Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Customer Care say do not raise the roof with any load on it!!!!

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I asked VW Customer Care this week, ‘What is the maximum load weight that the California elevating roof can lift?’

The reply....

In relation to the question about the roof, the Technical Team reviewed the data sheet and advised that for your vehicle, the roof load limit is up to 50 kg. This is with the roof in closed position, which means that any load on the roof should be removed before it operated. There is not a figure published for maximum load of the roof whilst in operation. I have passed on feedback that the information for an owner could be more specific, especially with such a feature integral to the whole campervan and camping experience and possible consequences of improper care or operation. This has been passed to the Factory so that any clarification they feel necessary is added in the future, however Technical did say that because of the number of variables, eg position of load, weather conditions etc, it is unlikely that the Factory would release such a figure. Hopefully that doesn’t mean you have to change your plans for your trip next week and that the weather (and surf) remains good.

Kind regards

Lloyd Bailey
Customer Relations
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

Amazing! Can’t believe VW don’t have a large warning flag with a warning.
Well done on getting an answer, shame it’s not the one we wanted!

And roof bars...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Wobbly piece of alloy... not like the T4 Cali or the T3 Westy where any numbers from VW was totally ignored and roof load was dependent on how strong you are to lift it!.
It’s also useful for standing on to reach things or to get a good view.

What the rep is saying is not what is stated in VWs written documents. Quoted directly from VWs own self-education brochure on the T5 California. I also believe the same thing is stated in the operators manual:

"The roof-elevating mechanism
also works when the roof is loaded to maximum
of 50 kg."

What the rep is saying is not what is stated in VWs written documents. Quoted directly from VWs own self-education brochure on the T5 California. I also believe the same thing is stated in the operators manual:

"The roof-elevating mechanism
also works when the roof is loaded to maximum
of 50 kg."
It certainly lifts my 30 kg kayak with no issues.

I asked VW Customer Care this week, ‘What is the maximum load weight that the California elevating roof can lift?’

The reply....

In relation to the question about the roof, the Technical Team reviewed the data sheet and advised that for your vehicle, the roof load limit is up to 50 kg. This is with the roof in closed position, which means that any load on the roof should be removed before it operated. There is not a figure published for maximum load of the roof whilst in operation. I have passed on feedback that the information for an owner could be more specific, especially with such a feature integral to the whole campervan and camping experience and possible consequences of improper care or operation. This has been passed to the Factory so that any clarification they feel necessary is added in the future, however Technical did say that because of the number of variables, eg position of load, weather conditions etc, it is unlikely that the Factory would release such a figure. Hopefully that doesn’t mean you have to change your plans for your trip next week and that the weather (and surf) remains good.

Kind regards

Lloyd Bailey
Customer Relations
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk
I’m not at all suprised. A 50kg load not spread evenly when lifted could easily cause a torquing effect on the hinge and lifting mechanism. I put my beach roof up with an empty roof box on it but I’m always a bit concerned if the wind picks up!

Mine goes up fine on a T6 cali with a surf board on it which obviously is pretty light...

I’m not at all suprised. A 50kg load not spread evenly when lifted could easily cause a torquing effect on the hinge and lifting mechanism. I put my beach roof up with an empty roof box on it but I’m always a bit concerned if the wind picks up!
I am very confident that the roof mecahnism is absolutely fine lifting 50kg in a straight 'push-up'. I suspect the biggest risk is making sure whatever you have on the roof doesn't conflict with the bike rack or anything you have on the bike rack. That can do a lot of damage.
That is a good point about wind-loading which is more of less a sideways force on the roof lifting mechanism. That is an entirely different question and I have no idea how much sideways force that mechanism will take before something bends. I would bet though that the roof breaks before the van goes over. Anyone?

I am very confident that the roof mecahnism is absolutely fine lifting 50kg in a straight 'push-up'. I suspect the biggest risk is making sure whatever you have on the roof doesn't conflict with the bike rack or anything you have on the bike rack. That can do a lot of damage.
That is a good point about wind-loading which is more of less a sideways force on the roof lifting mechanism. That is an entirely different question and I have no idea how much sideways force that mechanism will take before something bends. I would bet though that the roof breaks before the van goes over. Anyone?
Side loading pretty much eliminated if you can park tail into the wind.

Another consideration is the load distribution. It should be central and more to the back than front so that each ram has an equal load.

What about snow? The California Supplement only makes ref to "In heavy snowfall.....ensure in particular that the canvas is not trapped by any mechanical components as the roof closes." This comment is interesting in that it makes the assumption snow is on the roof whilst open and that the snow can be on the roof during its closing. It makes no ref to removing the snow, no matter how deep. This comment appears to be inconsistent with what VWCS have said.

Another consideration is the load distribution. It should be central and more to the back than front so that each ram has an equal load.

Agree, load needs to be evenly spread.

On our manual Beach - If you load 2 x 10ft Hard SUP's on one side of the roof (so approx 25kgs load incl roof bars / sup carrier) and then lift the roof, the weighted side will sag on the ram, whilst the unweighted ram will lock out as intended. You can feel the roof twist slightly as you push it up, hence we will only put very light loads (ie - few surfboards) if we plan on leaving the roof up; When roof is down have loaded more than 75kgs with no issues (ie - 2 SUP, 3 surfboards + roof box. For a long trip we just take the roofbox off at the destination and use it as a storage chest).

Would guess that the hydraulic roof can take more load when lifted...but will be a real pain if it fails partway thru a trip, which might help explain why VW have changed their guidance to escape any claims.

They've gradually moved the goal posts over the years.

It was once 50kg raised and 100kg closed, then it was 50kg for both, now it's 50kg lowered.

As for why? I guess it may be flexing the panel slightly which I guess could contribute to the corrosion issue?

Often have two three surfboards on mine. 7 years will a manual Beach and never had an issue and it always stayed in the up position.
Just over two years with the Ocean, again no issues...

My biggest gripe is when the boards are on the roof at camp and I decide to surf. Means lowering the roof to grab a board, hence why I’ve always considered a bigger van...

Often have two three surfboards on mine. 7 years will a manual Beach and never had an issue and it always stayed in the up position.
Just over two years with the Ocean, again no issues...

My biggest gripe is when the boards are on the roof at camp and I decide to surf. Means lowering the roof to grab a board, hence why I’ve always considered a bigger van...
We use telescopic ladders with our ski box, work when roof is up see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-does-your-van-wear-your-board-or-skis.33108/page-2

I used to carry a set, but have slimmed down what I take. Personally, I find they take up to much space for the odd time I need them.
Often wondered about a ladder on the back tailgate which is permanently attached...

The other problem, is I always want the surfboard on the bottom of the stack. Which means they slide down when trying to grab it with the roof in the UP position:D

Its as most things these days to cover their own backsides when their roof goes wrong !

Hi, I asked local VW Customer Care today ‘What is the max. load weight for California elevating roof in closed position’. The rT6.1 California BEACH TOUR 7 vietų - ELGERTA. Vytauras, Moller.jpgeply :

Back