Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Van Centres - contempt for their customers or contempt for their employers, can’t work out which one it is?

E

Ebos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
We ordered a fully loaded California in September from my local van centre, which I won’t name but which cost us a couple of thousand pounds more than if we had purchased from ‘Drive The Deal’ but with only a couple of days to go before the price rises and wanting to establish a relationship with the local dealer in case of any future problems, I thought it best to trust the human being in front of me rather than somebody I didn’t know on the phone with such a big investment of 75k. This turned out, in hindsight to be poor judgement on my part.

Since September I’ve had 2 updates which both required me to contact them first and re-contact them when they didn’t respond; it appears, they just give a damn. Can’t for the life of me, work out where this attitude comes from!
As a family we were also about to upgrade two of our existing VW’s one to a brand-new ID3 and the other to a one-year-old golf, both of which we have now dumped given our own experience and those of many on this forum with VW dealers. Instead, we have gone with more BMW’s, which we would rather have avoided but the local dealer has given us nothing but excellent service over the last fifteen years or so and we feel much better about. So that’s about 55k in total VW have lost so far by (in my experience) being completely indifferent to customers.

Our van is going in to build soon and we are anxious about the experience of dealing with this outfit during delivery, handover and afterwards, as we are losing confidence with VW As a brand.

As a young man, I had many VW’s from new including four generations of GTi golf and the experience around the brand was always positive and sparkling, something aspirational for me but now, especially with the backdrop of the emissions scandal and excuse the pun but something smells bad about this brand and my experience so far just reinforces that view.
Is this to do with the individuals that VW seem to employ, train and fail to motivate properly in selling these vehicles, or is it the culture now at the heart of the VW which extends to their dealerships, any thoughts would be appreciated.

We ordered a fully loaded California in September from my local van centre, which I won’t name but which cost us a couple of thousand pounds more than if we had purchased from ‘Drive The Deal’ but with only a couple of days to go before the price rises and wanting to establish a relationship with the local dealer in case of any future problems, I thought it best to trust the human being in front of me rather than somebody I didn’t know on the phone with such a big investment of 75k. This turned out, in hindsight to be poor judgement on my part.

Since September I’ve had 2 updates which both required me to contact them first and re-contact them when they didn’t respond; it appears, they just give a damn. Can’t for the life of me, work out where this attitude comes from!
As a family we were also about to upgrade two of our existing VW’s one to a brand-new ID3 and the other to a one-year-old golf, both of which we have now dumped given our own experience and those of many on this forum with VW dealers. Instead, we have gone with more BMW’s, which we would rather have avoided but the local dealer has given us nothing but excellent service over the last fifteen years or so and we feel much better about. So that’s about 55k in total VW have lost so far by (in my experience) being completely indifferent to customers.

Our van is going in to build soon and we are anxious about the experience of dealing with this outfit during delivery, handover and afterwards, as we are losing confidence with VW As a brand.

As a young man, I had many VW’s from new including four generations of GTi golf and the experience around the brand was always positive and sparkling, something aspirational for me but now, especially with the backdrop of the emissions scandal and excuse the pun but something smells bad about this brand and my experience so far just reinforces that view.
Is this to do with the individuals that VW seem to employ, train and fail to motivate properly in selling these vehicles, or is it the culture now at the heart of the VW which extends to their dealerships, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sad tale.
My experience is similar, after loving VW cars and converted vans in the past. Based on others unhappy views of VW Commercial I decided to go with DtD as didn't think the relationship worth £8k. I'd be interested to hear the view of one of the better dealers such as @Tomdbreeze - its telling that Breeze in Poole are willing to interact with customers on here. I suspect most van dealers are more comfortable dealing with Transporter-buying tradesmen who tick boxes rather than personal California buyers who need help to feel they understand their options properly, that they've made the right decision, and the timescales for delivery.

Sad tale.
My experience is similar, after loving VW cars and converted vans in the past. Based on others unhappy views of VW Commercial I decided to go with DtD as didn't think the relationship worth £8k. I'd be interested to hear the view of one of the better dealers such as @Tomdbreeze - its telling that Breeze in Poole are willing to interact with customers on here. I suspect most van dealers are more comfortable dealing with Transporter-buying tradesmen who tick boxes rather than personal California buyers who need help to feel they understand their options properly, that they've made the right decision, and the timescales for delivery.
Thanks Tim
This being my own personal view on this is that don’t get me wrong I didn’t get it right all the time with everybody and I do my utmost to keep all my customers happy. I think a 7-10 day turnaround to make contact with customers isn’t too bad of a turn around with updates on a factory order and as long as your telling customers there is no news they are relatively happy that you are contacting them even if with no news.
I think you are right that some dealers would rather deal with just Van customers but Not every dealership is like that.
I think a lot of it also comes down to area in the country that you buy from, we have a lot of lifestyle customers (California,Kombi and caravelle) so is a very different way of dealing with customers than just a tradesman who wants a van to do a job.

I live in a city with 2 large VW dealers, both of which are commercial integrated with consumer. I drive 40 mins further to do business with one because of the service.

One part of the VW issue is we want a California, so are stuck with one place to buy it. Choice allows us to make decisions based on other aspects such as customer service at a particular dealers.

In my experience it’s not just VW. I have not bought a variety of brands over the years and the worst offender was BMW, but that’s just my experience. Living in the Middle East makes you immune to poor service as it’s that or none.

Car sales is a franchise business and manufacturers are in part at the mercy of their dealers, and cannot always be accountable for us not getting spoilt in the way we feel we should. Unfortunately in a market like today, there is little alternative to sticking with a dealer you are unhappy with and going to the back of the order queue. Life’s too short, assume all dealers are equally crap and allow yourself to smile when good things do happen.

Last edited:
I purchased my Ocean through Liverpool in December. Throughout my 10 month build wait, not one single communication was initiated from the dealers side. I've since had a query and also sent them a mail about the factory extended warranty, and not even received the courtesy of a reply to either.
Take the money and run.
I contacted another dealer, Coventry, about the factory extended warranty, they replied saying they didn't know what I meant, I gave further info and again, no reply.
Maybe they're trained this way!

Total treachery I know but I have a HYmer Ayers Rock on order, due end May.

Almost every week the dealer has found a reason to have a conversation with me, just today had another email just to check if I wanted the optional wooden slats for the shower room. Outstanding dealer communication since October when I ordered.

Very long story short, our 6.1 took 48 weeks from order placement to delivery. Our original T6 order was written off whilst being transported from port to dealer. VW UK, utter shambles. Dealer, I had to constantly nag. The whole 11 months was just ridiculous.

Finally took delivery in July 2020. We have never owned a campervan or motorhome before but rented plenty when travelling. We are utterly in love with our Cali. As you have done already you vote with your wallet. However VW genuinely have a unique vehicle i.e. factory produced campervan. That doesn't excuse their pathetic customer care, but when you actually have the vehicle that is soon forgotten. Many times we nearly cancelled our order because we were so hacked off, so glad now we didn't.

I’ll comment on my own current experience, because thus far it has been markedly different to what you and others report. I went with a dealer direct vice DtD or AutoEbid not just because I wanted to build a relationship but also because the price agreed was better by a significant amount. Which is why I am often surprised by those who insist that DtD et al is the only way to go; it isn’t, it should be a choice based on individual factors having established the facts. Thus far I have been rewarded with communication every 1-2 weeks, even if only to say ‘ no change’, rapid turn round of any queries and patient explanation of circumstance caused by the patently complex and seemingly ‘broken’ VW factory build system despite their obvious and understandable frustration with VW themselves. On ordering I was told delivery would likely be April but that 204 builds wouldn’t start until week 8. As stands, I am told that my van will be built in April with delivery in May; so not bad given the current situation.
Of course, I haven’t taken delivery yet and I will write a full review in the appropriate section when that happens, but as stands I am extremely pleased with the dealer.
Why the difference? I agree that VW themselves seem to have a disregard for customers, you only have to engage with VW chat to realise that. So for me it‘s down to local leadership motivating their team and thus providing professional service to their customers.
I walked out of 3 different dealers when trying to buy a car for Mrs KB a year or so ago; Nissan, Ford and Skoda. None of whom even bothered to acknowledge us within 15 mins of entering the premises. There loss, not mine; the indicators were plain to see. What did she end up with? A Tiguan, because the local dealer (not the same dealer as the van) were excellent and put together a competitive package; again beating DtD et al.
So I don’t think that all dealers should be tarred with the same brush, but do have little faith in VW themselves.

Last edited:
I’ll comment on my own current experience, because thus far it has been markedly different to what you and others report. I went with a dealer direct vice DtD or AutoEbid not just because I wanted to build a relationship but also because the price agreed was better by a significant amount. Which is why I am often surprised by those who insist that DtD et al is the only way to go; it isn’t, it should be a choice based on individual factors having established the facts. Thus far I have been rewarded with communication every 1-2 weeks, even if only to say ‘ no change’, rapid turn round of any queries and patient explanation of circumstance caused by the patently complex and seemingly ‘broken’ VW factory build system despite their obvious and understandable frustration with VW themselves. On ordering I was told delivery would likely be April but that 204 builds wouldn’t start until week 8. As stands, I am told that my van will be built in April with delivery in May; so not bad given the current situation.
Of course, I haven’t taken delivery yet and I will write a full review in the appropriate section when that happens, but as stands I am extremely pleased with the dealer.
Why the difference? I agree that VW themselves seem to have a disregard for customers, you only have to engage with VW chat to realise that. So for me it‘s down to local leadership motivating their team and thus providing professional service to their customers.
I walked out of 3 different dealers when trying to buy a car for Mrs KB a year or so ago; Nissan, Ford and Skoda. None of whom even bothered to acknowledge us within 15 mins of entering the premises. There loss, not mine; the indicators were plain to see. What did she end up with? A Tiguan, because the local dealer (not the same dealer as the van) were excellent and put together a competitive package; again beating DtD et al.
So I don’t think that all dealers should be tarred with the same brush, but do have little faith in VW themselves.
Incredible to hear of your dealer deal. DTD got me c.12% discount. The 2 dealers I approached smirked and said something about demand and supply as I turned on my electronic heel

Incredible to hear of your dealer deal. DTD got me c.12% discount. The 2 dealers I approached smirked and said something about demand and supply as I turned on my electronic heel
DtD includes any finance contribution, offers etc. in their discount calculation. Which I think was just over 10% when I ordered. Dealer‘s quote allowed for finance contribution etc. on top. Got to compare apples with apples; end price to pay is the comparator, and that was well north of 1k in favour of the dealer. To be clear though, DtD wasn’t even mentioned in discussions by either side; I think that would get any dealers back up.

Back in 2012 when we bought a VW Tiguan and a VW Polo the initial experience was very similar. VW dealers couldn't care less. Here is the car leave it or take it. Negotiations about price and specifications was not possible.

Finally we found a VW dealer (a wee bit further away from us) who really showed interest. Actually the paperwork and options where done at home in my kitchen (no problem because the test drives already happened). So of course be bought the cars from this dealer.

But after the sales process comes the far longer service process. And that is were this VW dealer really fell down. So bad that I actually decided to use a different dealer. One of the VW dealer from inner city moved more towards us, just at the other end of the motorway.

The service advisor from this new VW dealer really looked after us very well, it couldn't be better. Because of this we bought the California from here (actually unplanned, just an offer of a demo model we couldn't resist). The sales person was very good and the hand over was a dream. It took over 2 hours (and easily could have taken longer, but actually my wife said let's go now).

Since then the van was several times with the new VW dealer for service or repair under warranty. Since November 2017 the service department looked after us very well. When the service advisor decided to leave we actually had a "hand over" to the new advisor (I went over on the last working day and the three of us had a chat for an hour).

With the new service advisor the super service continued. Even with Covid it takes me about an hour to collect the van from service, because we need to have a chat about cars and wrist watches etc. It doesn't mean that I will get all the work done for free or super cheap, but for a price I think is fair. The old and the new service advisor understand that a California is not a vehicle that transport people from A to B, it is so much more - it is a hobby and because of this the service has to be different.

In contrast my wife bought a Toyota Corolla Hybrid. Toyota is a good brand, love it. Technically it is fascinating how Toyota managed the hybrid part. But the sales process, the hand over of the new car and the service is awful. They do everything that needs to be done, but in a kind of unfriendly way (certainly not the Irish way). For example, my wife got the keys for the new car, we went out on the car park and after 2,5 minutes the hand over was done. I was so perplex that I didn't say a word. The next day, after I digested what happened, I wanted to go to the Toyota dealer to talk to them about this, but my wife said no.

With all that what I am trying to say, it is up to the dealer to create the relationship with the customer, not the car brand. The car brand's responsibility is to ensure that the dealer is motivated and proactively seeking the communication with the customer.

Happy serviced California
Eberhard

I rarely buy new vehicles, usually ex demos so the whole process of waiting for a delivery etc isn't one I'm very familiar with. But like Eber I also ordered a Toyota recently, from a UK dealer in December, and I'm expecting delivery some time in April.

Toyota has a system where you log into the manufacturer's website and you can see what stage your car is at in the process (not with a predicted updated delivery date, admittedly). I assume all the manufacturers have something like that? The dealer hasn't communicated with me since I placed the order, nor I with them. I'm sure I'll get a call or email when the car is nearly ready for collection.

TBH, I'm really not looking for a 'relationship' with a dealer. I just want them to take the order, get the car ready for me when it arrives (I'd LOVE that 2.5 minute handover that Eber hated!) and be prompt and efficient in dealing with any warranty issues if they come up. When I take one of our cars in to the dealership (only for warranty stuff really, I use independents for routine servicing) I cringe when the service advisor tries to engage me in a contrived, time wasting conversation about something irrelevant which I just know if a preamble to asking (yes, literally asking) for a favourable 'happy sheet' survey rating which they'll push in front of my nose as the requirement for getting given my car keys back and getting on with my day.

I guess what I'm saying here is that people's expectations do seem to vary a lot when buying a car or van. I must say I'm not sure I'd want to be in the business of selling 'lifestyle' vehicles as the demands of customers seem pretty high, even while the vehicle is still a chunk of rolled steel in Tokyo or Hannover or wherever. No wonder dealer overheads are so high.

Almost every week the dealer has found a reason to have a conversation with me, just today had another email just to check if I wanted the optional wooden slats for the shower room. Outstanding dealer communication since October when I ordered.
Hope you ordered the optional wooden slats for the shower room. Stop all those scratches.

Vehicle Forums attract people with Negative experiences regarding vehicles or Dealerships, Sales or Service.
The proportion of negative to positive experiences is always higher.
Personally, I’ve not had any problems but have with other marques in the past. Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Alfa Romeo and Citroen.
They are all as bad as each other, but a good Dealership is worth their weight in gold.

Years ago I had a problem with my motor home under warranty. It went to a Merc dealer in Coventry who dealt with commercials. The place was not very welcoming at all, I got the impression that we were an inconvenience. The moho was returned with oil stained carpets and the original problem not fixed. It took a lot of hassle and time to resolve. Bad.
A year later whilst in Spain the moho wouldn't start and was piggy-backed to a Merc dealer in Cordoba. O.K. I was a foreigner, maybe a novelty, but we were shown to a waiting area with leather loungers and free coffee. They allocated someone to the job immediately. Whilst I was waiting I read a notice giving their hourly rates, one of which was "services urgencio" (not sure of the Spanish) at rates of 130 euros/hr. I began to think that I might be seen as a source of easy money. Panic. More coffee.
The service manager came back to tell me that the battery was kaput, probably caused by a faulty glow plug. I ended up paying 200 euros for the battery, 80 euros for the glow plugs and 90 euros for one hour of mechanics time. I couldn't have been happier. The manager even suggested a site nearby. Good.
Both Mercedes dealers and left completely different impressions.

Nice choice GJ, did you opt for the pop top? Apologies for thread hijack.

I purchased my Ocean through Liverpool in December. Throughout my 10 month build wait, not one single communication was initiated from the dealers side. I've since had a query and also sent them a mail about the factory extended warranty, and not even received the courtesy of a reply to either.
Take the money and run.
I contacted another dealer, Coventry, about the factory extended warranty, they replied saying they didn't know what I meant, I gave further info and again, no reply.
Maybe they're trained this way!
Not surprised to hear this, we’ve had three extremely negative experiences with Liverpool.

Liverpool were hopeless for us too.
VW as a whole ruined our Cali dream - yes there were plenty of other reasons that made us cancel but the abysmal customer service was always a worry from the day we went to buy, at Liverpool, and got ignored, to when we decided to cancel.
We ordered another factory build vehicle at the end of January and currently it is on the ferry to the UK! The experience throughout has been chalk and cheese.

But CaliforniaChris seems like such a friendly, cuddly guy.

Thanks for the feedback so far, a very interesting set of experiences albeit from us few gnarly detractors! I Guess regardless of brand, it is basically potluck as to which local dealer you have, what their leadership and customer focus is like and ultimately the buying and after-care service we as punters get.

It’s a real pity as I think the best businesses out there do not differentiate between brand, product, service or after-care, consistent positive culture should run through seamlessly, and build long lasting brand loyalty. Still, in lean times, these ‘bottom feeder’ businesses will struggle and there owners will no doubt be pondering on what they could have done better but they will no doubt get there just deserves. I just pity the poor crew that work for these dullards that might end up paying the price for it.

But CaliforniaChris seems like such a friendly, cuddly guy.
Communication on my order has been sparse but he always replies if I get in touch, and was on the ball when the new list came out.

I can't comment on the cuddliness.

Sadly Ive not had one contact from my well recommended dealer either - even now my Cali has been sat at the dealers for 3 weeks & they never initiate contact & when I ask a question never answer it properly - I have excused some of it due to lockdowns & furlough but would have to agree with most peoples negativity about VW Customer Service being shocking.

Sadly Ive not had one contact from my well recommended dealer either - even now my Cali has been sat at the dealers for 3 weeks & they never initiate contact & when I ask a question never answer it properly - I have excused some of it due to lockdowns & furlough but would have to agree with most peoples negativity about VW Customer Service being shocking.
Sorry to ask, but why have you not collected it?

Back