Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water supply to the tap and possible electrical fault

S

Stephanie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, My T5 has developed a strange problem. The pump and water supply will only work when the engine is switched on. The fresh water tank is full and the leisure batteries are fully charged but the pump just makes a gentle hum when I turn on the tap. However when I turn the engine on and try the tap the pump engages and water flows from the tap. This suggests to me an electrical fault and I wondered if anyone else had encountered anything similar? The control panel is definitely working correctly because other electrical items like the fridge and lights are working when the engine is off. Very confused

Hi, My T5 has developed a strange problem. The pump and water supply will only work when the engine is switched on. The fresh water tank is full and the leisure batteries are fully charged but the pump just makes a gentle hum when I turn on the tap. However when I turn the engine on and try the tap the pump engages and water flows from the tap. This suggests to me an electrical fault and I wondered if anyone else had encountered anything similar? The control panel is definitely working correctly because other electrical items like the fridge and lights are working when the engine is off. Very confused
I have never heard of this, ever.
Does the water pump make a noise with the tap On?
If you leave the tap On, what happens if you just switch the Ignition On , without engine start?
If you have the Engine running, Open the tap so water is flowing and leave the water running while switching Off the engine. What happens?

How about when you are on hook up?
And what voltage does the display, when not on hookup?
My first thought would be leisure battery.

I have never heard of this, ever.
Does the water pump make a noise with the tap On?
If you leave the tap On, what happens if you just switch the Ignition On , without engine start?
If you have the Engine running, Open the tap so water is flowing and leave the water running while switching Off the engine. What happens?
I will try this

I will try this
When I turn the engine off and remove the key the pump and tap continue to work. If I then turn the tap off them=n the pump does not come back on.

Hi I am not sure how to read the voltage is it on the display panel. I will look and try the hook up suggestion tomorrow thanks
Yes, it’s on the control panel, you need to select “battery status” in the display menu.

When I turn the engine off and remove the key the pump and tap continue to work. If I then turn the tap off them=n the pump does not come back on.
It sounds increasingly as if the Leisure Batteries are not charged. How do you know they are Fully Charged?

Yes, it’s on the control panel, you need to select “battery status” in the display menu.
The leisure battery is reading 12.5 volts and
Thanks will try this
the battery reads 12.5 volts and 90 % charged. The tap will not work with the electric hook up either and the fridge is working. I don’t think it is the battery

Could it be the tap micro switch?
Possibly. If the microswitch is causing a high resistance then possibly insufficient current is passing to the pump. When the engine is On then the Leisure Circuit Voltage May be high enough to allow sufficient current to flow.

The leisure battery is reading 12.5 volts and

the battery reads 12.5 volts and 90 % charged. The tap will not work with the electric hook up either and the fridge is working. I don’t think it is the battery
Check whether the tap microswitch is faulty as follows.

R hand kitchen cupboard. Remove cutlery draw. At the back of the sink feel for the water pipe to the tap. You should also be able to feel the wires from the tap. Follow the wires until you find a plug/socket, normally covered in some foam wrapping, often this is jammed up on the R hand side of the sink. Peel back the foam and undo the Plug/socket ( squeeze and pull ). Switch On the tap. On the Socket ( the bit not connected to the wire going to the tap ) use a paper clip to bridge the contacts. Does the pump run? If Yes then you can either dismantle the tap to clean the switch or replace whole tap assembly.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. In the end I had the tap changed and it all seems to work now.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. In the end I had the tap changed and it all seems to work now.
Sounds as if it was a failing tap microswitch. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. It helps next time someone has a similar problem. :thanks

Thanks all for advice on Micro Switch. Just managed to replace mine ending years of frustration with intermittent water supply

Back