What have we done?!!!... first night, first impressions

WillSS

WillSS

2 seater beach
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder whether they've made a big £40k mistake after staring at the lovely trim detail along the underside of a Cali roof for several hours in the middle of the night urging for a speedy dawn?. A tadge chilly, not helped by the fact that the double sleeping bag we thought we'd bought a few days earlier turned out to be a single and naturally the previous nights ale now didn't seem such a good idea with the prospect of a sub-zero van exit waking the whole family in the process. And I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the heater remote control was pointless and all too easy to lose on your first night away. Oh yes, at not one point during those long dark hours was I yearning for my clever fob residing all warm and cosy in the key pot back home. (Note to oneself - pack a long cane as a remote backup for trip2)

Ok so admittedly a bit on the chilly side last week just outside Bath (-2 overnight) and not helped with over excited kiddies who took an age to go to sleep, plus the dog not exactly chuffed about his new cooler accommodation.

Thankfully night two saw a huge improvement in the sleep stakes as we'd sorted ourselves out a little better though this may also have been down to the overnight temp lifting to a lofty 1 degrees and the pure exhaustion on behalf of the kids having been dragged up and over Cheddar Gorge for most of the day. Even the dog didn't complain.

So first impressions baring in mind we've come from, (many moons ago), a ratty 1972 type 2 and more recently a T4 day van.

-Night heater... can't believe how lovely that was.
-Light grey carpets won't be light grey for too long with our family.
-Need a bin of some description.
-Lower bed a bit small for us, can envisage 'if' summer comes we might sleep in an attached awning with kids in the roof thereby not having to rearrange the living quarters.
-Its a lovely refined engine with more than enough oomph (we have the 180 though tbh we would have been happy with the 140 we test drove).
-Seems a lack of places to store bits'n'pieces especially those that have been residing on top of the cooker/fridge units and then need to be shifted to make a brew. I see Brandrup offer the 'back of the seat hanging compartments' thing. Not a massive fan of the looks and will they allow the seats to spin?, is there any other alternative?
-I do like the clean minimalist look but I think access to the rear 12v power supplies could be more friendly. (And why no power point in the glove box?). Of course all these things can be easily rectified.
-Liking the economy, taking it easy we managed a respectable 35mpg for the trip. (500 miles).
-Enjoyed the car like creature comforts over our T4 but a bit disappointed in the ride/handling. Clearly its a top heavy monster but the shocks seem somewhat under damped. Appreciate it suits some people but for me there's too much body roll/wallow for comfortable driving along anything other than flat straight roads. And yet oddly seems to 'crash' quite hard when going over a speed bump, etc. Definitely want to improve this as our daughter greens up after a short period and our Cali in the back lanes will give the Channel ferry a run for its money.
Its not going to spoil the experience though as I'm sure its nothing a decent set of HD shocks won't sort out. I'm interested that VW only offer the sportline springs as some sort of resolution to this. I don't really want to lower it but will be taking advice on you peeps that have gone this way. Ideally I'd like to retain the ride height and sort out the shocks.

So in the end a successful first trip of 4 days/3 nights.

I'm also strangely ok about our first morning's breakfast spillage when we managed to christen the rear bench seat with a full bowl of milk laden cheerios along with our lovely new deep pile Brandrup carpet we negotiated so hard for in the VW dealers. Not so deep pile in places now but definitely the highlight of the trip for the dog.
Its difficult not to be overly precious about such a lovely van but we bought this to be used and are hopeful, (once that first night experience fades), it's a keeper, still with us long after the kiddies have left us... we can dream.

We're just rearranging a few things so we can hopefully come to the Cali on the Farm jolly so we can learn from the pro Cali folk. You'll recognise us, we'll be the ones shouting at our kids to go to sleep late into the night. And I'll be sporting some big bags under my eyes.... and a long cane under my arm.

Will and Maddy
(from deepest wildest Surrey)

p.s.1. we do like our children really.
p.s.2. comment from son aged 8 following some post trip analysis. "its nice but I think I prefer our red van" (that'll be our 13yr old T4 panel van with a bench seat in the back, value £3k).

p.s.3. we have a perfect set of 17" thunders for sale (came on the van with demo miles) as we swapped for some Dakars. Will attempt to post in the for sale section in the very near future.

Hi and welcome
I can sympathise with you as my first few nights in the Cali got me thinking what have I done :laugh2 let me reassure you it will improve.from my experience it takes a little while to get used to the Cali. You will soon find out over time what works best :thumb everybody is different some like sleeping bags,other' quilts as for storage again over time you will find out what works.It
Would be good if you can make it too the meet as there will be a lot of experienced owners there
Willing to share story's and advise :thumb hang in there :laugh2

Need a bin of some description.

Yes, this is one of the primary needs.
That is what I installed. Hope it may help.

(rotating the seat is not affected at all)

image.php

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/poube ... plate.html

I'm sure you will get used to it and find it absolutely fantastic.

If you find it too wallowy you could always book it in with us to have some lowering springs fitted :D

cheers and enjoy

I too find it wallows and crashes over bumps. I have never been interested in lowering a car in the past as I always trusted the manufacturer to set it up as well as science could.

But vw clearly do offer lowered springs which opened my mind to the subject. A key secondary benefit would be less chance of scraping it in car parks.

Could people let me know how the lowered springs ride please. I am not bothered about the look, it is the wallow I would like to reduce. Besides the cost, what hassles does lowering cause ?

Thanks

Cold makes everything worse!

We have a £5 ish 5l pedal bin from tesco, fits between the passenger seat and kitchen unit perfectly.

I might also suggest seat covers (we have the inka ones and they are great). Perfect for dogs, cereal spillages, over excited hand cream dispensers and more :)

gatvol said:
I too find it wallows and crashes over bumps. I have never been interested in lowering a car in the past as I always trusted the manufacturer to set it up as well as science could.

But vw clearly do offer lowered springs which opened my mind to the subject. A key secondary benefit would be less chance of scraping it in car parks.

Could people let me know how the lowered springs ride please. I am not bothered about the look, it is the wallow I would like to reduce. Besides the cost, what hassles does lowering cause ?

Thanks

I had mine lowered by smg last year it's the best thing I have done to the Cali
It feels much firmer in the handling it has less wallow and the kids no longer get travel sickness
In the back. Difficult to really explain the difference now but it is greatly improved

gatvol said:

Thanks

Just as a note, the reason VW offer lowering springs is that the T5 includes versions which are designed to be more car like such as Caravelles/Multivans. They are not so much about the look but designed to take the sting out of the roll and pitch. With the lowering spring there shouldn't be a concern about the van being too low they deigned and produced by VW not a guy on a trading estate somewhere who fancies having a go :).

I would say that California because of weight distribution is affected more and if I had a full Cali it would be the first thing I'd do.

James

Just got back from my first couple of nights in the Cali. Totally agree with you about the waste bin. It was the first thing on my todo list.
This first trip was so I could go through the Cali from top to bottom. As my drive is 1in4 I can't even open the side door easily. Anyway, one thing I did check were the tyre pressures. These were way up on the recommendation. I dropped them back to what it says on the label and the ride was much better on the way back, which included around a dozen speed bumps. Might be worth looking at.
One question. Behind the table in the sliding door is a recess in the door with two elastic straps over it. Anyone know what this recess is for?

Have Fun

Bob

HistoryBob said:
One question. Behind the table in the sliding door is a recess in the door with two elastic straps over it. Anyone know what this recess is for?

I would think the elastic is there to 'pop' the table out when you release the catch, and the recesses are to receive the table legs, I don't think there is much room left once the table goes in.

Dibz said:
HistoryBob said:

I would think the elastic is there to 'pop' the table out when you release the catch, and the recesses are to receive the table legs, I don't think there is much room left once the table goes in.
Thanks for your solution. Logical when I think about it.

Have Fun

I know what you mean about the ride.

I found standard springs gave too much body roll - made Mrs CT sick on the test ride.

The roll is much better with the -30mm springs and it rides great although it doesn't soak up rough tarmac like my cars do. For that reason I'm resisting the urge to put 18" wheel/tyres on and am sticking with 17" thunders.

I think you probably have to tune it to get the best compromise to suit your requirements.

Long spiel - in summary - big thumbs up for lower springs from me.

Check the tyre pressures, makes a huge difference to ride and don't forget the kerb weight is 2.8 tons so drive accordingly. I find 65mph and a bit of Led Zep a good combo.

On the back of out seats we have Sunshine Kid organisers, I think about 15 quid each, also we use a box or square bag in between the fronts seats for general bits and bobs. Also plastic boxes in the cupboards make things easier and smaller bags in the doors. Also use various boxes in the big back seat drawer.

Get a better sleeping bag! I was toasty on Dartmoor last week in my Canadian down bag, even had. The windows unzipped upstairs.

Heater is fab.

Get some proper screens too for the front, the VW ones are rubbish, I have a set from Kiravans but just replacing with an external Silver Screen. Either way insulation is your friend.

We learned a lot on the first trip in ours and after a few more I think we have it pretty sorted. Learn and enjoy.

Seb

Hi,
thanks for all the replies, very welcoming!
The bin link is great, will be putting in an the order for one of those.
Re the handling it looks like all those that have gone with the Sportline springs are very happy so clearly an option there and maybe the only option re the warranty assuming that's all VW offer for the Cali, (Alex?). If it does the job then I'll be happy.
I'm just a bit confused as to why you need to drop the van to stop the wallow. I appreciate that will improve things as you've lowered your centre of gravity and have less spring travel (and presumably harsher over potholes, etc) but I don't see why you can't improve the ride considerably AND retain the ride height/spring length. There's plenty of full height vans out there that still ride great. Our T4 has VW Heavy duty standard height springs and combined with aftermarket Sachs HD touring shocks rides really well, no wallow or bounce at all but still eats kerbs and speed bumps with no crashing (helped by the 'slightly' oversize tyres!). Clearly the Cali is much heavier but even with our T4 fully loaded up the handling deterioration is minimal (unlike the speed!).

DSC08812.jpg

On another note, with the thought of driving to ski resorts at some point in the future has anyone not blessed with the 4motion put snow chains on? Enough room to fit?
cheers, Will.

Re: snow chains, the answer is yes and we purchased Thule's but can't recall the model number (if you do a search in this forum you will find a few threads on this topic). We went skiing in Feb in the Cali and it was great but you need to be organised and travel light.

Our T4 has VW Heavy duty standard height springs and combined with aftermarket Sachs HD touring shocks rides really well, no wallow or bounce at all but still eats kerbs and speed bumps with no crashing (helped by the 'slightly' oversize tyres!). Clearly the Cali is much heavier but even with our T4 fully loaded up the handling deterioration is minimal (unlike the speed!).

I totally agree with it.
Earlier I had T4 Transporter, camper equipped. The suspension was far superior in T4 than T5, standard suspension in both.
T4 was much more comfortable with no wallaw or bounce . Bit sad.
I also heard from repaireman that T4 suspension was more robust and longlasting.

The only suspension modification that we can carry out through VW is to fit the lowering springs. Unfortunately these are not compatible with a 4MOTION vehicle.

Regards

smgcowfold said:
The only suspension modification that we can carry out through VW is to fit the lowering springs. Unfortunately these are not compatible with a 4MOTION vehicle.

Regards

Can't I have T4 suspension installed in T5?, please :bananadance

or this as a factory option? :D

t5jacked.jpg

might need a step ladder to get in though!

WillSS said:
or this as a factory option? :D

t5jacked.jpg

might need a step ladder to get in though!

Lol ... Now I would want one of those please ;-) ....

Hi Dibz - re the bin - does the passenger seat swivel ok with it in place? Looks a bit too wide?

Cheers

Ian

IanE said:
Hi Dibz - re the bin - does the passenger seat swivel ok with it in place? Looks a bit too wide?

Cheers

Ian

If the question is for me:
yes it does swivel, no problem whatsoever.

Hi Andresz - many thanks for respondIng, but no I was asking Dibz :)