Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Watch this space...

DanP

DanP

I am in the process of setting up my new business here in the Costa del Sol.
I would be really grateful for your cooperation in a little market research (not too much as I tend to be a READY, FIRE, AIM ;) sort of bloke)

I'm sure many of you have visited France, even Northern Spain in your Calis. But how many of you have travelled down to Southern Spain (clocking up substantial mileage in the process).

I'm interested to know how many owners would be interested in leaving your Cali at home, catching a cheap flight to beautiful and sunny Andalusia (Malaga Airport), where you would met and handed the keys to one of our new DSG or manual Comfortline or Beach Cali's.

I would programme into the GPS a well researched route with safe camp stops/sites for the type of holiday that appeals (beach, national parks, lakes etc), so you can spend less time planning and more time taking in your spectacular location.

I like the idea of existing Cali owners renting my vehicles because I know you guys would look after my brand new fleet, and that your feedback would be constructive and based on experience and knowledge. This would provide me with invaluable insight and allow me to more effectively establish and expand my business throughout the South of Spain.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF WHY

I have been an Aerial Photographer in Andalusia for the past 7 years and I still never fail to appreciate the stunning beauty and diversity of this area. It always amazes me how you can be skiing in the morning at 11500ft in the beautiful Sierra Nevada and sun bathing in 27 degrees in the afternoon!

But most of all, I am here and will remain here because of 300 days of sunshine per year.

This is Camper Van Heaven.

My work is quite solitary (ask my wife and daughter :sad ) as my aircraft of choice for my style of photography is a single seat Paramotor, and for quite a while now I have had a growing longing to find a way to share my wonderful home, the way that I experience it (in my Cali not the air, although those brave enough.....).

My Eureka moment actually came whilst reading through this section for the first time a while ago, and the idea just grew from strength to strength in no time.

So, please, if you have any thoughts, don't leave it at that, type away :thumb All feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daniel
http://www.air2ground.es
(+34) 671 889 034

Oops?

It's just occurred to me that I have posted without thinking about whether or not I might upset anybody. I truly hope I haven't stepped on anybody's toes, certainly that couldn't have been further from my mind.

My intention here is just to help increase the scope of the VW Cali owners experiences.

I'm not sure why, but I am unable to read any of the private messages that I am receiving.

If I have unknowingly walked all over someone with my clodhoppers, or just need to contact me and you are trying to tell me in a private message, you can email me directly at:
posnermail@+++++.com

Cheers

Daniel

You need to be a VIP member to send and receive PM's. For what its worth I think its a great idea.

Hi there

In the past we've flown to Malaga and hired motorbikes to explore that part of Spain.
We haven't spent all this money on a Cali to leave it at home, so wouldn't be of interest to us. It would be of interest to non Cali owning people I imagine.
Hope this helps and good luck with the project :D

david white said:
You need to be a VIP member to send and receive PM's. For what its worth I think its a great idea.
Ah, thanks David that makes sense.

Just gone VIP :D

Cheers

snowy55 said:
Hi there

In the past we've flown to Malaga and hired motorbikes to explore that part of Spain.
We haven't spent all this money on a Cali to leave it at home, so wouldn't be of interest to us. It would be of interest to non Cali owning people I imagine.

Thanks Snowy55. Yes that did help and I'm sort of wondering why I hadn't thought of it from that angle :doh

I wish you well. I think it gives a good option if you don't want to drive down my wife doesn't
Drive and its a long way for me to drive.

2Tapps said:
I wish you well. I think it gives a good option if you don't want to drive down my wife doesn't
Drive and its a long way for me to drive.
Thanks 2Tapps.
I can definitely testify that it's a long drive, especially if you choose the long way through France as we did :eek:

DanP said:
snowy55 said:
Hi there

Thanks Snowy55. Yes that did help and I'm sort of wondering why I hadn't thought of it from that angle :doh

Hi Dan,

I suspect that Snowy's comment is going to be a common response from the likes of us.

I would think you may be better aiming your idea at folk from a more distant part. We bought our ex-hire Cali from a company in the UK who hired them out to Australians in the main. Would deliver and collect from the airport and had no idea where the vans went in between times.
Admittedly Australians do like to travel around Europe a lot. But there must be folk who would want to do the same in Spain. South Americans maybe?

Is the Cali the right vehicle for this venture? As good as it is, it is mighty expensive. Maybe a cheaper campervan would do the job just as well and be more cost effective.

Business head has to be firmly in charge at this stage. Lots to consider.

Alan

Hi Alan.
Thanks for your comments, I definitely agree with your assessment. However, I'm going to be directing my marketing and evolving brand at at least a dozen different groups and types of people both in Spain and Northern Europe. I would only aim for maximum of between 2 and 5 % of my customers to be existing Cali owners from the UK. i.e.those wish to discover a new area (especially during our gloriously sunny winters), and do not wish to drive the long distance, or have a lack of available travel time, those who wish to save money (ferry, fuel etc), and those who would like to avoid excessive mileage and wear and tear on their own machine.
Australians...hmm, hadn't thought of that bunch of addicted travellers ;)

As for whether or not the Cali is right for the job. I'm sorry I'm probably not being a very good businessman here, but I simply cannot disconnect my heart. I love these machines. To hell with the price of them :lol: (I can hear you saying - A fool and his money......)

Cheers

Dan

I would have thought the Cali would be perfect. If the EU spec vans hold their value as well as the UK ones, I would have thought that even if you pay full retail, your hire costs would more than cover the depreciation and make you a few quid/Euros.

Without doing the maths I would have thought keep it for 2 years and move it on, then repeat.

BMVS, in the UK, appear to run theirs for a year or so and move them on - I don't imaging they are doing it for charity :D

If you do it a few times and get a good relationship with your VW dealer I imagine you can sell the van for not much less than you pay????

Again we love our Cali, but if we are going to get on a plane we would probably want a hotel at the end - just for a complete change.

However when I get a chance to book off more than one week we will be off to spain for a lap :)

I don't think there are any other spain based Cali rentals on the forum, so I don't imagine any toes being trodden on :thumb

T

teeboy said:
I would have thought the Cali would be perfect. If the EU spec vans hold their value as well as the UK ones, I would have thought that even if you pay full retail, your hire costs would more than cover the depreciation and make you a few quid/Euros.

Without doing the maths I would have thought keep it for 2 years and move it on, then repeat.

BMVS, in the UK, appear to run theirs for a year or so and move them on - I don't imaging they are doing it for charity :D

If you do it a few times and get a good relationship with your VW dealer I imagine you can sell the van for not much less than you pay????

Again we love our Cali, but if we are going to get on a plane we would probably want a hotel at the end - just for a complete change.

However when I get a chance to book off more than one week we will be off to spain for a lap :)

I don't think there are any other spain based Cali rentals on the forum, so I don't imagine any toes being trodden on :thumb

T

Hi Teeboy.
Thanks for your comments. Privately sold 2nd hand Calis over here command a great price. I am planning to keep for 2 years, then move them on.

I can't imagine the logistics of changing all the vehicles every 12 months, but as you say BMVS must have a method behind their madness ;), and if I can manage to gain a great reputation and growth rate similar to theirs, then I'll be a happy camper (hirer)
Dan