Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Magra drive-away awning problems

Interesting I had read the same about the bondi which I think is just the poled version of the siesta. The kela we were using in the summer had some minor pooling which would run off itself every now and then so I guess not a problem. Was after something more compact and not bothered about drive away hence looking at the bondi. I wonder if the risk is related the width of the span between the van and first pole.
Yes we needed a non driveaway option so went for the Siesta and as you say the airbean version of the Bondi. Know matter how much we tried, we could not tension the roof panel and keep the awning the correct distance from the van.

We have 2 Vango Awnings the Vango Galli compact and the Siesta. Both are rubbish and have spoilt our outing in our new California. We have just purchased the Kyham Toilet tent now.

We have 2 Vango Awnings the Vango Galli compact and the Siesta. Both are rubbish and have spoilt our outing in our new California. We have just purchased the Kyham Toilet tent now.
Very frustrating sorry to hear that. I've had a fair number of Vango tents over the years without problem but sounds like I should be looking elsewhere. Thanks for the info.

When I began this post several days ago I had hoped for a few replies from others who had perhaps had the same or similar problems, and maybe elicit a bit of advice as to how to deal with both CampervanBits and Vango. I have been overwhelmed with the response both on this and two other forums, well over 1500 hits.
A small percentage have complained about Vango products and have had no satisfaction. In my case, Vango, through CampervanBits have offered to repair the worn parts of the awning, at my expense. I understand that they are complying with their legal rights by offering a repair, and CampervanBits have agreed that they MAY be able to help with this expense. CampervanBits also say that they have no idea how long Vango will take over the repair which makes me wonder how many other problems they are dealing with?
Neither company have answered my query about the awning leaking, but that fault would appear to be the norm, apparently the material is fully waterproof until the needle goes through it, it's the stitching that leaks!
I now understand why some leave the awning at home!
Rob

Sorry you are having issues but my experience with a Vango Galli is 180 out. Has been faultless in the most horrendous weather, no leaks, no pooling and survived 65+mph winds whilst others around us were abondoning their broken tents/awnings and running for cover. It has been brilliant.

We have a Vango Magra and no issues, we have pitched on both grass and hard standing. We do use an additional groundsheet but more because it makes a great template for where to lay out the awning so it fits snug to the Van. For us an awning makes sense.

An awning makes sense to us too, and I am fairly sure we will continue to use one. Hopefully it will be the Vango Magra; it is a good size for the two of us to take the table and two chairs with room to spare, and we were able to cook under the cover of it's porch.
We also used an additional groundsheet but it did not fit under the foot of the air beams where the abrasion happened.
Obviously there will be many Magra and other awning owners who haven't experienced any problems. We have used Vango backpacking tents since the early 1970s and this is the first issue we have had.
Rob

Reactions: M&R
We also purchased a Vango 'Tolga' awning in the summer after much deliberation. It is the baby brother of the Magra and was beset with problems also. It was a £600 purchase, looked great but wasn't fit for purpose! The water pooled on the roof as the materials were 'baggy' and the Diamond clear windows were so badly crinkled and creased you could not see out of the thing! CVB advised a hairdryer on the windows to warm them up to allow the creases to drop out but thats not gonna work when camping IMHO. It was up for 5 days in the garden, pooled water and remained creased all that time in a variety of summer weather... Not good! TBF CVB did accept it back as faulty and refunded. But a waste of time and research...

we are now awning-less again, and better off for it.
Great we have bought a Tolga in April of this year but not used yet .... If I had seen comments like I have seen here I wouldn't have touched a Vango product with a barge pole.

Plus in terms of the original post Campervan Bits need to step up to the mark as they are the retailer - your contract is with them not Vango (it is up to Campervan Bits to resolve). Good guide here (ignore all the links when reading through) https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/. (sorry see someone has posted a link above)

Another potential route is to claim via your credit card company if you used one to purchase the item : https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

I will watch this thread with interest but given what has been said here I am now no longer looking forward to using my new Vango Tolga awning

Hi Everyone ,

The reason we asked this post to be removed is because we were still in communication with this customer resolving the issue, in fact we spoke to him yesterday afternoon

We pride ourselves on customer services here and we ask people to always call and speak to us if they have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top marks for restoring the thread. Even the best organisations have customer service failings from time to time, but it is how they ultimately deal with them or are seen to deal with that really matters.

Last edited:
Back