Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Agilis Crossclimates meant no problems even without chains. I love these tires! Not my first experience...a month after installing them I climbed the Port de Bonaigüa, 2000m in the Pyrenees at -10c with fresh snow and ice, not plowed at 7am, without need for chains. Cars ahead of me were sliding and stopped to install chains in unpleasant conditions. It's very satisfying when a product delivers as advertised. I did have doubts when looking to buy about whether to get 4Motion, but snow professional friends in the Pyrenees advised against because of fuel consumption and maintenance, saying pay attention to 1st class tires. Others' experience may differ, but mine has been great. The tread pattern is much more aggressive than Crossclimate + or SUV, depends on what you use your van for.View attachment 104200

Pretty much every ski resort shuttle van is 2wd. It’s a question I always ask the driver on pick-up. I’ve never been in an AWD vehicle around the slopes. They seem to manage fine with 2wd and decent tyres…

Most of the ski staff and mountain instructors in Scotland I know have 2wd and probably chains. Guess its cost of vehicle, 4wd always better but driving ability and knowing the limitations of the vehicle set up helps.
The best vehicle we were in for snow work was this, unstoppable, cali on the trailer ?

View attachment 104263
ha ha !

up to the slopes, this on the trailer behind the Cali.

On the slopes, Cali on the trailer behind this ;) :D

Most of the ski staff and mountain instructors in Scotland I know have 2wd and probably chains. Guess its cost of vehicle, 4wd always better but driving ability and knowing the limitations of the vehicle set up helps.
The best vehicle we were in for snow work was this, unstoppable, cali on the trailer ?

View attachment 104263
This 4x4 school mum was almost unstoppable!...

ha ha !

up to the slopes, this on the trailer behind the Cali.

On the slopes, Cali on the trailer behind this ;) :D
Behind this, been on same journey in defender towing a 1Ton atv, interesting

This 4x4 school mum was almost unstoppable!...

No words, that 4x4 wouldnt get up the first hill in the conditions, on the track !
I read EV range is likely due too poor aerodynamics to reduce the suv numbers in favour of better aerodynamic models.
Probably not that driver, fossil to the end.

IKEA articl number
TUSSÖY Mattress topper, white, Standard Double

£129
Absolutely fantastic
Nice idea. Did you then re-use the VW cover, or cut and stitch the Ikea one?
Do you use anything else in addition upstairs now?

View attachment 104263
Could have done with that today, as I was up to my knees in places.
Only made it 3/4 way up, a little local bump but gorgeous day and didn’t see a soul apart from all the deer!9319577E-920F-400D-8836-A6501C2DDC71.jpegE135B25A-7F9D-4D78-A20E-53A71637158A.jpeg6C840D0D-FD36-4DAA-BFF2-53B7C2802EAB.jpeg0663366A-E7E3-4216-8DB5-E0E2BE7E11F8.jpeg

Nice idea. Did you then re-use the VW cover, or cut and stitch the Ikea one?
Do you use anything else in addition upstairs now?
I opened the IKEA mattres cover zip, cut to size, and zipped up the IKEA mattes cover.
The excess cover sits to the right of the mattress.

It’s really very comfy on top of the existing VW upstairs mattress.
But.
I’m going to try the IKEA one on its own.
And then I reckon the roof will shut with just the IKEA mattress up there.
Will give it a whirl in the spring…

This idea is copied from several other fora where it always seems popular.
I'll kick it off and say this morning I chauffeured my wife 50 miles to a meeting and visited the local VW retail centre whilst I waited for her meeting to conclude. Had a look over the new Tiguan, it seems practical and fairly well equipped.
The journey there and back was smooth and relaxing, confirming that the Cali. is just as versatile as a run around as it is camper van.
Pulled the rear seat forward as far as I could. Put a tarpaulin down in the enlarged space at the back and shovelled in free wood chips to mulch our garden. What a versatile vehicle!

I have wondered about one of those. Can I ask was it easy to fit and who sells them? Ta
Yeah, super easy and instructions clear. Took about 20 mins.

Bought from here;

Invested in a pack of rubber dots from B&M a whole £3 for about 200 of them. They are slightly longer than the vw ones on the sink & fridge. It has totally eliminated an annoying buzz/rattle from the top.
I now have a totally rattle free van.
B36C4903-D62A-4455-8E72-B6532CDA562C.jpeg

Brief day trip to Stowe House - quite a few campers of all shapes and sizes parked up. Followed by a chill in the van with a inverted Aeropress and The Rest is History podcast.

IMG_2586.jpgD4A49F0F-6966-4D43-984C-6508DDBBAD97.JPG

Pretty much every ski resort shuttle van is 2wd. It’s a question I always ask the driver on pick-up. I’ve never been in an AWD vehicle around the slopes. They seem to manage fine with 2wd and decent tyres…
The instant you take your foot off the gas and touch the brakes you are effectively no longer 4WD. So pointed out my brother a week after sliding off into a snow bank in his Suburu on his way to Avoriaz.

Back