Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Magra drive-away awning problems

M

M&R

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Prior to the end of Lockdown 1 we bought a new Vango Magra awning and decided to escape to Devon for a couple of weeks, unfortunately we were visited by Storm Alex over the first weekend. The awning stood up well to the buffeting, although we did have a leak around each Air Beam, and we were on a sheltered campsite.
When we packed the awning away we noticed that the groundsheet covering the Air Beam 'foot' had worn completely through. Having purchased from CampervanBits they contacted Vango on our behalf. Vango replied that it will be a chargeable repair and inferred that we shouldn't have pitched on a hard surface. Vango do not say that the awning should only be pitched on a soft surface in their blurb.
Has anyone else had these problems?
Rob

Prior to the end of Lockdown 1 we bought a new Vango Magra awning and decided to escape to Devon for a couple of weeks, unfortunately we were visited by Storm Alex over the first weekend. The awning stood up well to the buffeting, although we did have a leak around each Air Beam, and we were on a sheltered campsite.
When we packed the awning away we noticed that the groundsheet covering the Air Beam 'foot' had worn completely through. Having purchased from CampervanBits they contacted Vango on our behalf. Vango replied that it will be a chargeable repair and inferred that we shouldn't have pitched on a hard surface. Vango do not say that the awning should only be pitched on a soft surface in their blurb.
Rob
Can I ask what surface did you pitch it on and for how long?

It’s sounds as if you had only used this drive away for a few days! What a shameful response from Vango & Campervan Bits. Surely this equipment was and is not ‘fit for purpose’? I won’t be buying or recommending from either if this is their after sales “don’t care” attitude!

Can I ask what surface did you pitch it on and for how long?
It was pitched on hardstanding for two weeks. The awning has a sewn-in groundsheet and a lot of sites will not allow use on grass. We had intended buying a Vang Cove but my wife contacted Vango and they suggested the Magra because it is made from a more substantial and hard wearing material which is better suited to three season use.

Rob
What was the explanation from Vango regarding the leak? Presumably they sell the awning as waterproof?

It’s sounds as if you had only used this drive away for a few days! What a shameful response from Vango & Campervan Bits. Surely this equipment was and is not ‘fit for purpose’? I won’t be buying or recommending from either if this is their after sales “don’t care” attitude!
The reponse from both CampervanBits and Vango has been quite rapid, the awning has been returned to CampervanBits for which we have not incurred any cost. But for a three season awning to wear through in two weeks is pretty poor.
Rob

What was the explanation from Vango regarding the leak? Presumably they sell the awning as waterproof?
The leak has been disregarded even though I have documented it to Vango and CampervanBits. We didn't sdleep in the awning and only used it to sit in during the evening so I cannot see half a mug of water pooling at the foot of each Air Beam being condensation.
Rob

Leaks as well as holes appearing, it gets worse!
We were advised by Shane at CampervanBits that any awning pitched on hard ground would wear through! We spoke to two other Cali owners with Outwell and Khyam awnings who had owned them for several years without any problems.
Rob

I’ve just been on the Vango website to look at what their warranty covers ...............

answer:
nothing within reasonable use
not leaking seams !
General wear and tear over extended use !!!
Flaws in Fabric caused by Excessive wear !!!
UV degradation !

all of the above would naturally be expected of a high performance tent ?

I would suggest you take screen shots of the website and seek some advise regarding your U.K. consumer rights and mis leading description.

Vango simply can’t impose warranty clauses that go against U.K. consumer law.
reject the tent on The basis it leaked in first use?
therefore it is not fit for purpose as their product description clearly states it is waterproof
also
they say it can be used on “challenging Terrain“:?

clearly not to both those vital issues ?

a tent should be designed for use on campsites where a van can reasonably be expected to pitch!
all campsites ? Or only those with grass?
Vango do not state this further they say it can be attached to any van, which pre disposes any pitch ?

the later is not clear from reading their description of the product.
if the product is not excluded from hard stand gravel etc why supply it with rock pegs to use on “challenging Terrain” which by its very nature implies the product is robust and fit for the purpose of camping as intended on “challenging Terrain”

I would have expected Vango to offer a repair as good will, instead they now have loads of good publicity !

good luck, look up your consumer rights

Last edited:
I’ve just been on the Vango website to look at what their warranty covers ...............

answer:
nothing within reasonable use
not leaking seams !
General wear and tear over extended use !!!
Flaws in Fabric caused by Excessive wear !!!
UV degradation !

all of the above would naturally be expected of a high performance tent ?

I would suggest you take screen shots of the website and seek some advise regarding your U.K. consumer rights and mis leading description.

Vango simply can’t impose warranty clauses that go against U.K. consumer law.
reject the tent on The basis it leaked in first use?
therefore it is not fit for purpose as their product description clearly states it is waterproof
also
they say it can be used on “challenging Terrain“:?

clearly not to both those vital issues ?

a tent should be designed for use on campsites where a van can reasonably be expected to pitch!
all campsites ? Or only those with grass?
Vango do not state this further they say it can be attached to any van, which pre disposes any pitch ?

the later is not clear from reading their description of the product.
if the product is not excluded from hard stand gravel etc why supply it with rock pegs to use on “challenging Terrain” which by its very nature implies the product is robust and fit for the purpose of camping as intended on “challenging Terrain”

I would have expected Vango to offer a repair as good will, instead they now have loads of good publicity !

good luck, look up your consumer rights

I was looking at getting one but the sewn in groundsheet was a concern with me on a hardstanding gravel pitch. I was considering getting aground sheet to go under?

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck with your claim, should say only suitable for grass pitching then.

Thank you Perfectos for taking the time to look up the Vango website and for the advice.
I had stated some of the above to Shane at CampervanBits who didn't respond. As you say, it would have been better for Vango to have read their own advertising material and not just dismiss me.
I will be taking further advice,
Rob

I was looking at getting one but the sewn in groundsheet was a concern with me on a hardstanding gravel pitch. I was considering getting aground sheet to go under?

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck with your claim, should say only suitable for grass pitching then.

From the Vango website: regarding the Magra :
Touring Awning – This awning is designed for touring use; it is not designed for static or long-term seasonal pitching as extensive exposure to UV light will cause accelerated fabric degradation.

look what Ccc says about pitch types !
they suggest a van pitch can be all weather ! I presume that could be construed as “challenging terrain” when inserting pegs ?
Vango say the awing can be attached to all vans ! It doesn’t say only grass pitches

Thanks Wogga, with the benefit of hindsight we will always place a piece of sacrificial material under the Air Beam feet in future, in fact I am informed that there is a Footprint for this awning, but apparently it doesn't extend under the feet! If you do buy a Vango Magra place a sponge in each corner to soak up the water, it amounted to half a mugful per day
Rob

When I bought my tent I was advised to buy a separate footprint ground sheet if I wanted to pitch on hard surfaces

do Vango do a specific foot print for the Magra for use on Hardstands ?
you took advise from Vango and acted on their recommendation?
what they proposed was not fit for your purpose and is not as described on the website.

edit : just seen your post above

if the foot print does not provide protection to the foot of the air beam them it would make no practical difference
ask for a refund under U.K. consumer law stating that the product is notfit for purpose it was intended to be used for and the advise Vango gave you regarding their product they recommended for your particular needs

From the Vango website: regarding the Magra :
Touring Awning – This awning is designed for touring use; it is not designed for static or long-term seasonal pitching as extensive exposure to UV light will cause accelerated fabric degradation.

look what Ccc says about pitch types !
they suggest a van pitch can be all weather ! I presume that could be construed as “challenging terrain” when inserting pegs ?
Vango say the awing can be attached to all vans ! It doesn’t say only grass pitches

I can assure Vango there was not too much UV light about in early October to cause that much degradation, and precious little would get under the groundsheet!

When I bought my tent I was advised to buy a separate footprint ground sheet if I wanted to pitch on hard surfaces

do Vango do a specific foot print for the Magra for use on Hardstands ?
you took advise from Vango and acted on their recommendation?
what they proposed was not fit for your purpose and is not as described on the website.
Again I mentioned about the Footprint to Shane at CampervanBits and he replied that in order to match prices with competitors they felt it was not ideal to mention and extra cost
Rob

I can assure Vango there was not too much UV light about in early October to cause that much degradation, and precious little would get under the groundsheet!
£850 sheets for one use !
come on no judge in the world would uphold the warranty refusal let alone the water leaks on first use.

Vango, you just lost a shed load of customers based on your warranty exclusions and customer experience!

read this carefully :

Vango Magra VW
AWQMAGRA M23A3G

New for 2020, the Magra awning is designed in the new VW size perfect for campervans and conversions. This inflatable awning has a front and back entrance so is ideal for left or right main van doors, allowing you to create the perfect set up on any campsite. The front door has an eyebrow canopy to keep you dry if it's raining whilst the back has a sweeping canopy ideal for muddy boots and creating a more usable space at the back of your campervan. The Sentinel Sport Fabric is strong, waterproof and designed to create a small pack size whilst

Last edited:
Perfect set up on Any campsite ?
the fabric is strong & waterproof ?

£850 sheets for one use !
come on no judge in the world would uphold the warranty refusal let alone the water leaks on first use.

Vango, you just lost a shed load of customers based on your warranty exclusions and customer experience!
Unfortunately our experience with the ingress of water in a Vango Air Beam awning is not a one-off, there is a video which has been posted on another site showing the same problem that we endured. Apparently Vango failed to respond on that occasion also.
Rob

Back