if the van has received the signal and red if it doesn't receive a signal from the van. The range is impressive! The control panel light also changes.

Sorry to hijack the thread but while all the heater experts are here can I just ask whether anyone else has an issue with the habitation thermostat?
I set it on one but it very rarely knocks off no matter how hot it gets inside. Mine is a 2008 model.
It should. Maybe the Temp sensor/thermostat is faulty.

Check the Control Panel for any Heater related Diagnostic codes.
Press & Hold Lower R key and press the Control Button.
A new menu is shown. Scroll down to Volkswagen Diagnostic codes. If any present then make a note and then Reset/Delete the Diagnostic Codes.
Return to Main Menu. Press L lower button. Was 30 secs and press L lower again. Fire up Heater. Any change in behaviour?

Back