Wet walking gear

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Where do you store your wet coats, over trousers and gaiters?
I’ve got a plasters bucket for washing off the boots and looking forward to standing under the boot lid whilst I scrub the muck off.
I then put the wet boots in plasters bucket to dry off.
But the coats ?
I was thinking about those kinda coat hanger things off the back of the drivers seat and dripping onto a separate absorbent mat or something.
What do you do ?

I was just listening to Californication on my run this morning. Great track!

We wind out our awning and hang them up on the arms with hangers. Gets them out of the rain.

Boots we put under the van.
In wet weather (unless it's pretty horizontal) winding out the awning about a metre or less gives a useful "porch" but without much risk of damage by a gust of wind. Handy for hanging drippy wet stuff etc.

But I also made up a long bungee that goes under the tailgate when open - hooks at either end to the tops of the gas struts and through the strap handle in the middle. When on a campsite we usually pop our shower towels up there while we have breakfast so they're dry(ish) by the time we head off on the road.

I was just listening to Californication on my run this morning. Great track!

We wind out our awning and hang them up on the arms with hangers. Gets them out of the rain.

Boots we put under the van.
Isn’t it, I watched the US TV series too, until it became repetitive. Good old Fox!

Aha, yes that’s a good idea, I should have mentioned whilst driving the Buzz!

I’ve got a plasters bucket for washing off the boots and looking forward to standing under the boot lid whilst I scrub the muck off.
But the coats ?
I was thinking about those kinda coat hanger things off the back of the drivers seat and dripping onto a separate absorbent mat or something.
What do you do ?
An Outwell Hillcrest tarp (or similar) can be slid into the rail on the passenger side to provide additional cover without cluttering up the inside of the van or the wind out awning.

What do you do ?
Should also have mentioned - I have a couple of sucker hooks that we can stick to side window to hang sopping wet coats if necessary. That way they drip onto the side door step recess rather than onto main floor of the van. Have only used that once or twice, in very "Scottish" conditions.

I would not let anything drip inside the van. The humidity will go through the roof and if it is cool there will be condensation in all sorts of places including inside the door panels. On getting back after a wet walk all kit goes into a plastic bag. Then hand up outside, or in a campsite drying room, at the earliest opportunity.

I put all my wet walking jackets/leggings in a dry bag.Seal the bag and put the items out when it’s dry on a line. Saves having wet kit inside the van.You can buy them online or in some outdoor stores.
We use a similar dry bag for dirty washing too. Nice to be able to seal and reseal the bag over and over. One of our best Cali accessories.

Good idea’s :thumb
I’ve got a couple of Cressi dry sacks I can use whilst they are ringing wet.
Fold em up. Seal. Then retrieve out at camp or home if it’s a day walk and dry. Sorted :cheers

An Outwell Hillcrest tarp (or similar) can be slid into the rail on the passenger side to provide additional cover without cluttering up the inside of the van or the wind out awning.
Very true, I got a good deal on the fell and hill crest set from a guy selling new gear on here.

If I’m multi day walking/skiing etc I put my outer wet kit in a surfers dry bag, hang up in the rear of the van. I have a tube that goes from my heater into the bag, put it on low. In the morning it’s dry. The surfers bag has a whole at the bottom to allow water out, need to put a small pot under it.

But the coats ?
What do you do ?
Wet boots on side step by sliding door, and soaking wet coats go in shower area.
If they are only a bit wet then have a hook attached to top part of seat belt (drivers side) so coats hang over sliding door side step (not above boots). Plus have good ventilation.
Need dry gear daily.
Your heater is probably to close to side step for boots, so move to passenger front foot well when parked up (if unable to dry outside).

Last edited:
I fixed a line of paracord to the net loops on the roof to make an indoor washing line, and hang wet coats on coathangers there above the heater. I've never found them to be dripping wet, we shake the excess water off before we bring them inside. If you're on holidsy in (eg) the Lake District, you're going to need them again the next day, can't stick them in a bag & dry them at home. But it's a damned nuisance, and it helps if you have an awning, though nothing really dries in there unless it's summer.

046DE5AA-50CE-4755-8BE8-D35825F078BF.jpeg
Ok it’s not a California but you can see my tea towels drying and the pegs on the bungees are there for wet clothes….I air pjs there in the morning too! Rain’s due tomorrow

Back