Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW wireless internet Option - Any Good

I

iwjenkins

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi....finalising my specification for my New Cali and I am not sure if the VW Wireless Internet Option is the best way to go. I do need to stay connected (unfortunately!) so I need something that will work on or off campsites. I have my iPhone so could use my personal hotspot if I have a decent signal but would the VW Wi-Fi be better. What does it consist of..... Is it a router, is it an external aerial, is the whole van the aerial?

I am not a techy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ian

Noooooooo!!!!!?
I think the VW WiFi is very overpriced and not capable of 4G.
However, before you make any decision I would look here http://www.motorhomewifi.com and email them, very helpful, and tell them your exact requirements. They should be able to help at a fraction of the price.

I use EE Buzzard PAYG 4G cheap set up worked well around west coast Scotland last year

Thanks Welshgas and Andy...I appreciate your replies. Yes, seems very expensive. I am looking at Motorhome Wifi page now...good shout. :thumb I will check out EE Buzzard too. :thumb

Has anybody any other suggestions. Anybody had a good experience with the VW WIFI?

Thanks Ian

Hi

I have the router (demo model, so came pre-installed). It isn't something I would have ordered. It has an ariel in the roof which is supposed to get you a better signal, and it does appear to get a better signal than my cell phone generally. The installation is quite neat / tidy and it works well.

I don't believe it is 4G capable. It may take a 4G card but I don't think it can operated on 4G.

It does seem very pricey versus either connecting your ipad/iphone to the 3/4G network, or creating a personal hot-spot.

Cheers
Mark

holliers said:
Hi

I have the router (demo model, so came pre-installed). It isn't something I would have ordered. It has an ariel in the roof which is supposed to get you a better signal, and it does appear to get a better signal than my cell phone generally. The installation is quite neat / tidy and it works well.

I don't believe it is 4G capable. It may take a 4G card but I don't think it can operated on 4G.

It does seem very pricey versus either connecting your ipad/iphone to the 3/4G network, or creating a personal hot-spot.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark...good to hear from someone that has the option. I heard the same about 4G so I will be looking at alternatives. Thanks again

I have the VW WiFi - installed on a demo model. Works well and is quite a lot faster than an iPhone/iPad used inside. Out of nerdy curiosity I did a speed test and got a maximum of 6 mbits/sec (out in the countryside where the signal is generally not great). I use a 4G-capable SIM but I think the router is 3G only. Mind you there is a bit of techno-babble in the users' guide which implies (to me!) that it might work in 4G.

Is the VW WiFi you talk about somehow different from the WiFi that's built into the newer Premium Bluetooth modules...? So many options!

Well my (quite possibly incorrect!) understanding is that the WiFi and Bluetooth are separate technologies and separate options. The WiFi is very much like your home WiFi - in that you 'find' the VW network using something like an iPad, and logon using the unique pass key provided by VW for your van. The main difference between the in car WiFi and your home WiFi is that the car version communicates wirelessly over a 3G network and needs a SIM card which you the owner buy and insert into the router (which lives in the glove compartment). Bluetooth is just for communication within the van, for example between an iPhone and the RNS510 for phone, playing media etc.
I'm not sure how much the WiFi option costs (mine just came with the van) but I have used it only a couple of times in the past month and wouldn't regard it as a must-have option! I do like the Bluetooth functions in my Cali but am not sure just how 'premium' my version is.

100% agree with MCh1777. I have the same spec, from Demo. Bluetooth is excellent. WiFi good, but not a must have (I think it is a near £700 option if memory serves). The difference between them is as MCh177 7 says.

Cheers
Mark

Seems an expensive option to me, considering you can buy a mifi unit for a fraction of the cost

The "Motorhome" iBoost + active aerial, about £150, allows you to connect to free WiFi signals, campsite or the widly available Fon system from upto 2 Kms. The iBoost then re-broadcasts the signal in the van, upto 50m radius, and allows you to connect upto 10 devices. If no free WiFi then you can use a MiFi unit to connect to the cellular network and connect your iBoost or iPad directly.
However, in Europe, many campsites in out of the way places have free WiFi but due to their location poor mobile phone signals.
MiFi is good but in Europe free WiFi via the Fon system can be even better.

I have been using the Netgear MBRN3000 3G Mobile N Router. Although it does not support 4G, it has served me well, doing professional work all over Europe from my California (including the Canary Island). It provides a USB slot where you can place a USB modem, and configuration is quite easy. The price is just over £40 in Norway. :eek:) Truls
DSC_2729.jpg

I have the VW WiFi - installed on a demo model. Works well and is quite a lot faster than an iPhone/iPad used inside. Out of nerdy curiosity I did a speed test and got a maximum of 6 mbits/sec (out in the countryside where the signal is generally not great). I use a 4G-capable SIM but I think the router is 3G only. Mind you there is a bit of techno-babble in the users' guide which implies (to me!) that it might work in 4G.
I also have the unit (part of the dealer spec for demo model) but no user guide. Is it part of the large van user guide or a stand alone document? I asked the deer and they tell me VW don't have a user guide!! Thanks for any help :)

Well I could have sworn there was a user guide but I have just been out to my Cali and checked all the documents and can't find one. The only piece of information I have is a small silver sticker about half the size of a credit card which has the all important unique WLAN network key (16 characters). So the instructions I can offer are minimal: check the power light on the front of the box is off (it stays on for a while after the ignition has been switched off), insert a 3 or 4g SIM card into the slot at the front, power on (ignition key), and wait until your iPad or whatever finds the VW wifi signal, then enter the 16-digit network key. Hopefully that will work. If I come across any documentation I'll let you know.

I was right after all! There is a user guide - page 248 of the main Owners Manual - WLAN Router.

I was right after all! There is a user guide - page 248 of the main Owners Manual - WLAN Router.

Thanks....I found it the other day and had planned to reply to the thread so sorry for wasting your time! I was certain this would have been a standalone guide what with it being (I assumed) an optional extra that not many people would have taken....shows you what I know!! Now...all I need have left to do is work out how the flip to the get the aux / supplementary heating to work!!!

Back