Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED Tax Band for your Cali

Also having a long---- wait for a VWCS response.

Thanks for this thread, Just received the first years renewal document. 12 month £220 for T6 150 Ocean manual. V5 shows 169 G/KM, 5 Seats, Motor Caravan,

Last edited:
Weeks passing now and still no response to my VWCS query.
has the Ostrich syndrome set in there?

No resolution for me either yet.

The V5 for my Ocean 150DSG registered in January shows CO2 emissions of 166g/km (Band H) rather than the 163g/km (Band G) I expected as detailed in the July 2016 brochure. After a lot of correspondence with VW they are adamant that this is a result of the options fitted to my vehicle e.g. awning, towbar and 80 litre tank. They maintain that the recent change to 166g/km in the March brochure is coincidental.

I first raised the issue with VWCS in March and received unsatisfactory explanations. As a result I endeavoured to seek hard facts from the UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA), who referred me to the the German Type Appproval Authority the KBA. Unfortunately, my question to the KBA was simply forwarded by them to VW HQ in Germany who in turn then delegated it to VW UK :headbang This did produce a phone call from VW Commercial HQ, but the discussion yielded nothing other than the hard line that the emissions figure in the brochure is the starting point of a standard specification vehicle. The options fitted to individual vehicles can increase the emissions. There was some recognition that the brochure and dealers could make the potential impact of options a bit clearer, but the bottom line was a case of tough luck :cool:

So unless someone has had a different answer, the lesson to learn is to be careful with the options you select, they may have an unexpected impact on emissions.

Last edited:
The V5 for my Ocean 150DSG registered in January shows CO2 emissions of 166g/km (Band H) rather than the 163g/km (Band G) I expected as detailed in the July 2016 brochure. After a lot of correspondence with VW they are adamant that this is a result of the options fitted to my vehicle e.g. awning, towbar and 80 litre tank. They maintain that the recent change to 166g/km in the March brochure is coincidental.

I first raised the issue with VWCS in March and received unsatisfactory explanations. As a result I endeavoured to seek hard facts from the UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA), who referred me to the the German Type Appproval Authority the KBA. Unfortunately, my question to the KBA was simply forwarded by them to VW HQ in Germany who in turn then delegated it to VW UK :headbang This did produce a phone call from VW Commercial HQ, but the discussion yielded nothing other than the hard line that the emissions figure in the brochure is the starting point of a standard specification vehicle. The options fitted to individual vehicles can increase the emissions. There was some recognition that the brochure and dealers could make the potential impact of options a bit clearer, but the bottom line was a case of tough luck :cool:

So unless someone has had a different answer the lesson to learn is to be careful with the options you select, they may have an unexpected impact on emissions.
Interesting BH. Thanks for the potted story. As a matter of interest have you looked at the VCA web site to see what they list your Cali as in the secondhand market? Complete this website link to its conclusion - 163 or 166 g/km? http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

I am still in discussion with VWCS (three different people) but thought you may wish to know the following. On page 32 of the California brochure dated July 2016 (prevailing when I ordered my Cali in August last year) there is a footnote which explains that options may affect the CO2 emissions.
I pointed out that at no point did the salesman explain this when he/she is encouraging us to load up all the goodies onto our order leaving it to the customer to discover at a later date. I have told VWCS that as far as I am concerned that in this enlightened world of environmental impact awareness (after all VW know very well the pitfalls of failing on that point) not telling the customer the impact of chosen options on the CO2 emissions is a failure of their sales process and environmental responsibilities. I have asked them to investgate which options pushed my Cali from band G to band H. They have a greed to see if this is possible. (I wonder if it could be anything to do with the fictitious 5th seat? I only need the impact to be 1g/km and we are back at band G). I am not giving up yet!
Will update later.

I am still in discussion with VWCS (three different people) but thought you may wish to know the following. On page 32 of the California brochure dated July 2016 (prevailing when I ordered my Cali in August last year) there is a footnote which explains that options may affect the CO2 emissions.
I pointed out that at no point did the salesman explain this when he/she is encouraging us to load up all the goodies onto our order leaving it to the customer to discover at a later date. I have told VWCS that as far as I am concerned that in this enlightened world of environmental impact awareness (after all VW know very well the pitfalls of failing on that point) not telling the customer the impact of chosen options on the CO2 emissions is a failure of their sales process and environmental responsibilities. I have asked them to investgate which options pushed my Cali from band G to band H. They have a greed to see if this is possible. (I wonder if it could be anything to do with the fictitious 5th seat? I only need the impact to be 1g/km and we are back at band G). I am not giving up yet!
Will update later.
Interesting. I have a towbar & awning from factory. I wonder if there is a Cali owner out there with non of these and what VED rate has been applied.
Perhaps a survey on emission figures is required. Tend to think that all 150's and 204's will have the same respective Banding.
An options based survey would only be required if there was a difference between Cali's in the same engine & gearbox group.

Interesting. I have a towbar & awning from factory. I wonder if there is a Cali owner out there with non of these and what VED rate has been applied.
Perhaps a survey on emission figures is required. Tend to think that all 150's and 204's will have the same respective Banding.
An options based survey would only be required if there was a difference between Cali's in the same engine & gearbox group.
I was given this answer by the dealer as well about accessories, I don't believe it.. We have friends with exactly the the same spec that was registered pre Dec/16 and it is at the lower 163 band. I think VW have changed the emissions for the 150 DSG regardless of options hence the offer to cancel or compensation.

I was given this answer by the dealer as well about accessories, I don't believe it.. We have friends with exactly the the same spec that was registered pre Dec/16 and it is at the lower 163 band. I think VW have changed the emissions for the 150 DSG regardless of options hence the offer to cancel or compensation.
What was the compensation offer?

This was my suspicion. I believe that only with a database showing the relationship between owners vehicles, the options fitted and the CO2 emissions shown on the V5 will we be able to prove the case one way or another. Without the evidence VW can pick us off on an individual basis.

Did anyone ever get a response from VW.
I never have had any despite repeat requests.
Small claims court looking like only option.

I was given £150 "compensation" which is 5 years of the £30 difference between VED bands and I was told to call them again in 5 years for more money if I still have the Cali.

I was given £150 "compensation" which is 5 years of the £30 difference between VED bands and I was told to call them again in 5 years for more money if I still have the Cali.

This is is fascinating in view of my own experience summarised above at post #82.

After a lengthy battle I have had with VWCS they have finally accepted they have made a mistake. Owners such as myself who took delivery around the turn of the year of a vehicle (in my case Ocean150DSG) affected by an increase in CO2 emissions, resulting in a higher than expected VED band, should have received an offer of compensation. This should have been akin to the £250 offer made to customers with vehicles on order, but not yet delivered in March (see post #63). It appears we fell down a crack in the pavement and were forgotten about.

So, if like me, you ordered after the July 2016 brochure was issued, took delivery before April, found your vehicle to be in a more expensive than expected VED band and haven't received an offer from VW, I suggest a call to VWCS may be in order.

After a lengthy battle I have had with VWCS they have finally accepted they have made a mistake. Owners such as myself who took delivery around the turn of the year of a vehicle (in my case Ocean150DSG) affected by an increase in CO2 emissions, resulting in a higher than expected VED band, should have received an offer of compensation. This should have been akin to the £250 offer made to customers with vehicles on order, but not yet delivered in March (see post #63). It appears we fell down a crack in the pavement and were forgotten about.

So, if like me, you ordered after the July 2016 brochure was issued, took delivery before April, found your vehicle to be in a more expensive than expected VED band and haven't received an offer from VW, I suggest a call to VWCS may be in order.
Wont we have to start all over again with the conversation as VWCS seem to have memories like goldfish?

Since I got no response to 3 queries I guess it's try again.

Totally different treatment from the car side.

Thanks for advice - on my priority list!

Actually managed to get a response form VWCV who requested a copy of my V5.
They couldn't find my Cali. on their system!

A few days later a phone call received.

Response being that they had checked and the VED rate discrepancy didn't apply to my vehicle.
V5 being different to the sold figure??

Basically fobbed off and told to take it up with the Dealer.
Seems they are quite happy to advertise and sell at one figure despite a higher one being submitted to the DVLA.

As directed by VWCC went back to Dealer who basically wasn't interested and couldn't understand why it was put back to them as they work to VW published/advised figures.

Brick wall syndrome it seems
VW have genuinely lost a car sale through the treatment on this issue.

Since gone back to VWCC to advise that I had gone back to Dealer who referred me back to VWCC.
Got a call back from VWCC saying to go back to dealer as it's not something VWCC deal with.
A long protracted discussion ensued where I finally got an agreement as to my complaint but no further action is being taken as it isn't something that they can deal with.

I've given up the struggle but did make it clear that VW have now undermined any trust that I had in their emission data.

Last edited:
Back