Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Hi @Elly Swanson
It’s pretty good in my opinion. Definitely keeps the rain off and the van toasty warm. Had ours for a couple of years and used it a fair bit in the winter months with no sign of wear yet. It comes as one piece so it can be a bit of a challenge when it’s windy - best fitted with two people but I have fitted it on my own.
Note, the infill behind the bungee at the back is my own addition. Pucer screens apparently leave a gap for ventilation but I’m not sure about that? I think there’s enough via the two vents in the poptop.
Not used it in very hot conditions but it might also help to keep the poptop cool?

View attachment 107587

View attachment 107588

View attachment 107589

View attachment 107590
Thanks GG, that’s really helpful. Do you get much condensation?

Used snow chains for the first time
I bought some snow chains in Foggia (SE Italy) in November 2017, and had never used them.

Today I took my eldest son, plus two other parents plus two other boys to a rugby tournament. Unknown to us, Bromley Council had taken a decision to close and lock all council car parks in the borough ahead of a gypsy wedding being held over the weekend. On arrival at the tournament we were directed to a large sloped field, and to park at the bottom, along with ~1500 other cars.

It rained continually for over four hours, and by the time it came to depart, not only were the boys proudly displaying how muddy they were, but the field was a quagmire.

Snow chains on (they had been safely stowed under the drivers’ seat unused for six years) and we were one of the few cars to make it out of the car park unassisted.

What do you think of the Pucer pop top screen, GG? We already have an internal isotop but want something to keep the canvas dry as festival season starts soon and the weather’s looking pretty naff.
Does it really keep the rain off and is it robust and hard wearing?
Got in touch with Daren and he’s gone all out to make one especially tonight as his new stock won’t be done until Thursday. we’re at a festival then so I was well chuffed when he got back to me to say he’d make one tonight to post tomorrow and arrive on Wednesday. Great customer service.

None. But you can always crack the front windows a touch for some ventilation. Wind deflectors keep the rain out.
We have the vents that sit in the front windows when you’re pitched but they’re a bit of a pain to install, especially if it’s raining. I was thinking of getting deflectors. There’s a few makes to choose from and some not as good as others. If you have them GG, which do you have and what do you think of them?

We have the vents that sit in the front windows when you’re pitched but they’re a bit of a pain to install, especially if it’s raining. I was thinking of getting deflectors. There’s a few makes to choose from and some not as good as others. If you have them GG, which do you have and what do you think of them?
I’ve had Climair on both my Californias.
Yes you have to drill the tiniest of holes with a small screw. But, they never have the issue with clips on the non screw type.

Ours are Heko. Clip into the window channel. No drilling.

Ours are Dubaflecta fit on with clips no drilling.

It’s supplied with a packing bag which easily stores in the boot or on the shelf behind the bench seat.

View attachment 107591
Hi ..Another Question..I see you have an awning rafter fitted at the end of your pull out tray...I bought one from the club shop but it too long to fit like you have ...is there a shorter one thats still effective? Thee was only one option in the club shop?

View attachment 103363
Fitted Climair window deflectors, smoked. Such an easy fit.
Just picked up a set of these smoke grey Climair's for my Coast after considering all the options. TUV rated and Made in Germany. I will try using 3M double sided adhesive tape near the mirror to begin with and see if I can avoid drilling the moulding.

Hi ..Another Question..I see you have an awning rafter fitted at the end of your pull out tray...I bought one from the club shop but it too long to fit like you have ...is there a shorter one thats still effective? Thee was only one option in the club shop?
Not sure but I cut mine down.

I made the Channel Mounts myself and templated the panel mounts for fabrication. (They’re just an evolution of the one I did back in 2019 - less weight more ventilation) Panels are 100w.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awesome! Any spare panel mounts to sell???

Lovely dinner in Windsor after a great day at Legoland!

View attachment 107833
I genuinely hope that you all had a great day out.

We have promised to take three of our grandchildren there at half term although it's not something that I'm looking forward to.

Btw, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but have you checked that your spare is still there? Lego land is notorious for the theft of spare wheels. There was a thread on this issue and my youngest daughter not only had the spare stolen but the winch thingy for housing it. The car was a brand new Land Rover Discovery and the replacement items cost nearly £2000.

Last edited:
Made the mistake of going to a shopping center on a bank holiday. Spent ages trying to park and having to reverse a lot only to give up and park on a near by road which actually was only a short walk away. The problem being that there is only one floor where the van could enter as all others are too low and there was some construction work as well. Next time I will park outside or not go on a Saturday.

Not able to choose as this time as on route to airport to collect my husband. Yet more problems parking, had to get out of van via sliding door. As his plane was due in there was a thunder storm so it circled for a while but at least it was able to land at least 3 were diverted to another airport. Oh the fun of travel!

1682949505977.png

We have promised to take three of our grandchildren there at half term although it's not something that I'm looking forward to.

Btw, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but have you checked that your spare is still there? Lego land is notorious for the theft of spare wheels. There was a thread on this issue and my youngest daughter not only had the spare stolen but the winch thingy for housing it. The car was a brand new Land Rover Discovery and the replacement items cost nearly £2000.
It was my sons birthday gift from a few years back and we finally did it! And it was a nice experience for the children indeed, we were lucky with the weather and I think it was much less full than in the summer months.
I would recommend to bite the bullet and pay for the reserve & ride so that you can reserve your spot on the next ride virtually. This will dramatically reduce the amount waiting in a cue and you can do other things while waiting for your spot. You still queue, but much less in the end and you get to do more of the rides.
I was also very sceptical initially and the many options really put me off, but once there it was great and both kids, 5 and 10 year old, absolutely loved it.
Just make sure they both are taller than 1.10m, otherwise you cannot get on many of the rides.

Ah and yes, our spare didn't get stolen because we don't have one ;-)

This is my local best campsite
You must do the brewery tour of Adnams and go to the Sole Bay pub - they have all the cask beer there as its the tap room for the Brewery.

Next a visit to the Lord Nelson is a favourite.

Finally visit Mrs T’s fish and chips in the harbour for a lovely dinner

Enjoy
Mrs T’s went up in smoke this morning !!!

IMG_3994.png

Last edited:
Tip run - love the versatility of this vehicle! Hoping to use it for something more fun tomorrow if weather stays nice
e3a3cc40871e18ed62e7c1b732b0831b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back