Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW mobile Wi-Fi router

C

Cohny

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Help
just recently bought a GC 680 and opted for the wi-fi router. The first router was faulty so just had it replaced but I’m struggling to find a SIM that works with it. I bought an EE Pay As You Go data SIm but it wont connect the router to the internet. EE tell me that the SIM is activated and they can’t understand why it won’t connect the router. If I put the same SIM in my phone it works which stacks up with what EE told me.
I’m at a loss as to what to do, any tips appreciated!

Reactions: A&J
Help
just recently bought a GC 680 and opted for the wi-fi router. The first router was faulty so just had it replaced but I’m struggling to find a SIM that works with it. I bought an EE Pay As You Go data SIm but it wont connect the router to the internet. EE tell me that the SIM is activated and they can’t understand why it won’t connect the router. If I put the same SIM in my phone it works which stacks up with what EE told me.
I have exactly Same issue here it’s going in Thursday to hopefully be sorted, will keep you posted, if you manage to resolve please let me know.

Will

I have exactly Same issue here it’s going in Thursday to hopefully be sorted, will keep you posted, if you manage to resolve please let me know.

Will

Hi Will - mine has just been in, they found a fault on the router and changed it but it hasn’t made any difference. I‘ll let you know if I make progress ...... frustrating!

Have you set up the router? Is it the same (updated) router that VW used to offer on the Cali, i.e. made by the German company LessWire and labelled VW? Photo attached of the VW/ LessWire router I have in my T5.1

See following thread, where I set out instructions on setting that one up.

D5ED8072-DEAD-435E-BFF4-B3DE0C58F866.jpeg

Ps. It’s a really good option, at least the version in my van is. It can receive internet signal in spots where mobile phone signal cuts out (handy in the Highlands!)

Hi Will - mine has just been in, they found a fault on the router and changed it but it hasn’t made any difference. I‘ll let you know if I make progress ...... frustrating!
I re set mine to factory and started again it said I was receiving 58mb DL and 8mb UL but unable to connect to the devices it even showed how many devices were connected. It’s on a Vodafone unlimited 30 day contract, I recon its something to do with the VW server.

Sorry to say it’s good to here you have the same issue. What dealer are you at?

Last edited:
Ps. It’s a really good option, at least the version in my van is. It can receive internet signal in spots where mobile phone signal cuts out (handy in the Highlands!)
Hi thanks for that, I have done all in your previous post except the pin number as Vodafone do not have pin numbers, unsure if thats because its a 30 day renewable contract. I have spent probably 3 hours in total talking to Vodafone tec team who were incredibly helpful and very knowledgeable.

referring to Camperfamily post did you enter the pin number if you have one

Hi thanks for that, I have done all in your previous post except the pin number as Vodafone do not have pin numbers, unsure if thats because its a 30 day renewable contract. I have spent probably 3 hours in total talking to Vodafone tec team who were incredibly helpful and very knowledgeable.
Regarding the PIN, does this mean that you haven’t been able to access the configuration menu? Until you do, the router won’t be able to connect to your mobile provider.

I believe that if you’ve ever put that SIM card into a phone with a PIN, the SIM card will inherit that PIN. At least, from memory, that was the case for mine.

Sorry if i am talking rubbish but r u sure it is a data sim and not a phone sim with data. A phone sim wont work in a router. Best way to find out is put it in an ipad and if it works it is a data sim. Some phone sims will work for a while and then fall over. All this from experience. Data sims are generally more expensive with 5gb allowance per month costing upto £20.00 or as little as £12.00 whereas i get 15gb included in my phone contract but the sim wont work in my ipad.

Regarding the PIN, does this mean that you haven’t been able to access the configuration menu? Until you do, the router won’t be able to connect to your mobile provider.

I believe that if you’ve ever put that SIM card into a phone with a PIN, the SIM card will inherit that PIN. At least, from memory, that was the case for mine.
Hopefully i purchased a 30 day unlimited data sim from vodafone at a wacking £37 per month, yes tested in my wife's iphone did not enter any pin as Vodafone Tec said there is no PIN for data.

Only intending to keep contract for 6 months.

Last edited:
if the Sim is inserted in the mobile phone, and you turn on the Hotspot features in your phone, does it work? can you connect to your phone and access internet from say a laptop? if not it may be that the service doesn't allow for the sim to work as a hotspot-router

Hopefully i purchased a 30 day unlimited data sim from vodafone at a wacking £37 per month, yes tested in my wife's iphone did not enter any pin as Vodafone Tec said there is no PIN for data.

Only intending to keep contract for 6 months.

Just be wary if you take it outside the UK. If it's similar terms to the "3" monthly 'unlimited' then it won't take long to exceed the fair usage policy (mb's rather than gb's) for roaming usage which is hidden in the small print. If its only used in the UK then you wont have an issue.

Hi
My T5 Business has a wireless internet connection fitted at the factory. I could not get it to work. If it is the Lesswire one then the manufacturer is very helpful. I emailed them and the emailed back a manual. I cannot remember the email address but I do have a copy of the manual if you need a copy. I have used the device with an EE SIM card and a BT SIM card and both just worked after I plugged the SIM card in.
The factory fitted version is very good and the aerial is better than my phone aerial for picking up signal in remote locations.
regards
Pete

Hi
My T5 Business has a wireless internet connection fitted at the factory. I could not get it to work. If it is the Lesswire one then the manufacturer is very helpful. I emailed them and the emailed back a manual. I cannot remember the email address but I do have a copy of the manual if you need a copy. I have used the device with an EE SIM card and a BT SIM card and both just worked after I plugged the SIM card in.
The factory fitted version is very good and the aerial is better than my phone aerial for picking up signal in remote locations.
regards
Pete
Have had word that mine is now up and running so will let you all know tomorrow if all good.

VW confirmed there was a fault with my router. This has now been sorted out and at last it’s working - it took a while to get there but it does seem to be very good!
Pleased to hear hope mine is the same.

VW confirmed there was a fault with my router. This has now been sorted out and at last it’s working - it took a while to get there but it does seem to be very good!
I Still have connection issues can you elaborate on your connection issues, mine showes 4g with 4 bars but can’t connect to server?

Thought mine was working correctly but only works when 4 bars shows and sitting under a radio mast ? Is yours working as it should ie picking up a weaker signal. My phone on 4g works perfectly on 2 bars so why not the router.

Help
Morning, mine is still not working properly, it will work but only when it has acquired a signal strength of 4 bars on 4G. Please could you advise upon how yours is working. Have you used it much. Now changed are you pleased with its performance.
Thanks in advance

Has anyone found a SIM card that works with the router? I tried an O2 data only card and that didn’t work with it.

Has anyone found a SIM card that works with the router? I tried an O2 data only card and that didn’t work with it.
Hi Finlay mine kind of works but only on a very strong signal, that’s on a Vodafone data only sim. What are you getting out of your router?

Hi Finlay mine kind of works but only on a very strong signal, that’s on a Vodafone data only sim. What are you getting out of your router?
Thank you! Am not a techie so not sure about what I should get out of the router?