Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW don't want to sell me a California!

M

muttley

Guest User
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a California, to compare dealer experiences.

My local dealer has a pre-registered (12 plate) 140SE in the spec I want, but he refused to budge from the full retail price. Good luck with that.

Yesterday I made an offer of the drivethedeal price for a 180SE which is sitting in stock at another dealer, and they haven't bothered to call me back.

Finally, out of desperation, I called the Bristol dealership, following some recommendations on this forum. The sales staff were apparently busy, so I left my number. Needless to say they haven't called me back either.

I am ready to drive over to any dealer today and sign the paperwork for the right vehicle, but nobody wants to sell me one. I am starting to take it personally! You would think that a dealer who has a vehicle in stock at this stage of the season would want to sell it, and I don't think that offering 10% off for a stock vehicle is an insulting offer.

Simon

What are you looking for?

I'm not surprised you can't get a DTD discount on an in-stock deal as it's physical and not an order. Placing an order doesn't affect current stock which someone less demanding or Savvy will pay more money for.

I've just phoned my contact who has the following in stock and is willing to have a deal with you.

Natural Grey
Salsa Red
Silver

All 180 SE Auto(DSG) with good spec.

and also this coming in by month end -

Sand Beige - 180SE Manual, Clima/5th Seat/Awning etc

Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass on your details.

Thanks for the quick reply, it is much appreciated. I had assumed that a dealer with a vehicle in stock at the end of the season would be much more open to a deal on this, rather than on a new order.

Obviously I would quite like to have the vehicle now, so we can get out in it as soon as possible, but I am not going to pay a large premium over a factory order.

I am looking for a 140 or 180SE with the standard 'extra' spec of clima/awning/privacy/parking sensors. I would prefer a manual, but please do pass my details onto your contact as I would be happy to have a chat with him.

Thanks,
Simon

I don't think you can PM yet so you can email me (no longer required)

of course replace (at) with + cool

Edit - Email removed to avoid spam bots

Muttley,

Have you tried the VW Van Centre at Leicester? They've usually got something in stock that can be turned round fairly quickly. I bought mine from there earlier in the year with a reasonable discount on list.

I would suggest a phone call as the VW website is pretty poor. The salesman James was easy to deal with.

Oh and welcome!

I phoned the VW van centre in Leicester 6 weeks ago on a Friday. I drove up to see it the same day from London.

The following Friday I drove it away with a whole host of extras fitted. I got a good deal off where others would not move.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, it has been very useful.

I am finally getting somewhere now, and (with a bit of luck) I may just have secured a good deal on one. It would have been much easier if I had the patience to wait for a factory order...

Simon

muttley said:
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a California, to compare dealer experiences.

My local dealer has a pre-registered (12 plate) 140SE in the spec I want, but he refused to budge from the full retail price. Good luck with that.

Yesterday I made an offer of the drivethedeal price for a 180SE which is sitting in stock at another dealer, and they haven't bothered to call me back.

Finally, out of desperation, I called the Bristol dealership, following some recommendations on this forum. The sales staff were apparently busy, so I left my number. Needless to say they haven't called me back either.

I am ready to drive over to any dealer today and sign the paperwork for the right vehicle, but nobody wants to sell me one. I am starting to take it personally! You would think that a dealer who has a vehicle in stock at this stage of the season would want to sell it, and I don't think that offering 10% off for a stock vehicle is an insulting offer.

Simon

Hello Simon and welcome.

I had great service from Listers VW in Worceter, they agreed to matched the drive the deal quote, i was about to order and start my 12 week wait when they called to say that one matching my spec, colour etc had landed :smile I picked it up two weeks ago !!! and loving it.

I dealt with the head sales manager Richard, if you want contact details etc I cant sort you out no worries.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

sorry to hear about your difficulties. I feel I should add something here as its me who has recently recommended the Bristol dealer as we have just placed an order.

I should say that I have limited experience of the Bristol dealer and when I have previously been in to discuss ordering a new £50k vehicle the reception has been luke warm to say the least!

I have previously had a quote for them for a Cali spec and when challenged they would not budge at all. It is only the fact that I have presented them with a DTD quote and they have matched it that I have recommended them on here.

For us so far, they have not actually had to do anything at all in order to secure a £40k+ sale.

Some dealers are obviously better than others, to be honest we only went with the Bristol dealer because of the price match. Its handy they are local for us, but to be honest we would have ordered our Cali from Scotland if they were the only dealer to offer us a price match.

muttley said:
Thanks for all the helpful advice, it has been very useful.

I am finally getting somewhere now, and (with a bit of luck) I may just have secured a good deal on one. It would have been much easier if I had the patience to wait for a factory order...

Simon

Sounds good Simon, what have you found yourself??

Tried Bristol, couldn't be bothered to put me through to Sales or even call me back... Went to Preston instead with my pocket full of cash.

It is interesting to hear the mixed experiences. Given that the California is such a low volume, but high value vehicle, you would reasonably expect the dealers to try harder to secure your business. Good to hear that there are some very positive experiences.

Tom has offered me a good deal on a 180SE in sand beige with the 'usual' extras. My wife would prefer a blue one though, so there is also a blue 180 on the short list. I will make a decision between the two tomorrow and report back. Then the real questions will start!

Simon

Hi Simon,

I had the same experience with a couple of dealers too - so slow returning calls, if at all. I eventually purchased through the VW Van Centre in Manchester a 2 1/2 hr drive away but well worth it, they were fantastic. Great deal and superb service. The Sale Exec I dealt with was called Alan Jackson who knew everything about the Cali - give him a call I'm sure you'd be impressed.

Good luck

Richie

Finally! Ordered a blue 180 today from stock, collecting on Friday. Can't wait

Great stuff. Are you going to reveal the cooperative dealer for the benefit of others??

When is the maiden voyage?

Are you going to be joining us in organised meets in the future, the next one is probably the Christmas finale.

Now starts the hunt for accessories to fill it and i'll make a shameless plug for the excellent Mattress Topper I've just added to the For Sale section.

In the end I bought it from the local dealer in Woburn Green (High Wycombe), who finally gave me a pretty good deal. Not as good as some deals, but it was the exact colour & spec I wanted, and it was close enough.

Funnily enough, I managed to get them to throw in a mattress topper as a final sweetener!

We will certainly come to some meets - I quite fancy tagging along in the summer to visit the factory, if dates allow.

I need to start making a list now - 10m hookup lead, gas bottle, whistling kettle ... so we are ready to get away this weekend. I did see that there was a hookup lead with what looked like a European plug in the van, but I assume you can't just add an adaptor to this to make it suitable for site connection?

Simon

25m hookup, you'll soon find 10m too short.

Most sites in the UK have the blue 3 pin plugs on the HU lead.

Really nice you managed to use a local dealer. What spec did you get?

Good advice Stu!

Anyone want to buy my 10m hook up?.....

:lol:

buy another 15m one and you're got all your bases covered..

Stu said:
25m hookup, you'll soon find 10m too short.

Most sites in the UK have the blue 3 pin plugs on the HU lead.

Really nice you managed to use a local dealer. What spec did you get?

The van we hired for the weekend had a 25m hookup, but that seemed far too long. The one site we visited had a hookup point right next to the hard standing, so I assumed the 25m lead was overkill. Obviously that isn't the case, but we only have over-nighters planned for the first few trips. If the batteries can't handle that without a hookup, it would be rather disappointing.

Simon

They also recommend you unwind the lead to stop it getting hot I have two 10mtr leads
And join them if I am away from the hookup post or just use 1 if I am near :thumb

Hey Simon,

I ordered mine from Woburn Green on Sat 15 Sep, wow small world hey?

Paul