Water in boot??

• Thread starter California Dreamer
  • Start date
California Dreamer

California Dreamer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi advice wanted 2022 coast please - we have had water appear a couple of times in the same place - around bottom of (not inside) gas cupboard in the boot. No water in wardrobe or under sink and nothing on or above the tailgate.it’s not condensation and water tanks are empty. I’ve read lots of other threads on water ingress but none seem to explain why water would be here. Van parked level and it’s only wet on the back half of boot on left hand side. Any one else had this or can offer a fix? Thanks!
52df41a8610c58614cdb9c1a3d2b580b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi advice wanted 2022 coast please - we have had water appear a couple of times in the same place - around bottom of (not inside) gas cupboard in the boot. No water in wardrobe or under sink and nothing on or above the tailgate.it’s not condensation and water tanks are empty. I’ve read lots of other threads on water ingress but none seem to explain why water would be here. Van parked level and it’s only wet on the back half of boot on left hand side. Any one else had this or can offer a fix? Thanks!

Does it occur after emptying the water tank?
If you open the gas locker and look down the gas vent in the base, the hole with a bar across it.
Is the hole clear or is there a partial obstruction?

I will check that out thanks

Update - seems water coming in from rain not tank but cannot fathom where from as tailgate and roof insides are dry. Looks like trip to dealer unfortunately…

Hi we’ve worked out that our tailgate water ingress is definitely from heavy rainfall and not coming in via the top seal, so I’m guessing it must be a leak from the brake light. Has anyone had a successful fix done on this - van under warranty so will go to dealer. Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

Hi we’ve worked out that our tailgate water ingress is definitely from heavy rainfall and not coming in via the top seal, so I’m guessing it must be a leak from the brake light. Has anyone had a successful fix done on this - van under warranty so will go to dealer. Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

I had the same problem, but out of warranty. They replaced the tailgate brake light: €136.

This is my water ingress. MY23 Coast. Not brake light. More likely tailgate seal and the drips appear along the length of the trimleak.jpg. Def not as much as yours though and only appears when it rains.

If its brake light & that sort of quantity of water you would expect the chairs & bag for them to be soaking wet & you would have water dripping from the bootlid if you partially opened it.

I would be thinking its the kitchen window leaking & water is running under the flooring etc to get to the back.

Other suspects would be the front roof drains / windscreen leaking & water running under the carpets & flooring & poping up at the back - have a good feel under the front mats & have a feel under the dashboard.

I’ve had similar issues with m

I’ve had similar issues with my 2022 Ocean, although not the same amount of water. Mine has been similar to Corradobrit’s photos, droplets of rain at the top which drip down. First trip to dealer high level brake light was replaced but leak continued. Second trip the dealer was unable to replicate the problem but leak continued with heavy rain. Third trip to the dealer the rear tailgate window was removed, refitted and sealed. Currently awaiting a heavy downpour to see if the issues has been fixed. Good luck with yours.

I’ve had similar issues with m

I’ve had similar issues with my 2022 Ocean, although not the same amount of water. Mine has been similar to Corradobrit’s photos, droplets of rain at the top which drip down. First trip to dealer high level brake light was replaced but leak continued. Second trip the dealer was unable to replicate the problem but leak continued with heavy rain. Third trip to the dealer the rear tailgate window was removed, refitted and sealed. Currently awaiting a heavy downpour to see if the issues has been fixed. Good luck with yours.

Good luck to you too! When we first got the van I noticed droplets at the top and (following advice on this forum) checked the seal along the top and this has never happened again. Yesterday after a downpour I went out immediately and the top/seal were bone dry but water had still collected at the bottom. I’m going to try suggestions above to check other possibilities before taking to dealer and getting work done that may be unnecessary. Thanks all for the helpful comments :)

If its brake light & that sort of quantity of water you would expect the chairs & bag for them to be soaking wet & you would have water dripping from the bootlid if you partially opened it.

I would be thinking its the kitchen window leaking & water is running under the flooring etc to get to the back.

Other suspects would be the front roof drains / windscreen leaking & water running under the carpets & flooring & poping up at the back - have a good feel under the front mats & have a feel under the dashboard.

Thank you, I think I’ve checked and established there’s nothing amiss at the front or with drains but will definitely investigate the window more closely as my hunch is it’s coming from underneath somehow. Thank you!

Just an update on this in case anyone else has had the same issue - our van has been thoroughly water tested at the dealer and no leaks have been found - so the source of the rain ingress is still a mystery. Window drains all working fine. As it’s only in one corner of the boot and is intermittent we are going to live with it and put a tea towel there! Not ideal but preferable to speculatively taking bits of the van apart.

Just an update on this in case anyone else has had the same issue - our van has been thoroughly water tested at the dealer and no leaks have been found - so the source of the rain ingress is still a mystery. Window drains all working fine. As it’s only in one corner of the boot and is intermittent we are going to live with it and put a tea towel there! Not ideal but preferable to speculatively taking bits of the van apart.

Just a thought, do you get the water after draining the water tank?

so the source of the rain ingress is still a mystery. Window drains all working fine. As it’s only in one corner of the boot and is intermittent we are going to live with it and put a tea towel there!
Obscure things to think about:
Split hose for rear window washer - spraying water into that area?
Could it be water retained in the bootlid that then runs out into the van when the boot is opened.
Anyone know where the condensate for the rear Air con drains to? I would have thought it goes into rear drivers side wheel arch, but couldn't be sure.

If all the water is outside the wardrobe/ cupboards, I'm inclined to think that the leak is actually on the drivers side & tracking across.

Just a thought, do you get the water after draining the water tank?

No it’s not connected - only happens after heavy rain - but not always! I will continue with my own detective work but luckily it’s not a major issue. At least the bellows are watertight :)

Obscure things to think about:
Split hose for rear window washer - spraying water into that area?
Could it be water retained in the bootlid that then runs out into the van when the boot is opened.
Anyone know where the condensate for the rear Air con drains to? I would have thought it goes into rear drivers side wheel arch, but couldn't be sure.

If all the water is outside the wardrobe/ cupboards, I'm inclined to think that the leak is actually on the drivers side & tracking across.

It’s definitely rain related and everywhere apart from this corner is bone dry. Bit annoying but a minor issue really considering how amazing the van is overall!

It’s definitely rain related and everywhere apart from this corner is bone dry. Bit annoying but a minor issue really considering how amazing the van is overall!

Could it be entering through one of the grommets in the tailgate? Is the inside of the tailgate seal dry?

Could it be entering through one of the grommets in the tailgate? Is the inside of the tailgate seal dry?

Yes the tailgate is dry. I’m pretty sure it’s coming from under the cupboard but no idea how it’s getting in.

After much head scratching by us and the vw van centre this rear water ingress has stopped happening just as suddenly as it started. I’m guessing it can only have been the seal somewhere and it has now moved back to the right place. Fingers crossed!

Did you ever find the source or solution? I have had the same problem and eventually discovered that when I was running the tap in the kitchen, water was coming out of the shower connection point (without me initially realising - I would just find water in the boot area). It was because when I unplugged the shower cable, the connection point valve mechanism had not clicked shut.

Now when I disconnect the shower, I briefly switch the pump on to make sure water is not coming out. If it is I give the connection point a bit of a wiggle with my fingers to get it to snap shut. Seems to get stuck sometimes.

Did you ever find the source or solution? I have had the same problem and eventually discovered that when I was running the tap in the kitchen, water was coming out of the shower connection point (without me initially realising - I would just find water in the boot area). It was because when I unplugged the shower cable, the connection point valve mechanism had not clicked shut.

Now when I disconnect the shower, I briefly switch the pump on to make sure water is not coming out. If it is I give the connection point a bit of a wiggle with my fingers to get it to snap shut. Seems to get stuck sometimes.

Hi no we never found out exactly what was happening but pleased it stopped and hasn’t come back despite all the heavy downpours this autumn! We don’t have the shower so it’s not that. Glad you found the source of the problem!

So, we picked up our Ocean 6.1, an early 2023 this week & after a huge downpour, seem to have a similar problem with water ingress in the boot, around the base of the cupboard that houses the gas bottle. Any suggestions or similar experience would be really appreciated.
Hi no we never found out exactly what was happening but pleased it stopped and hasn’t come back despite all the heavy downpours this autumn! We don’t have the shower so it’s not that. Glad you found the source of the problem!

20240222_141644.jpg20240222_141644.jpg20240222_142752.jpg

20240222_141657.jpg

Back