Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s the in the safety kit under the sink

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are planning to go to France, can I ask what’s in the red safety kit under the sink, yes I could open it but it’s all covered in plastic and would prefer to keep it that way, it’s one less thing to get damp with condensation you get under there sometimes. Also is it still breathalysers, one hi vis jacket and triangles in France

We are also taking bikes I know you need the red stripy sign, does it need to be attached a certain way or any other advice

Last edited:
Also is it still breathalysers, one hi vis jacket and triangles in France
In 2013 the French government announced that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyser with you (which was to be 11 euros) was postponed indefinitely. I very much doubt if many French drivers still have one in their glove box, but it seems you can still buy one from Halfords here, so I assume some Brits still can't resist buying them as part of their pre-travel ritual. Personally I'd keep the cash to spend on a couple of bottles of Trois Monts.

Yes you do still need triangle and vests - NB that's one vest per person travelling in the vehicle, and stowed somewhere grabbable as you exit on the hard shoulder (ours live under the driver's seat). You also must carry a spare bulb kit in France.

TBH, I can't imagine travelling anywhere without those basic safety items (well apart from the breathalyser) we have them permanently in all our vehicles whether in UK or on the Continent.

Not sure that's the case.
It's been years since I owned a vehicle in which you could change a bulb at the roadside, in the dark, without a lot of swearing!
I stand corrected, the RAC travel advice says they're recommended not mandatory.

If I had to change a bulb by the roadside it would probably be the same as when I tried to change a halogen bulb in the house. Living in the dark until an emergency electrician arrived to restore power to the whole house, and probably the rest of the street as well.

The hi-viz vest is in all of our vehicles, I still have a couple of breathalysers, probably well out of date.

I last went to France in 2019 but it all seems to be a distant memory now :confused:

We are also taking bikes I know you need the red stripy sign, does it need to be attached a certain way or any other advice

The red stripy sign is only needed for Italy and Spain. The Spanish one has 3 red stripes whereas the Italian one has 5 with red in each corner and is supposed to be made of aluminium. The stripes must always run like this: /// not \\\

The red stripy sign is only needed for Italy and Spain. The Spanish one has 3 red stripes whereas the Italian one has 5 with red in each corner and is supposed to be made of aluminium. The stripes must always run like this: /// not \\\
Because if you had the stripes running like \\\ it would of course be a potential death trap. Thank god the bureaucrats are looking after our safety. :headbang