Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What are you drinking ?

I always thought Stoptober was about quitting the fags,but these band wagons are easy jumped on. soon be January. or Dryuary or whatever it is these days. they say you live longer by not drinking, they are wrong, it just 'seems' longer.
I also once read that drinking just 1 beer a day is bad for you, so I've stopped reading.

I am not a sheep, bit of a cow maybe but most certainly not a sheep.

My alcohol consumption is also most weeks well in excess of the 14 units a week recommended.

Part of my night job used to be giving wine talks and running “call my quaff” events

However I would never disparage those who for whatever reason, whatever pretext, whatever hackneyed piece of marketing, choose to abstain.

I do. I will do again although this month is a wrong time for me. The heath benefits of just giving it a rest,any habit giving it a rest, is indisputable. I regularly try to give my system a rest and notice the difference dramatically.
I
It might be hard hackneyed, but don’t knock those who do it.

Alcohol free beer = yuk.

Yes they used go be completely horrid but now there are actually a handful of really quite good ones that are well drinkable and I quite often have one if I'm driving. Another plus with these is that they are pretty low-calorie eg the Erdinger is 125 cal per 500ml bottle.

M&S Low Alcohol Czech Lager. Excellent stuff, don;t know how they do it. But very hard to get hold of as it seems to come in then sell out immediately.

Erdinger Alkoholfrei
. Labelled as "Refreshing Isotonic Drink" (eeww!) but actually a quite tasty Pilsner-style beer if very slightly thin. I drink it when I can't get the M&S.

Brewdog Nanny State. Very hoppy IPA if you like that sort of thing - which I don't really, but it's certainly a quality product.

Yes they used go be completely horrid but now there are actually a handful of really quite good ones that are well drinkable and I quite often have one if I'm driving. Another plus with these is that they are pretty low-calorie eg the Erdinger is 125 cal per 500ml bottle.

M&S Low Alcohol Czech Lager. Excellent stuff, don;t know how they do it. But very hard to get hold of as it seems to come in then sell out immediately.

Erdinger Alkoholfrei
. Labelled as "Refreshing Isotonic Drink" (eeww!) but actually a quite tasty Pilsner-style beer if very slightly thin. I drink it when I can't get the M&S.

Brewdog Nanny State. Very hoppy IPA if you like that sort of thing - which I don't really, but it's certainly a quality product.
Thanks VD. The best one I had found was Becks Blue, but even that didn't quite do it for me. I've been drinking sparkling juices but they are so SWEET! All I really fancy tonight is a nice full bodied antipodean red. Will I waver …. ?

I don't like Becks Blue either. I think you'd find the ones I listed to be in a different class to the Becks.

I also tried kombucha which is supposed to be the new trending non-alc drink, but it doesn't do much for me.

And now I'm off to walk up to the pub. It's Friday, beer o'clock. Cheers!

And now I'm off to walk up to the pub. It's Friday, beer o'clock. Cheers!

I don't like Becks Blue either. I think you'd find the ones I listed to be in a different class to the Becks.

I also tried kombucha which is supposed to be the new trending non-alc drink, but it doesn't do much for me.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to find a decent alcohol free beer for years. Must try those.

Alcohol-free beer is in the same as vegetarian bacon or a conversion rather than a Cali. My view avoid altogether or just stick with the real thing.

We don't drink any diet drinks due to the poisonous sweeteners that are in everything these days, anything that says sugar free will have these in and there are more and more reports coming out how dangerous these are to our health.

We stick to fizzy water with a slice of Lemon

Ardbeg for october. Runs nice with the open fire st home or the clicking sounds of the cali heater.

We don't drink any diet drinks due to the poisonous sweeteners that are in everything these days, anything that says sugar free will have these in and there are more and more reports coming out how dangerous these are to our health.

We stick to fizzy water with a slice of Lemon
Since we inherited a fridge with a water cooler in, we've all been drinking much more water. A bit dull on a Friday night though ...

Radio the mothership IPA is quite nice if you don’t mind the sweet pineapple tones.

And if that doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can always fall back on a London Pride if you’ve gone too deep into the woods with your Cali.

Hold yer horses, Stoptober is a stop smoking campaign!

October to me always seems to me the perfect month for nice bottles of hairy-chested Gigondas or whatever to enjoy in front of the wood stove and the fruits of last season's slavery over a hot wood-splitter, with this season's apple and blackberry pie. And double cream.

Dry January is for doing booze penance, not Oct. God, where do people get these ideas from. :headbang

:rolleyes:
Totally agree we’ve done dry Jan for a number of years now it’s a good way of reigning in your drinking after Xmas excess

Totally agree we’ve done dry Jan for a number of years now it’s a good way of reigning in your drinking after Xmas excess
I struggle in Jan as the house is always full of interesting drinkies after Christmas. Feb I could probably do!

I confess I fell off the Sober in October wagon yesterday. A couple of glasses of white wine. I visited the demented parents in their care home (gruelling), and prepared for mum's move to new home (less gruelling, nice place and nicer carers) and just felt like vegging out with a glass and watching Strictly in the evening. Not the end of the world. Perhaps I'll rename it 'Stop drinking on weekdays in October' … Real life sober is just too awful sometimes. Things will get better soon. I hope.

Ardbeg for october. Runs nice with the open fire st home or the clicking sounds of the cali heater.
Oh my favourite, any Islay single malt the peatier the better. Roll on November!
:cheers:help

I struggle in Jan as the house is always full of interesting drinkies after Christmas. Feb I could probably do!

I confess I fell off the Sober in October wagon yesterday. A couple of glasses of white wine. I visited the demented parents in their care home (gruelling), and prepared for mum's move to new home (less gruelling, nice place and nicer carers) and just felt like vegging out with a glass and watching Strictly in the evening. Not the end of the world. Perhaps I'll rename it 'Stop drinking on weekdays in October' … Real life sober is just too awful sometimes. Things will get better soon. I hope.
Not an emoji suitable, I cannot ‘like this’ nor ‘agree’ so will make one up as to say ‘day at a time’ and ‘best wishes’.....

Sometimes the time is not right and no point worrying over it :)

Family problems like you have would drive anyone to drink.

We had a phone call on Friday night ...."Mum taken a turn for the worst".... packed everything up, another phone call .... "not as bad as we thought"....... Saturday unpacked everything, then I decided last night that I would visit on my own with no caravan to tow and do a flying reconnaissance of camp sites open in the winter just in case ..... "oh for goodness sake Jo, let's open a bottle".....

Not a wholly enjoyable drive today :sad

Sometimes the time is not right and no point worrying over it :)

Family problems like you have would drive anyone to drink.

We had a phone call on Friday night ...."Mum taken a turn for the worst".... packed everything up, another phone call .... "not as bad as we thought"....... Saturday unpacked everything, then I decided last night that I would visit on my own with no caravan to tow and do a flying reconnaissance of camp sites open in the winter just in case ..... "oh for goodness sake Jo, let's open a bottle".....

Not a wholly enjoyable drive today :sad
Oh poor you. Elderly parents are such a worry. Fingers crossed today goes well and mum not too upset. On the plus side, this kind of stress is great for banishing constipation! Sorry. TMI.

Back