Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VAT and import duties

But those are EU requirements not UK.
Not at all, they nearly all work both ways (hence the issues with people here being hit with duty and import VAT). The work visa requirements are the same for an EU-based professional coming into the UK. Not that it makes any difference who made the rules if you're the poor sod trying to do business. They should all have been fixed as part of the post-transition agreement.

We used to send a number of parcels a day within the EU in the past 12 years. However it’s now become so complex that we have decided that we will not be sending into the EU any longer. It’s far less complicated sending to The USA or Australia than to France..The last thing we want is for our European customers to get a massive tax bill when they didn’t expect it.

We used to send a number of parcels a day within the EU in the past 12 years. However it’s now become so complex that we have decided that we will not be sending into the EU any longer. It’s far less complicated sending to The USA or Australia than to France..The last thing we want is for our European customers to get a massive tax bill when they didn’t expect it.
Like I said, the EU, especially if the USA or Australia isn't a problem.

WHY does every thread have to end up in pro/anti-EU point-scoring? We’ve done that 100 times already elsewhere on the forum, so can this corner be kept as a sort of tax technical oasis where we can discuss Customs forms, the import VAT process and heady topics like diagonal cumulation.

WHY does every thread have to end up in pro/anti-EU point-scoring? We’ve done that 100 times already elsewhere on the forum, so can this corner be kept as a sort of tax technical oasis where we can discuss Customs forms, the import VAT process and heady topics like diagonal cumulation.
You pervert.

But you may have a point... could you give us a lay person's summary of how to (try to) avoid import duty and VAT being levied on personal purchases from the EU? That is, how do you avoid getting caught by rules-of-origin?

Loved reading your books as a youth Reinhold. Still running uphill on your toes chewing raw garlic?

Display Cases for Lego? Who knew that was a thing?

I'm quite bored today!

This is an article advising what EU exporters have to do to send goods to the UK.

Frankly, if I was a an EU seller of Campervan accessories, I can imagine that these steps would be extremely time consuming, and therefore expensive. If it doesn’t make economic sense for them, why would they bother?

I also think UK buyers may balk at the higher fees, courier costs and VAT at 20%. That will put them off and the UK market will dwindle further, making it even less favourable for sellers.

I’m gutted I didn’t order my Calicap pull out before they closed to UK deliveries in the autumn. I would have preferred to buy a club shop option but I really wanted a full width version. You never know, this might make it viable for them to produce more options, like Calicap did, and have a bigger market....

This may or may not be relevant but, I ordered an item from Bikester UK over the Christmas period.
Bikester are a German co but the website is co.uk and prices were/are quoted in £ including VAT and delivery. Item was showing at the time as "In Stock". Given it was a UK website I natrurally assumed in stock meant, well just that.
Total cost £645.

Today the item arrived from Germany. The UPS man on the door step demanding a further £125.

WTAF?

Probably going to have to take this one up the backside as the small print on the Bikester Website says "there may be additional duty to pay" or words to that effect.

All a bit pony really considering.

I voted Leave.
A cautionary tale.
Doubtless we’ll see more of this :-(

This is an article advising what EU exporters have to do to send goods to the UK.

Frankly, if I was a an EU seller of Campervan accessories, I can imagine that these steps would be extremely time consuming, and therefore expensive. If it doesn’t make economic sense for them, why would they bother?

I also think UK buyers may balk at the higher fees, courier costs and VAT at 20%. That will put them off and the UK market will dwindle further, making it even less favourable for sellers.

I’m gutted I didn’t order my Calicap pull out before they closed to UK deliveries in the autumn. I would have preferred to buy a club shop option but I really wanted a full width version. You never know, this might make it viable for them to produce more options, like Calicap did, and have a bigger market....
I’ve got the full width Calicap tray and it’s a nice bit of kit but any decent workshop in the UK could easily copy the design and knock them out.

Just to let everyone know we are now back to shipping to all EU countries, you will have the VAT removed from your order within the checkout

One thing we must point out for both people buying from us and and also anyone buying from the EU is that as well as the VAT at 20% , you will also be charged an admin fee by the carrier on top, this is a charge for collection the VAT, we have found this can be anything from £12 to £60 so far.

We are still open throughout lockdown and still offering next day delivery to all UK customers

Just to let everyone know we are now back to shipping to all EU countries, you will have the VAT removed from your order within the checkout

One thing we must point out for both people buying from us and and also anyone buying from the EU is that as well as the VAT at 20% , you will also be charged an admin fee by the carrier on top, this is a charge for collection the VAT, we have found this can be anything from £12 to £60 so far.

We are still open throughout lockdown and still offering next day delivery to all UK customers
Thanks is that on all orders or only those above the £135 e-commerce consignment threshold or whatever it's called?

Maybe you should start a separate thread for Campervanbits and orders coming in or out of the UK?

So is my understanding of this that any goods imported into the UK are essentially VAT free but must have duty paid on arrival?

And vice-versa in EU?
is the new VAT collector the deliveryman?

So is my understanding of this that any goods imported into the UK are essentially VAT free but must have duty paid on arrival?
Yes customs duty AND import VAT, remembering that VAT is charged on the total, ie if the product is £100 and customs duty is £20, then the import VAT at 20% is £24 on top.

[EDIT:] VAT is also on the delivery costs, AND on any special fees charged by the carrier.

The customs duty part is dependent on tariff classification and whether or not the product's country-of-origin was outside the EU.

Anyone want to correct me on that?

This article today might help to clarify. UK expecting EU suppliers to set up VAT accounts with HMRC. Most won't bother, as Calicap said it's too much hassle, not sure why we the UK are making this so hard. If importing from the US they are allowed just to deduct the tax and UK vat is paid on arrival in the UK

Just a question to Campervan bits (site shop), is this going to put the the cost of EU sourced goods they sell such a Brandrup ?

Their Answer. most products will see a price increase in 2021, whether sourced from Europe or the rest of the world. We're seeing price increases already mainly due to the impacts of brexit and Covid 19, directly affecting container shortages. We'll do our best to keep competitively priced as possible bust most product in this industry are made in China.

Ok so in my case I have bough an item from a UK website at a price shown in £ and inclusive of VAT.

The vendor then imports my item to me from Germany and I incur customs duty on top.

Next question. From who do I claim back the VAT/import duty as I’ve effectively paid twice?

Back