Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike rack rust

T

tomsetter

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi Everyone,
I have the genuine 4 bike carrier on the back of my van, I live close to the seaside, which I know will increase the speed of rust. I bought the rack in Autumn 2020 and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd arms have all now got significant rust on the screw. This means when I go to attach a bike they are very hard to loosen /tighten, and invariably the locking nut at the top flies off and I have to get a step ladder out to sort. Does anyone know the best place to get these replaced, I don't need the whole thing I just need the handle at the bottom and the metal arm with the screw. I have tried to remove rust with various things but nothing appears to work. From what I can see replacement costs are very high (just the 3rd arm on this site's shop is £117.99) - seems crazy with a 2.5 yr lifespan..? I've also read about copper grease, would that work? any advice much appreciated.

IMG_1843 Medium.jpeg

Hi Everyone,
I have the genuine 4 bike carrier on the back of my van, I live close to the seaside, which I know will increase the speed of rust. I bought the rack in Autumn 2020 and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd arms have all now got significant rust on the screw. This means when I go to attach a bike they are very hard to loosen /tighten, and invariably the locking nut at the top flies off and I have to get a step ladder out to sort. Does anyone know the best place to get these replaced, I don't need the whole thing I just need the handle at the bottom and the metal arm with the screw. I have tried to remove rust with various things but nothing appears to work. From what I can see replacement costs are very high (just the 3rd arm on this site's shop is £117.99) - seems crazy with a 2.5 yr lifespan..? I've also read about copper grease, would that work? any advice much appreciated.

View attachment 110288
ACF 50, liberally applied.

ACF50 would work, not sure how long it would last on the threads though as it's going to be "scoured" by the nut running up and down it. If using ACF50 I'd mask off the "grips" as it's a lubricant (not necessarily by design) as well as corrosion inhibitor, so it'll be harder to grip bike frames with.

I have ACF50 on the non-threaded section, grease on the threads. No issues after 4 years

Copper grease; Dip the ends in the pot, then spread the excess over the threads with an old cloth, then screw the knob back on. 11 years old and still works as it should.

Back