Lalala

Lalala

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our water pump is not working.
Checked diagnostic codes - no error
I can hear the microswitch click on
On another thread I read to try blowing down the tap with the tap open - and amazingly the pump started and water started flowing
But now it's stopped again and the blowing down the tap is not working either

any further advice?

Many thanks in advance

or advice on getting into the actual pump to see if we can fix it

Our water pump is not working.
Checked diagnostic codes - no error
I can hear the microswitch click on
On another thread I read to try blowing down the tap with the tap open - and amazingly the pump started and water started flowing
But now it's stopped again and the blowing down the tap is not working either

any further advice?

Many thanks in advance
Most likely pump needs replacing, but first.
Check 5 amp fuse under front passenger seat. Turn seat 90o and slide towards kitchen for access.

Also, remove cutlery draw, follow wires from tap base to a connector, covered in foam wrap, normally pushed on R side of sink. Disconnect and short the connectors in the socket not connected to tap. No pump noise - replace pump.
Pump noise - replace tap or clean microswitch in tap.

The fact that all the electrics started when I first blew down the tap make me think it's not electics and it's mechanical i.e the pump? Where is the actual pump located and is it easy to change ? or do I need to go to VW - we are not in warranty anymore

The fact that all the electrics started when I first blew down the tap make me think it's not electics and it's mechanical i.e the pump? Where is the actual pump located and is it easy to change ? or do I need to go to VW - we are not in warranty anymore
Open rear wardrobe door, locate gas locker and look forward. Water tank cover, big circular white disk with water pipe and wires in centre. Remove cover, it unscrews and is tight. You can make a tool to help. See Forum shop if you prefer to buy one. Any submersible caravan water pump will do. Forum shop sells them or eBay.

Ok. So a few days into this And whether the tap works seem to be a lucky dip. Sometimes it just comes on. If it’s been left a while Sometimes it makes a noise , splutters a bit and then grinds to halt and is dead . Leave it 5 mins and then sometimes it comes on again. I’m mystified as clearly the pump works and the fuse is fine as sometimes it comes on. I hear the tap click so don’t think it’s the micro switch either . Any ideas ? VW want £70 just to diagnose the issue

we live in a hard water area and am wondering if system needs de scaling

Check 5 amp fuse under front passenger seat. Turn seat 90o and slide towards kitchen for access.

Also, remove cutlery draw, follow wires from tap base to a connector, covered in foam wrap, normally pushed on R side of sink. Disconnect and short the connectors in the socket not connected to tap. No pump noise - replace pump.

Listen to this gentleman, this is how you do it. You need to do that! It doesn’t matter what kind of symptoms you have, you still need to do those three simple things to know what to do next. We can guide you through a pump change or whatever.
You say your micro switch is clicking, but it could still not let current go through.
It could be the micro switch or the pump. If it is the switch consider to install a relay and use the micro switch to control the relay...

Hi WelshGas

Please could you describe how to access and clean microswitch in tap?
Many thanks

Hi WelshGas

Please could you describe how to access and clean microswitch in tap?
Many thanks
Hi,
Never had to do it myself, but this might help.

Hello all,
Well our 6.1 Cali is in a VW garage in Alicante as our fresh water tap pump packed up on our road trip to Spain! Only

...only 17months old,come on VW what is going on?Not much use? However,fully recommebd 4 years extended warranty and VW Roadside Assistance.They have been great taxi to Avis car hire and they are managing the repair at VW garage! We still love our Cali but warranty issues are continuing...so we are pleased we have the cover!

The pump just stopped working ,full tank of water on board,and the head up display said go to garage for repair basically!
Hopefully the new pump will arrive in good time as we have a lorry strike in Spain...

For everyone having issues with their water in their California, I've put together a guide to help identify which issue you are actually having (I've had 3 different ones so far).

https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I intend to expand this with detailed step-by-step guides on how to fix each of them, including how to replace the water pump. So, do drop by the article and show some support if you are interested in any of them. I'll probably start with the one that people need the most.

Cheers!

@michaelj70 made a question in market place https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-cali-accessories-in-eu.45244/ about where to purchase a new pump in EU. Can't reply there so replying here instead...

I recently got a new water pump from Spanish ebay-seller "Ciudad Camper" who shipped it through some channel from the Netherlands and had both 16l/min / 0,65bar and 22l/min / 1,1bar versions listed at that time but obviously just out of stock at the moment. Searching for "Comet VIP Plus" should do the trick. At least there seems to be one option from Italy, https://www.ebay.de/itm/384870234066

Another EU-based supplier I've used for some goods is Fritz Berger in Germany who has also listed these but unfortunately don't have stock at the moment either https://www.fritz-berger.com/item/comet-vip-plus-immersion-pump-99506

Such a bulk product that would be surprising if there's no camper shop in France who could deliver these within short time and at reasonable cost.

OK, for any one browsing this thread in search for a guide on how to replace the water pump, here's a guide I've put together after replacing mine:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/how-to-replace-the-vw-california-water-pump-b8ec3aac2868

If you are not sure if you need to replace your water pump or not, you can use this other article to determine what problem is affecting your van:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps!
Rather than post the same thing in so many places… can you maybe just link to it in the other posts? There are going to have threads all over the place on the same issue otherwise which will not help future users.

Back