Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water penetration

Kingsley

Kingsley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I have just discovered I have water penetration around the control panel on 2018 T6 Ocean. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried the search function but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Hi I have just discovered I have water penetration around the control panel on 2018 T6 Ocean. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried the search function but it doesn’t seem to be working.
Have you checked that both front roof drains are clear?

I will do as soon as it stops raining here. Do you think that’s the likely cause? Thanks for the help.

I will do as soon as it stops raining here. Do you think that’s the likely cause? Thanks for the help.
The roof drain opening is close to where the hydraulic tubes/wires enter the vehicle roof space. They should be sealed with sealant, BUT if the roof drain is blocked and the sealant imperfect then water can pool/build up and seep through the sealant towards the hydraulic pump and Control Panel.

I would say drains are the first thing to check. If they are blocked be careful when cleaning as the tube that runs down the A pillar can be dislodge. Also worth checking that the “grommet “ that is part of the drain has a watertight seal between it and the roof.
If the roof panel above the screen has been replaced due to corrosion that would be another possibility.

The roof drain opening is close to where the hydraulic tubes/wires enter the vehicle roof space. They should be sealed with sealant, BUT if the roof drain is blocked and the sealant imperfect then water can pool/build up and seep through the sealant towards the hydraulic pump and Control Panel.
Thanks WelshGas what would be best sealant to use if that is the cause?

Thanks WelshGas what would be best sealant to use if that is the cause?
Any waterproof sealant would do, but the main think is making sure the roof drain is patent and doing its job.
DO NOT poke anything down the drain as it is easy to damage. Use a syringe to blow air/water . Water should drain out in the wheel arch.

Any waterproof sealant would do, but the main think is making sure the roof drain is patent and doing its job.
DO NOT poke anything down the drain as it is easy to damage. Use a syringe to blow air/water . Water should drain out in the wheel arch.
I used a black auto sealant from Halfords …. Worked a treat.

Did you remove the old sealant first? I was thinking of using Sika Sikaflex.
No I only needed to seal the join between the grommet and the face of the roof (front cap) I didn’t touch the existing sealant around the hydraulic.Unless the existing sealant is looking damaged I would leave it be.As I recall it’s a fairly solid material and might not respond well to being messed with!

Last edited:
Back