Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"WE Connect" - useless or ?

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I have a late 2018 Beach with Discover Media Plus. I managed to get the Car Net thing set up and receiving data, although I have to say (like many others) the Sat Nav is not very good.

Anyway, I got suckered into the 'We Connect' app download and sign-up. It's next to useless compared to what the VW websites say it can do. I guess the Cali's are not wired up for it? Has anyone got any more than mileage and a completely basic report from it?

We have App Connect on ours and this gives the opportunity to link your phone, either Apple or Android, and use Google Maps for Navigation.
VW version
California Chris version

Thanks Simon. Yes I have App-Connect and it works. It would be better if bluetooth rather than a cable though!

The 'We Connect' is different. It's supposed to send vehicle data and other stuff back to be accessed from a web portal and app. It looks like it might be the new name for 'Car-Net'... Fancy stuff like heating the vehicle, checking fuel levels, service notices, etc.

https://www.volkswagen-carnet.com/en_GB.html

Hi folks, I am a happy owner of a new Bulli 6.1 California Ocean. Has anyone experience with Volkswagen ID & We Connect & We Connect Plus. What are the features you use with success, what features give difficulties. I understand that some VW dealer understand the mechanics well but have not had great experiences with software. Is VW using IoT within this We connect way? I think many new and existing owners will be interested in this topic.

Hi folks, I am a happy owner of a new Bulli 6.1 California Ocean. Has anyone experience with Volkswagen ID & We Connect & We Connect Plus. What are the features you use with success, what features give difficulties. I understand that some VW dealer understand the mechanics well but have not had great experiences with software. Is VW using IoT within this We connect way? I think many new and existing owners will be interested in this topic.
Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your purchase. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Nobody, but nobody understands We Connect software! ;) If, when you figure it out, please share!

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your purchase. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Nobody, but nobody understands We Connect software! ;) If, when you figure it out, please share!

I will as soon as I have some experiences. It probably will make life easier. The first experience I have made is spending hours on the help desk since my Bulli has no connection to the server. You may ask at the hand over to do the setup with the dealer. He should prepare all that it works from the beginning. In my case it was not properly prepared

Welcome and Congratulations on your new bus! enjoy the travels.

There are two VW apps active now - WeConnect and WeConnect Go. Not heard about WeConnect Plus.

On WeConnectGo - with the dongle installed in my Golf, was very happy with the data/information that it provided. When I sold the Golf, moved the Dongle over to the Cali and the app automatically picked up the new Cali, updated all required information such as Adblue range etc (the Golf did not have Adblue) and it now tracks all routes and comments on my driving style etc, but unfortunately does not pick up refuels as it did on the Golf. Need some time to figure that out.

For technical and driving data from the car/bus, you should use WeConnectGo

On WeConnect - have that as well, but its use seem to very limited - it is more of a method for VW to link your vehicle to you and provide the additional services such as CarNet ... and I suspect, also to keep you on top of other marketing information. Enter your VIN number and then it will give you a code to enter into your VW Head Unit/Connected System. So only if you have the connected unit/service will you be able to use WeConnect.

For technical information, support and marketing info from VW mothership, I guess, WeConnect is the tool.

This is my current level of knowledge, but as time passes, if I discover more, will let you know.

Continual problems with We Connect forced us to sell our VW Golf GTE. It hardly ever worked when we needed it, and you do need it with the hybrid GTE (in contrast to pure fossil fuelled vehicles like the T6).

Tried setting this up on my T6 Ocean today. Using my phone as mobile hotspot, unfortunately next to useless if you are on EE, as only works, and erratically at that, if you switch the 4G off and use 3G . . .

My own experience (2017 204 Ocean and 2019 Golf, both with Discover Media)

We Connect App
Talks with both vehicles. Useful for sending destinations from my phone to the SatNav system. Also links to my phone's diary (which is linked to my PC's diary), so the locations of my appointments can be transferred via We Connect to the SatNav.
But that's about it.
The van is generally connected to the internet via my phone's mobile hotspot (using EE) although I have used a VW CarStick to connect. The phone (up to 4G) is quicker than the CarStick (up to 3G). (I understand that a newer 4G version of the CarStick is now available)

We Connect Go App
Haven't tried to connect to the Golf. On the van, connects to the VW ODB2 DataPlug via bluetooth. Provides various details, many of which I'm not interested in. (Mileage, fuel level, miles travelled, driving time, fuel used tracker, driving style etc).

Neither App has any difficulty in connecting. Both worked "out of the box". I could easily live without either, but of the two, We Connect (not Go) is the more useful and I use it often to send destinations to the SatNav.

Total cost of trying these out £NIL.

Thoughts please pros and cons of using this app

On the T6.1, you get the new, updated functionality. The previous version was known for being buggy and not that great, but the T6.1 gets the latest version which is hopefully improved.

Your version should include tracking, so if it gets nicked you can find it (Or give you a route back to the car park if you get lost in a unfamiliar town you’re visiting). You can also use things like Hey Siri on your phone,, so say ‘Hey Siri, unlock my car’....or ‘Hey Siri, set the heater’.

Unfortunately I don’t have a T6.1 to try this, but it would be great to understand how reliable it is.

Tks for that bit worried if I loose fone!

Tks for that bit worried if I loose fone!
The Hey Siri car unlock feature has Face ID associated to it as well, so it is more secure than simply losing your keys. And you can choose not to enable that feature if you wish.

Overall, I like the look of it, but have no experience of it’s reliability. On paper it looks much better than the previous version.

The idea of tracking a stolen vehicle, checking how much fuel I have or setting the heater on the way back after a days walking appeal to me.

As it’s free for you (I believe), it’s worth a go and if you don’t like it you can delete the app.

OK I tried again to figure this WeConnect thing out, and after going around in circles decided to contact the support via email. Here is pretty much what they said "you don't have it". Oh well, I thought it was standard depending on the media head you have, obviously my mistake (we got the Beach from an importer who spec's them himself and sells them in country, I had no idea about WeConnect anyway so it's no loss for me)

To quote the support email reply:
"According to our system, you Volkswagen seems to be equipped with the Guide & Inform service package.

The more detailed driving information that you speak of is not included in this package but is part of the Security & Service package, which is not equipped in your Volkswagen.

We regret that, due to the nature of the equipment installation method, it is not possible to retrofit We Connect packages."

Also this might be of interest to some of you:
"Furthermore, we would like to inform you that the "My Points of Interest" service has been discontinued. It will remain available to you until the expiration date of your package in 2021, but will not be extended with the other services if you decide to perform a contract extension."

Tried setting this up on my T6 Ocean today. Using my phone as mobile hotspot, unfortunately next to useless if you are on EE, as only works, and erratically at that, if you switch the 4G off and use 3G . . .
Just posting an update on this - I have since bought a Netgear mobile hotspot and put a Vodafone SIM in it, and everything works perfectly, including via 4G connection.

My three years “Guide and Inform” (now known as We Connect” introductory trial expired in March.

On Tuesday I got stuck for an hour just north of the Blackwall Tunnel with no possibility of escape to divert.

Two minutes before the tunnel reopened I was informed on Discover Media that there was a broken down HGV in the tunnel (via the radio data system).

Before March this information would have been transmitted immediately to Amarillo via the MiFi dongle with a Vodafone sim, along with accurate traffic flow information for trunk roads across Europe.

I have now renewed my contract for a further 2 years for £120 - worth it for traffic information alone, but gives other nuggets of information such as weather at destination, fuel prices at nearby filling stations and parking availability.

I have now renewed my contract for a further 2 years for £120 - worth it for traffic information alone, but gives other nuggets of information such as weather at destination, fuel prices at nearby filling stations and parking availability.
I use a TomTom GO 520 which connects to the www via bluetooth on my phone (if I am lucky). It gives pretty much the same info, but for some reason I trust it more than the built in VW system. We switched to external sat-navs when our LRD3 nav got way out of date. We use it in both vehicles and my wife can deal with it. The only pain is having that extra thing hanging around, the extra wire plugged into USB, and taking it off the windscreen when you want to put the blinds up and go to bed!

@Swiss Cheese - I also use a TomTom which has free lifetime World maps, free speed cameras and free traffic updates. There are major map updates every couple of months and the traffic data is excellent. It has steered me round a number of major holdups and saved hours of queues.
I received an offer from TomTom for the Premium X which was 30% off and the screen size is the same as the VW screen. I use one of the bean bag mounts so it is not fixed to the screen, there is the wire back to the nearest USB point though.
It has a database of garages, POI, electric charging points and so on which you can activate.
Updating the devices used to be slow, but that has been made much easier now and for those who like to do everything from every device it has ITTT on it which can turn on your heating, for example, when you are a certain distance from home and a number of other features that I have never felt the need to use.

I will as soon as I have some experiences. It probably will make life easier. The first experience I have made is spending hours on the help desk since my Bulli has no connection to the server. You may ask at the hand over to do the setup with the dealer. He should prepare all that it works from the beginning. In my case it was not properly prepared
Hi Slim, this is useful to know, I have a ex demo 6.1 and I’ve spent 5 days trying to get the We Connect to work, I’ve tried a hot spot, parking next to a WiFi signal and putting credit on the Sim Card but nothing has worked! It keeps saying become the Primary User and then it just thinks about it but goes no further.
Can I ask what your dealer did to set it up, I suspect my dealer won’t know.

I had a similar issue in a Mercedes C Class. The fix was to turn ‘Personal Hotspot’ on on my iPhone.

Hi Slim, this is useful to know, I have a ex demo 6.1 and I’ve spent 5 days trying to get the We Connect to work, I’ve tried a hot spot, parking next to a WiFi signal and putting credit on the Sim Card but nothing has worked! It keeps saying become the Primary User and then it just thinks about it but goes no further.
Can I ask what your dealer did to set it up, I suspect my dealer won’t know.
I had the same setup issue in my 6.1. call the help number and they will sort it out for you. They are really helpful but it did take about 2 hours on the phone. Once you have become the primary user then you get the traffic info etc.

Back