Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waeco Fridge Size?

Batmobile

Batmobile

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
I have a Beach on order and I have been looking at Waeco fridges. Can anyone give advise or comment on the size of fridge that would be recommended?

I have seen 35, 40 and 50L fridges all looking quite close in terms of cost and I am wondering if the larger ones are too big, won't fit nicely etc.

Any thoughts?

Depends on which Beach and where it needs to go. Generally they don't fit under the bed bench board on the two seater bench beaches. The CF-40 will fit between the side cupboard and passenger seat on the 2 seater and can be left there when the bed is down. With the three seater bench they will fit under the flexiboard.

If you have a search there's been quite a bit of discussion on this previously and plenty of photos..

Andy

I have a CF40, happy to measure up it you want, or take any pics.

Mine fits under the multiflex board in my 3seat beach, or I fix it to the rails with bungees and eyelet rail inserts.

We also use it in the house on mains (not all of them have mains) when not in the van as a small freezer or a beer fridge. Very handy...

Thanks Matt! The 50L may even fit under the multiflex and the extra volume might be handy with my two ravenous teenage boys! If you are able to measure the vertical space under the multiflex board I should be able to compare that to the fridge dimensions on the Waeco website to see if the 50L would fit. That would help, but don't go to any trouble. My beach should arrive in Mar/Apr (3 seat bench) but I am enjoying figuring stuff out in advance!

I have a CF40, happy to measure up it you want, or take any pics.

Mine fits under the multiflex board in my 3seat beach, or I fix it to the rails with bungees and eyelet rail inserts.

We also use it in the house on mains (not all of them have mains) when not in the van as a small freezer or a beer fridge. Very handy...

I have a Beach on order and I have been looking at Waeco fridges. Can anyone give advise or comment on the size of fridge that would be recommended?

I have seen 35, 40 and 50L fridges all looking quite close in terms of cost and I am wondering if the larger ones are too big, won't fit nicely etc.

Any thoughts?
I am selling a Waeco Fridge having only used it a few times http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JCEZ1T0/?tag=eliteelect-21

It cost me over £80 but I am happy to sell for £50 - it works on electric or battery and can keep food warm or cold
  • 29 litre capacity
  • 12/230V operation
  • Cooling up to 18°C below ambient temp
  • Heating up to +65°C
  • Cable compartment integrated in lid
Also have new collapsible in their package to be sold for the same sum - £100 all in!

Hi Julian, thank you, but I think I will be going for a CF40 (or 50) when I have my Cali (April?) and I'm back in the UK. Hopefully someone else will be interested!

Apologies Ive been away in Berwick, back now will measure tonight for you. :)

Which Waeco CF Fridge fits between the front seats and has two cupholders at the front?

I recently had the same decision to make.
Stating the blindingly obvious, as space is always at a premium in a Cali the choice is always going to be a balance between finding the minimum overall external size whilst at the same time meeting your needs on capacity. The bigger the fridge the less versatile your Beach becomes.
In the end we chose a Waeco/Dometic 12/24/240 volt CFX 35 compessor fridge/freezer because for us it fits the two above mentioned criteria. There is normally only the two of us in the van but we wanted something which was big enough to cope with family outings and camping trips. The CFX 35 is more than big enough for our needs and unless you are going off into the wilds of Scotland for a prolonged period then it makes a very good compromise for us. Some get by quite happily with a smaller model and some go bigger. The thing is you only really need enough space to keep the basics cool and you can replenish daily. With the CFX 35 you'll still have plenty of room left for all sorts of other goodies as well. The Waeco/Dometic CFX 40 is about the nearest to the Ocean fridge as far as capacity is concerned and isn't that much bigger than the CFX 35 in overall external size, just a bit taller I believe.
What ever you decide you must make provision to adequately secure the fridge for transit. They are heavy when filled and could be lethal is a serious accident if not properly fastened down. We strap ours down to the floor rail system with a ratchet strap.
Finally, these compressor fridges are very efficient and effective, even more so if you bring them down to temperature indoors and fill them prior to loading. They use very little power as they are not operating all of the time. They are also very quiet. The CFX 35 will fit underneath the multiflex board on our seven seat Beach although we usually have it secured down behind the front passenger seat. It's a brilliant piece of kit and also makes a great foot stool.

Last edited:
Does the CX35 fit between front seats?
No.
However, some small capacity ones do and I am sure they are fine for keeping basic items like milk, butter and bacon cold but personally I have no experience of them.

No.
However, some small capacity ones do and I am sure they are fine for keeping basic items like milk, butter and bacon cold but personally I have no experience of them.
We need a standard definition for basic, standard and deluxe.

I propose the following:
Basic - will fit a standard bottle of wine
Standard - will fit a standard bottle of wine upright
Deluxe - will fit a magnum of Champagne.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have the 11, it just about squeezes between the front seats.

Good for milk, cheese, butter..... and all important beers...... 330ml cans store better than 330ml bottles..... BrewDog are good for “good beer, in small cans”

We also keep maybe a chopped onion and/or peppers etc.... but generally refresh these daily....

There are just 2x of us who travel, sometimes up to a month at a time and many long weekends.

If we buy lots of meat for a BBQ, the beer needs to come out..... which is a bummer.... but it doesn’t take too long to re-cool once reinserted, whilst the meat is cooking!

It’s a robust unit.... I’m 14st, and can stand on it.

Last edited:
We have the 11, it just about squeezes between the front seats.

Good for milk, cheese, butter..... and all important beers...... 330ml cans store better than 330ml bottles..... BrewDog are good for “good beer, in small cans”

We also keep maybe a chopped onion and/or peppers etc.... but generally refresh these daily....

There are just 2x if us who travel, sometimes up to a month at a time and many long weekends.

If we buy lots of meat for a BBQ, the beer needs to come out..... which is a bummer.... but it doesn’t take too long to re-cool once reinserted, whilst the meat is cooking!

It’s a robust unit.... I’m 14st, and can stand on it.
Sounds ideal and it fits into a space that can't really be used for that much else. Good access from the front seats as well. How do you secure it down?

We have the 28. It will store sufficient food for a family of four for up to four days: raw meat, milk, cheese, yoghurts, cooked meats, salad items, a beer or two, plus a bottle of wine upright. It will take two litre bottles but not when fully stocked with four days' supplies. We don't usually store fruit or vegetables in the fridge.

Sounds ideal and it fits into a space that can't really be used for that much else. Good access from the front seats as well. How do you secure it down?

Another option, whilst driving, is to position the “seat reclining wheels” over the fridge.... this prevents access to the fridge contents, but also prevents it moving upwards.... A bracket or strap could also be positioned to prevent forward/aft movement.... lots of options to secure, due to proximity of seat bases.

Last edited:
We have the 28. It will store sufficient food for a family of four for up to four days: raw meat, milk, cheese, yoghurts, cooked meats, salad items, a beer or two, plus a bottle of wine upright. It will take two litre bottles but not when fully stocked with four days' supplies. We don't usually store fruit or vegetables in the fridge.

So given your extensive experience from traveling around Europe with your family in your Beach, if you were to buy another fridge would you go bigger, smaller or has your 28 litre one been just right? You should know the answer if anyone does. Has stowage been a problem?

If our 28CFX broke tomorrow, so long as I thought it wasn't an issue that would kill another 28CFX, I'd replace it with the same model.

It is the right balance between capacity and ease of stowage. It sits nicely behind the front passenger seat. We might have to rethink when Jack needs the legroom, but for the medium term, it is perfect.

There are little sacrifices. We try to shop no more than twice a week, that means four days' food - breakfast, lunch and dinner (except bread which very often campsites sell). We drink ~1 litre of milk a day but cannot store 4 litres of fresh milk in the fridge, so we usually buy UHT which doesn't need refrigerating.

Last edited:
Back