Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Very stiff electric hook-up

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Any suggestions how I might be able to make my hook-up plug easier to remove from side of my 2019 Ocean. The lead is a quality one (I think) bought from the caravan and Camping Club. I obviously push the lever down but it takes a huge amount of force to remove it and I fear if it's not made looser somehow I might damage the van, my wife can't remove the plug at all. Any help would be much appreciated

Any suggestions how I might be able to make my hook-up plug easier to remove from side of my 2019 Ocean. The lead is a quality one (I think) bought from the caravan and Camping Club. I obviously push the lever down but it takes a huge amount of force to remove it and I fear if it's not made looser somehow I might damage the van, my wife can't remove the plug at all. Any help would be much appreciated
Try spraying a cloth with some silicone and wipe it around the inside of the cable plug and the outside of the vehicle socket.

Ours has been exactly the same for 8 years and never loosened up at all.
I suppose a bit of silicone spray may help but I’m just very careful when I take the plug out.

Just make sure you're pulling at an angle and not torquing the socket creating stress. It's designed to be tight for outdoors use and prevent water ingress.

Try spraying a cloth with some silicone and wipe it around the inside of the cable plug and the outside of the vehicle socket.
Ditto, but with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care.

Thank you very much for quick reply's, amazing. Tried silicon spray but sadly no joy, tried taking it in and out 100 times but still really stiff, seems to be the metal prongs, is there anything that can be safely used to lubricate the electrical contacts (sorry for my poor technical knowledge)

Thank you very much for quick reply's, amazing. Tried silicon spray but sadly no joy, tried taking it in and out 100 times but still really stiff, seems to be the metal prongs, is there anything that can be safely used to lubricate the electrical contacts (sorry for my poor technical knowledge)
Conductive grease
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NGKJPRC/

if really bad change the female plug on the lead.
Agree with this. Found the connection to the van really tight, tho not impossible so bought a handful of plugs from Toolstation and kept the ones that worked most smoothly after trying them in the car park.

I think the issue is with the plastic shroud on the male plug having a tight fit against the female socket, rather than the conductors.
If thats the case then silicon grease should help as a long term solution. I little Fairy liquid would be a good way to test.

Worth a try which I now have as I have a wall mounted socket that is getting harder to unplug as well as the Cali end.

Quick wipe around plastic parts on plug and socket (keeping clear of pins) and instant improvement.
Just a little lube used which was easily applied with the supplied brush.

Last edited: