California Club Meet West Wittering

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Over the half term break I am intending to take my boys (6 & 7) to West Wittering beach, and wonder if there are any others who would like to join us. If the proposed easing of restrictions happens on 17 May, groups of up to 30 will be allowed to meet.

Possible dates are:
Tuesday 1 June
Wednesday 2 June
Thursday 3 June
Friday 4 June

All day parking is £8 and must be pre-booked.

For those who don’t know the beach, West Wittering is a long sandy beach at the eastern side of the entrance to Chichester Harbour. East Head is quieter than West Wittering with secluded sand dunes, and attached by “the hinge” to the western end of WW beach.

The beach is most fun for children at low tide with little pools of water on the sand banks. In this respect the tides are most favourable on Friday with a low tide at about 12.30. (Tues ~9.15; Wed ~10.30; Thur ~11.30).

Please post if interested, and which days would suit you best.

Over the half term break I am intending to take my boys (6 & 7) to West Wittering beach, and wonder if there are any others who would like to join us. If the proposed easing of restrictions happens on 17 May, groups of up to 30 will be allowed to meet.

Possible dates are:
Tuesday 1 June
Wednesday 2 June
Thursday 3 June
Friday 4 June

All day parking is £8 and must be pre-booked.

For those who don’t know the beach, West Wittering is a long sandy beach at the eastern side of the entrance to Chichester Harbour. East Head is quieter than West Wittering with secluded sand dunes, and attached by “the hinge” to the western end of WW beach.

The beach is most fun for children at low tide with little pools of water on the sand banks. In this respect the tides are most favourable on Friday with a low tide at about 12.30. (Tues ~9.15; Wed ~10.30; Thur ~11.30).

Please post if interested, and which days would suit you best.
I grew up there and can wholeheartedly recommend it. Wonderful memories. Greetings from Switzerland, otherwise would have joined you in June. Have a great time.

Would love to join you. West Wittering is one of my favourite places and East Head is just bliss.
E07BC681-7669-4F26-9CCB-05763AC36A98.jpeg

I hope I could make the Friday but am away at the beginning of the week having my solar panels fitted.

Last edited:
It’s worth being aware of the potential traffic congestion from the A27 down to Wittering. If you get your timing wrong it can be horrendous. Might be worth an overnight at Wickes Farm just up the road (next door to Keith Richards house, famous for the drugs raid!).

It’s worth being aware of the potential traffic congestion from the A27 down to Wittering. If you get your timing wrong it can be horrendous. Might be worth an overnight at Wickes Farm just up the road (next door to Keith Richards house, famous for the drugs raid!).

I know it would be horrendous on the bank holiday Monday, but is it likely to be bad mid week during half term?

I know it would be horrendous on the bank holiday Monday, but is it likely to be bad mid week during half term?
It should be fine midweek in June even though half term. But a summer bank holiday with a great weather forecast can mean a 3+ hour queue to get from Chichester to West Witt (although back roads can help reduce that a lot)

It should be fine midweek in June even though half term. But a summer bank holiday with a great weather forecast can mean a 3+ hour queue to get from Chichester to West Witt (although back roads can help reduce that a lot)
In pre-COVID times, I would completely agree but anyone wanting to come now needs to prebook their space. My experience last summer was that pre- booking significantly reduced the queues. There are still people who chance their arm but no where near what we used to have.

The estate has also changed to number plate recognition for the JustPark bookings (previously used for permit holders only). When I was down a couple of weeks ago there was no longer a big security presence and the kiosks no longer had people manning them. That says to me that the number of people chancing it has calmed a lot.

Last year, the council put in a lot of cones etc to stop street parking as well, to avoid people piling down and parking on the street after a disastrous start to the season. I didn’t notice anything a couple of weeks ago but imagine this will come back if numbers pick up, especially for bank holidays etc.

How was Wittering? I see they’ve now got electronic warning signs as you come of the Chichester Bypass letting drivers know when the Wittering car park is full.

We’re going there soon and car park is booked. Any recommendations for a lunch spot? I’m guessing a walk to East Wittering?

@GrumpyGranddad Nice cafe:

Last edited:
Only just spotted this thread due to the recent activity on it.
West Wittering sounds like a great spot fr a club meet :thumb

Did anything happen?

@GrumpyGranddad Nice cafe:

Looks good, thanks @Ch1pbutty

How was Wittering? I see they’ve now got electronic warning signs as you come of the Chichester Bypass letting drivers know when the Wittering car park is full.

No one confirmed they were going, and we didn’t book the car park. When we came to book a space all spaces were already booked- so we went to Hayling instead.

We’re going there soon and car park is booked. Any recommendations for a lunch spot? I’m guessing a walk to East Wittering?
If you don’t mind a short drive the Aerodrome Cafe in Goodwood Circuit is worth a visit. Right next to runway with a Spitfire and Harvard flying if you’re Lucky plus the potential for some interesting cars if there’s a track day (check the diary) https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/motor-circuit/motor-circuit-diary/.
Another nice spot is the cafe in Chichester Marina.

The cafe is now open; I saw lots of people as I drove past last weekend. I’ve not tried it yet, but may also be worth a look.

I can recommend the fish and chip take away from Boulevard in East Wittering (It’s much better than either of the traditional chippies. Of course, you can sit in as well, but who doesn’t love fish and chips looking at the sea?

If people do go down, drop me a line, as I’ll be down there a lot over the summer, and it would be so lovely to met some more members x

The cafe is now open; I saw lots of people as I drove past last weekend. I’ve not tried it yet, but may also be worth a look.

I can recommend the fish and chip take away from Boulevard in East Wittering (It’s much better than either of the traditional chippies. Of course, you can sit in as well, but who doesn’t love fish and chips looking at the sea?

If people do go down, drop me a line, as I’ll be down there a lot over the summer, and it would be so lovely to met some more members x

We are back down that way between 23 July and 7 August. It’s a bit of a trek around to W. Wittering, but we’ll do it at least once while staying at Emsworth.

The sooner I get a decent sized boat of my own the better. Our 1969 Mirror isn’t really up to the job of getting us there and back safely!

We are back down that way between 23 July and 7 August. It’s a bit of a trek around to W. Wittering, but we’ll do it at least once while staying at Emsworth.

The sooner I get a decent sized boat of my own the better. Our 1969 Mirror isn’t really up to the job of getting us there and back safely!

Let me know when and I will pop over if poss.

We are down for those two weeks too. We have friends coming the first week but would still be lovely to say hello, so definitely let me know if you head down.

PS I know nothing about boats but love watching everyone sail up to East Head and pile on to the dunes for some lunch or a kick about. Looks unbelievably cool!

We are down for those two weeks too. We have friends coming the first week but would still be lovely to say hello, so definitely let me know if you head down.

PS I know nothing about boats but love watching everyone sail up to East Head and pile on to the dunes for some lunch or a kick about. Looks unbelievably cool!

As kids (4 brothers) mum and dad used to sail us there on an early morning ebb tide and back on the evening flood tide. I guess we must have gone in two boats.

Clare will be working in London, so I might be able to sail to East Head in our ancient mirror with our two boys. Looking at the tide tables, it might work on Monday 2 August.

West Wittering is a nightmare to get in and out of in the summer btw. One road in, one road out. Queues all the way down from the ring road in peak season (several miles). Nice beach tho. Much better suited to an out of season meet.