Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wardrobe tambour door-broke it

P

Polomint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was pulling the tambour door shut yesterday when the front portion came off in my hand, cannot seem to get the piece back into the slider rails, any helpful suggestions please.

ED1C06AD-028B-493C-B31B-4EEB1C9A2AD8.jpeg

1E4602E1-57F1-4B70-A388-E64BE949E1CC.jpeg

I dont have an Ocean, but would try undoing the recessed bolt in the 2nd photo, looks like the plastic end cap can then be removed. If so, then you should be able to slide the piece back into place & then screw the plastc piece back on?

Must be the time of year. Repaired mine at the weekend. Remove both the end caps and internal shelves and extract the door. End caps can only go one way so don't worry about top and bottom

I used duct tape and went along the original tape lines and also vertically, picking up the two sections. Not 100% suitable because of the stretch but will do for the time being until i find another product.

When I get to a screwdriver I will update on progress. Might try gorilla tape.

Remove top and bottom end caps. Slide out the rest of the door. Fold it inwards as you pull it out like sort of roll it up . Tape it together with gorilla tape. Lube the runners with silicon spray and slide it all back in. Replace caps should be good

This is a common problem and I remember reading on this forum that the recommended repair tape is filament tape .. shown in pic. I have some and it works very well indeed. when the weather is hot, the supplied tape peels off and this is what you use to put it all back together again.

0FBF6205-47AF-4EB5-ADE5-12D7874A81C9.png

This is a common problem and I remember reading on this forum that the recommended repair tape is filament tape .. shown in pic. I have some and it works very well indeed. when the weather is hot, the supplied tape peels off and this is what you use to put it all back together again.

View attachment 95740
I am on my second replaced door and now too scared to shut it!! Thanks for this I will get a roll ordered for a belt and braces approach!!

Like many others, we have had issues with both tambour doors breaking apart, and have tried many things to fix them......

I replaced the wardrobe door with complete replacement. Cost was about £220. I have kept the old parts as a spare, now reassembled and reinforced with the reinforced tape detailed below.

The rear cupboard door split apart at one of the seams. I used super glue and duct tape. But this only lasted 1 season.

Having tried different duct tape brands, I came to the conclusion that this type is not ideal when the joints are continually being expanded and contracted through careful opening and closing. Whereas the original VW clear and reinforced tape did. So after some searching I have found this tape and it works a treat.

Last edited:
Like many others, we have had issues with both tambour doors breaking apart, and have tried many things to fix them......

I replaced the wardrobe door with complete replacement. Cost was about £220. I have kept the old parts as a spare, now reassembled and reinforced with the final tape below.

The rear cupboard door split apart at one of the seams. I used super glue and duct tape. But this only lasted 1 season.

Having tried different duct tape brands, I came to the conclusion that this type is not ideal when the joints are continually being expanded and contracted through careful opening and closing. Whereas the original VW clear and reinforced tape did. So after some searching I have found this tape and it works a treat.

Silicone spray in the runners helps.

I was pulling the tambour door shut yesterday when the front portion came off in my hand, cannot seem to get the piece back into the slider rails, any helpful suggestions please.

View attachment 95571

View attachment 95572
This happened to us a few weeks ago with the door next to the fridge in our VW Icean. Husband unscrewed the fittings and slid it back in place. So far it’s still working ok. He did say it’s not and easy space to work in. Hope this helps .

A tip: these doors are really fragile. We ‘reinforced’ them with duct tape on the inside. Has held well for years, now!
Ours is either as fitted or has been reinforced with tape that has threads in it which seems really effective. Like the idea of silicone spray mentioned above by several commenters as ours is very stiff on our new van (nee to us) and having rented ocean Calis before Id say this is a perennial issue!!

Ours broke during lockdown and we couldn’t get it fixed under guarantee so I taped it back.

It was still really stiff, so, having no other option plus the luxury of time I looked into the runner and sure enough there was a enough fluff and gunk to stop it running at all let alone smoothly. It only took a couple of minutes with a few ear buds soaked in GT85 to clear it out and it ran like a dream. That reminds me, it needs doing again now.

Thanks for the tips.

Will get some silicon spray and tape as I have experienced the same before in our Cali.
The one in our kitchen at home broke too. We used duct tape and it seems to have held (so far).

Update.
Crossweave tape arrived, took of end pieces and easily slid the handle piece back in. Added 4 lines of tape all the way across the tambour door. Seems quite a good strong fix. Will source some silicone spray and use on both doors.
Thank you all for your areas and know how.

Ideas not areas should use glasses
Update.
Crossweave tape arrived, took of end pieces and easily slid the handle piece back in. Added 4 lines of tape all the way across the tambour door. Seems quite a good strong fix. Will source some silicone spray and use on both doors.
Thank you all for your areas and know how.
I used the silicone spray and it makes such a difference to the movement. I have yet to use the tape…..job for the weekend!