Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Copied you again and bought the bonnet guard and Matt black badges… but couldn’t resist Stu@rt’s suggestion of Plasti- Dip.. £11 from Amazon. So just gone initially for ‘Plasti- Dipping’ the front and rear badges and the two chrome grill strips and see how it lasts. Doesn’t look too bad but tedious taping then layering coats with the half an hour wait between sprays.

View attachment 93310

View attachment 93311

View attachment 93312
How’s that dip stuff holding on, still ok? I saw a old transporter parked up what must of used similar on its front badge and it was all flaking off.
So not sure now about doing the front grills. May buy the black kit on eBay it’s £50 (ish)

How’s that dip stuff holding on, still ok? I saw a old transporter parked up what must of used similar on its front badge and it was all flaking off.
So not sure now about doing the front grills. May buy the black kit on eBay it’s £50 (ish)
It's still great but my wife said she thought an all black grill looked like something was missing! Funny enough, I sort of knew what she saying so peeled off the grill strips which wasn't as easy as I was expecting. I suspect they would have stayed on for some time unless I'd put some solvent/alcohol based fluid on the surface. I've left it on the badges. They are still 'solid'.

IMG_9673.jpeg

It's still great but my wife said she thought an all black grill looked like something was missing! Funny enough, I sort of knew what she saying so peeled off the grill strips which wasn't as easy as I was expecting. I suspect they would have stayed on for some time unless I'd put some solvent/alcohol based fluid on the surface. I've left it on the badges. They are still 'solid'.

View attachment 93659
I’ve gone for just one chrome strip at the mo. Think it looks good all black if the led lenser spots are fitted, but don’t want to spend a small fortune on them so may just leave it like this49D0C64E-E394-49AC-8C1A-DCDE0C0C4A37.jpeg

New walking shoes and sticks for us both in readiness for Part Two of Scotland.

It's been just over a year since we acquired our van in May 2021.
In that time, we've come to love it on many trips to visit and camp with our (grown-up) children in the West Country, visiting kite surfing spots all along the south coast from Kent to Cornwall and even overnighting on friends' driveways instead of driving home after a party.

The two big ticket items were suspension (last November) and electrics (this May).

Given it is a conversion on a Transporter T28 chassis, the van at 2.12m is a tad taller than a Cali. This makes access to some kite spots with height restricted car parks more challenging. And the nice-looking 20" rims sometimes provide more information about the road conditions than is comfortable.
After reading the many debates here and elsewhere, we chose VB-Air to replace the stock suspension because it doesn't invalidate the VW warranty and ROSMIA are only just up the road from my house. It provides a more comfortable ride and less 'lean' on roundabouts in both standard and Sport setting, self-levels the van on uneven ground and lifts it for additional ground clearance to cross fields. And we can "limbo" under a 6'6" (1.98m) barrier or into a multi-storey car park when required. (If you're considering this, be advised that the freshwater tank may need mods to make room for the air tanks for the compressor).

Over the last 6+ months, we've had progressive issues with the electrics. As a newbie, I accepted the conversion company's suggested solution, when I should have specified different technology. The 110Ah lead acid leisure battery was discharging continuously even without any load, and the solar panel failed to keep it alive, let alone charge it (turns out its cables were too thin and it fried some of its circuitry). As we often camp for several days without a hook-up, we replaced the lot with a 110Ah Lithium battery and associated Victron Energy components which also provide comprehensive real time and historical information about what's going in or out of the battery.
I've not seen a battery level below 85% yet.

Lastly, and I really did buy this today, we've ordered a GYBE Bus Tent (UK version). After a few emails with GYBE Trading GMBH in Germany, I managed to persuade them to supply to UK. Thanks to BREXIT I'll have to pay Customs Duty as well :-( which makes it an extravagance, but we really liked the awning. Awaiting delivery in June.

Primus Tupike Stove/grill and some adapters to R907 bottles. We are going to test it this weekend.

Primus Tupike Stove/grill and some adapters to R907 bottles. We are going to test it this weekend.
A great stove. But maybe take a bit of time to smooth some sharp edges the finish on some parts not as good as it could be.

A great stove. But maybe take a bit of time to smooth some sharp edges the finish on some parts not as good as it could be.

Thank you, I just changed the hose for a longer (100cm) one:
9f6395effe575697271af24baef66a0e.jpg

ba0aabef181c1bb635d394e6d31c93c7.jpg

f6722ee0af84c818043943f37061e65b.jpg

38b531b836cea238d12b8142a391baa6.jpg

Marvel mats custom fitted yesterday. Currently 20% off at Dunelm. Two 150cm x 50cm mats cut down to fit the Beach perfectly. Just enough left over for a mat between the seats. When making the bed, simply put one mat on top of the other. Being striped, the join is virtually invisible :)
Edit: colour is Candy Rock.

552D5BF2-D54E-4796-9E9B-6965C4A397D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Snap! We’ve just done our mats today too, and built a brew/snack table.

Also ordered a Rainbow Screens windscreen cover, Luci solar lights, an Outwell collapsible kettle and a carry bag for the hook up lead. We’ve had the Beach 3 years now and have gradually added bits after seeing them on here, this thread is great for ideas!

4172754B-C93D-4358-B692-16B6D3248FCC.jpeg

Also ordered a Rainbow Screens windscreen cover, Luci solar lights, an Outwell collapsible kettle and a carry bag for the hook up lead. We’ve had the Beach 3 years now and have gradually added bits after seeing them on here, this thread is great for ideas!

View attachment 94064
Have you tried the luci solar string lights yet ?
I tried mine for the first time (properly) for 5 days recently I think they are brilliant, solar charge during the day full power at night, 3 brightness settings (white ones only)
I have recommended and would recommend them

View attachment 94064
Nicely cut :)
Coincidentally, I made a side table that’s pretty much identical to yours a while ago!!!

I tried mine for the first time (properly) for 5 days recently I think they are brilliant, solar charge during the day full power at night, 3 brightness settings (white ones only)
Have got the MPOWERD Luci set ? We‘ve been thinking of getting these for a while.

No they haven’t arrived yet but I bought them after seeing them recommended on here on the thread about the best way to hang fairy lights. Looking forward to trying them out!

Have got the MPOWERD Luci set ? We‘ve been thinking of getting these for a while.
That’s them , simply brilliant, time will tell regarding reliability

so far very very impressed

edit: only the white version has a variable light out put, the colour ones are good, but don’t have an option for white light and are not variable brightness

483C9D26-3A55-4F7D-9FB4-2A685705A2C2.jpeg

Nicely cut :)
Coincidentally, I made a side table that’s pretty much identical to yours a while ago!!!
Thanks, pleased I didn’t mess it up! Yours looks good too, you can’t see the join! Mine is overlapped slightly at the moment, the seat needs moving back but there’s stuff in the boot getting in the way.

Copied everything for the table off that thread with everyone else’s creations. Been meaning to do it for ages but last time I looked I don’t think I could find the reimo folding leg in stock. Have also ordered a pixers sticker for it, forgot about that!

We were passing Søstrene Grene in Dublin yesterday. So went in and came out with 4 of these stainless steel bowls. Small enough to use as cereal bowls yet large enough to also use as salad bowls. Might triple-up as handy bowls to store leftovers in the fridge too. They look good and don’t rattle when stacked up.

We’ll see how they work in practice. I don’t recommend this shop however - it’s quite dangerous. It’s effectively a pound store where everything looks really nice and is priced at €10 instead of €1. If you go in there, you’re guaranteed to leave with €100 worth of tat you didn’t need.

38C994D0-F2F0-47BD-913A-760B94FE9AE0.jpeg

Back