Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All,
Only a small issue but non the less slightly annoying.
When I bought my Cali (150 Ocean DSG - delivered 20th Feb '17) VW said then and still today in their online brochure that the CO2 emissions are 163g/km. That's a VED Band G. I get a registration document from DVLA and it's showing CO2 emissions as 166g/km. That's a VED Band H. That's an extra £25 a year. I know it's not a big issue but.........
I have written to VWCS asking them to explain the discrepancy. I will let you know how it pans out.

p.s. this discrepancy is not applicable to Cali's registered after March 31st '17 as far I can see.

Hi All,
Only a small issue but non the less slightly annoying.
When I bought my Cali (150 Ocean DSG - delivered 20th Feb '17) VW said then and still today in their online brochure that the CO2 emissions are 163g/km. That's a VED Band G. I get a registration document from DVLA and it's showing CO2 emissions as 166g/km. That's a VED Band H. That's an extra £25 a year. I know it's not a big issue but.........
I have written to VWCS asking them to explain the discrepancy. I will let you know how it pans out.

p.s. this discrepancy is not applicable to Cali's registered after March 31st '17 as far I can see.

Good spot, I hadn't noticed that. My registration document is the same, I will be interested to hear the response you receive from VW.

My Ocean 150 DSG registered October 2016 is listed as 163 g/km on the registration certificate, £185 VED paid. My dealer had costed the VED as £230 on the initial invoice until I pointed out the discrepancy. They know nothing.

Mine is registered as 163 g/km too. Hard to think that there really is a difference (unless they really have changed stuff already).

My Ocean 150 DSG was registered in January 2017. The new vehicle invoice lists 12 month RFL at £185 i.e. Band G. However, the V5 definitely states CO2 as 166g/km, which as Jabberwocky noted puts it in Band H (£210)

Confusing or what?

Tyres/alloys can have an effect in CO2. I ordered the wider all weather tyres for my ocean and made a point of checking the c02 wasn't different, although I'm not 100% confident in vwcs

Tyres/alloys can have an effect in CO2. I ordered the wider all weather tyres for my ocean and made a point of checking the c02 wasn't different, although I'm not 100% confident in vwcs
Agree about the tyres etc making a difference but I kept to the std 215/17's. I am confused!

My Ocean 150 DSG was registered in January 2017. The new vehicle invoice lists 12 month RFL at £185 i.e. Band G. However, the V5 definitely states CO2 as 166g/km, which as Jabberwocky noted puts it in Band H (£210)

Confusing or what?
My new vehicle invoice also lists RFL at £185 (Tax band G)! Something is wrong here.

Having asked my dealer about this he has checked with VW dealer support. The answer given, which was news to him as well, is that each vehicle is weighed on leaving the factory. The details are passed to DVLA and a final emissions calculation made. So it appears that, depending upon the options selected, an increase in vehicle weight can result in a move to a higher Band.

A bit late now, but I wonder which option(s) made the difference for me and if they are worth the extra £25 a year ?

Having asked my dealer about this he has checked with VW dealer support. The answer given, which was news to him as well, is that each vehicle is weighed on leaving the factory. The details are passed to DVLA and a final emissions calculation made. So it appears that, depending upon the options selected, an increase in vehicle weight can result in a move to a higher Band.

A bit late now, but I wonder which option(s) made the difference for me and if they are worth the extra £25 a year ?
Indeed, but then why did the dealer only invoice £185 VED - band G? (plus first reg fee of £55)

They can't have it both ways!

Uh oh - what's the betting the infamous 5th seat is the guilty party for pushing it over the edge. Few would say it's worth £25 per year if it lives in the garage! Will hunt out my V5C and see whether I'm Band G or H (also a 150 DSG)

Uh oh - what's the betting the infamous 5th seat is the guilty party for pushing it over the edge. Few would say it's worth £25 per year if it lives in the garage! Will hunt out my V5C and see whether I'm Band G or H (also a 150 DSG)
You may be right but I don't have a 5th seat - I just checked the reg doc and guess what? It says I do have a 5th seat! I also made a check on the Gov portal and look what I found!
upload_2017-3-20_19-15-41.png
It says Band G, 163g/km and £185 VED.
Now I am totally confused!!

You may be right but I don't have a 5th seat - I just checked the reg doc and guess what? It says I do have a 5th seat! I also made a check on the Gov portal and look what I found!
View attachment 19966
It says Band G, 163g/km and £185 VED.
Now I am totally confused!!

Given how everything is done online now, I reckon it's probably better to have the lower price on DVLA website and likely to be what you end up paying if that's in their system.

Given how everything is done online now, I reckon it's probably better to have the lower price on DVLA website and likely to be what you end up paying if that's in their system.
Lets hope so.

Lets hope so.

Just to be sure I checked the information held for my Cali on the DVLA website and confirmed that as per the V5 it shows 166 g/km. So regardless of what other websites say for Calis in general, DVLA records have mine in the higher H tax band.

PS My V5 also shows seating capacity as 5, presumably theoretical as I didn't tick the 5th seat option box.

Checked DVLA's website also..... Mine's a 7-seater, 150PS, 6-Speed Manual, Beach, delivered in January 2017.... Came with 235/55R17 tyres....

DFT.GOV.UK website says 168 CO2, Tax Band H + £210 per annum.... V5C says 167 CO2

Checked DVLA's website also..... Mine's a 7-seater, 150PS, 6-Speed Manual, Beach, delivered in January 2017.... Came with 235/55R17 tyres....

DFT.GOV.UK website says 168 CO2, Tax Band H + £210 per annum.... V5C says 167 CO2
Why can't these things be simple and consistent. As you can see above they say 163 and put a different number on your V5C.......grrrrrrr!

Why can't these things be simple and consistent. As you can see above they say 163 and put a different number on your V5C.......grrrrrrr!

It will be interesting to see if the explanation you receive from VW agrees with the one I received from my dealer. I remain surprised that an individual vehicle can be deemed by DVLA to have a VED rate other than the VW 'advertised' rate and the one on a variety of websites.

Manual box has higher CO therefore £210 as opposed to £185 for auto.

Just slightly off the 150 engine conversation but the T6 VW brochure gives my 204 DSG as 177, V5 has 178. Still in Band I which is currently £230

After April first 151 - 170 will be £500 first year
171 - 190 will be £800 first year both then go to £450 per year for the next 5 years.

Hadn't spotted that differential before.

Just looking at my V5 this evening when I saw this post and checked - guess what - another difference. 150 ocean 4 motion manual - VW brochure 176g/kg - V5 179g/kg. only extras I had that could add any significant weight are diff lock , updated anti roll bars and removable tow bar. My be they do refine emissions when leave the factory.

Another here with a 150bhp DSG with 166g/km on the V5 but when I use the carfueldata website it says 163g/km and £185.

Just sent me running to my V5.
DSG 150 Beach, 2+2+1 seater, all weather tyres.
V5 says 7-seats, 162g/km.
I know the lower rate was associated with the DSG - down to the coast mode I think.

Back