Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Comfort mattress too long?

JJJ

JJJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've scoured the forums but haven't found an answer so here goes.

I'm beginning to wonder whether we have the right comfort mattress for our 3 seat bench 2018 Beach.

We bought the vehicle as a seven seater and the dealer supplied a VW comfort mattress which was not included in the original vehicle specification.

I have found that when the bench is reclined to make the bed and pushed back to the multi board extension the mattress doesn't sit flat when laid out. I have to pull the seats forward, leaving a gap of about 25cm between the bed and board, to allow the deeper rear section of the mattress to drop in place. If I don't do this then the mattress won't sit flat as the deep section bridges the bed and the multiboard and the mattress overhangs the front of the bed by some way.

In short, the deeper rear section overhangs the multiflex board by about 25cm and the only way to make it fit is to pull the bench forward creating a gap across which the mattress is unsupported. Surely this can't be right?

It seems that there are different mattresses for different vehicles? Ours is made up of 3 sections but I've seen 5 section mattresses in the forums, 2 of which sit on the multiboard.

The dealer is looking into it but is currently only aware of the mattress we have as an option. I'm hoping to hear back from him soon...

The Multiflex board has a folding piece, are you sure that it is not folder? We used 2017 Beach and matress was exact length of the MF board (unfolded) plus the seat.

The folding section of the board is up. It has recesses to accomodate the raised sections in the rear seat behind the headrests but they dont meet as i have to leave a gap. Our mattress overhangs the multiflex when folded up.

For interest, can you remember how many sections your mattress had?

Sorry, don't remember how many sections... But if I remember correctly, one small thin of the sections was folding under another thin section to make it thicker and suitable for the flex board.
The mattress have zippers between the sections, so maybe some other arragement of pieces will work better?

That's interesting. Ours has only three sections, one thick, two thin and all approximately the same length.

Ours certainly had more sections of different widths and thickness. Here I found a video where exactly our mattress is shown:

mine is also three sections a thick one at the back i have the muliflex board slightly forward
from the tailgate i do have to leave a small gap of about 6 inches between the flat open seat and the muliflex board for the mattress to reach the end of the bed

thats interesting my seat doesn't slide forward in that position i have to fold down the back
first using the middle lever before it will pull forward using the left sided lever . is mine broken?

Thanks Cali. I did wonder whether I should move the multiboard forward to reduce the gap. Will have a play tonight. Our bench can be slid in both seat and bed mode.

On out test Beach the bench was also moving in both positions.

i will give it a good pull later gary lol

Our mattress mystery is solved. The dealer has replaced the 3 section mattress, which doesn't really fit (maybe it's for a Caravelle?), with a 6 section mattress which is clearly designed for the Beach as it is better in every way:
  • It's contoured to fit the seats so creates a perfectly flat bed
  • Is more compact and fits snugly in place when stored and doesn't slide around.
  • The bed can now be butted up to the multi-board so no more gap
The photo is taken end on and folded up, as stored on the multi-board. The thickest section at the base sits on the board, as well as the two vertical short sections when laid flat. The remaining three panels cover the bed.

We are very pleased. A big thank you to Oli and Josh at the West Yorkshire VW van centre for getting the replacement to us in time for our Christmas trip!

IMAG2439.jpg

Last edited:
Back